TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
TD Ameritrade CEO & President Tim Hockey
Tim Hockey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great mid size company with good work life balance (in 59 reviews)

• This is a solid firm with good benefits and perks (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is bad, overtimes and weekend work are normal things (in 14 reviews)

• Promotional opportunities are limited to other departments in the call center until you have put in a certain amount of time (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Been here a while..."

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Pay for performance culture. New executives with a focus on being at the front of technology and the trends in the market. Opportunity for growth with the recent Scottrade acquisition.

Cons

Compliance heavy for branch associates when it comes to documenting in a wide array of places. Gotta bring high energy every day to hit your performance metrics.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for branch associates to do their job. Technology, documentation, and accessibility of systems outside of the office.

2. ".Good place to start, excellent oppurtunity to advance."

Current Employee - . Egistered Representative
    Current Employee - . Egistered Representative

Pros

Very employee orientated. Lots of "fun days" Many free giveaways, excellent Christmas party.

Cons

Getting yelled at by clients.Sometimes people who didn't work as hard was rewarded more than those who were carrying most of the work. It looks like they are working on fixing that problem now. Job can be a drag on day by day, with clients yelling at you and calling you all sorts of colorful names, but you'll get that in any brokerage industry. 99% of the time, the client screwed up and you had to sit there and listen to them take it out on you. You get used to it after awhile.

Advice to Management

Job well done. Never had any problems with Senior Management.

3. "I am proud to work at a firm with such integrity!"

Current Employee - Senior Broker in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Broker in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

While other firms are struggling TD Ameritrade, with it's conservative outlook, is proserping. The firm has a great training program and offers growth opportunities for the right person. I am proud to work for a firm with such great integrity!

Cons

Being a broker is a stressful and demanding job, at any firm. Working on a phone bank is stressful. Combining the two is too much for many people. If you both believe in the concept of the "discount broker" and can handle the combined demands of being a stock broker and working in a call center environment, this may be just the right job for you.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing. The changes to our training are wonderful. TD Ameritrade has been great for myself and my family!

"Great People, Environment, and Benefits"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

TD Ameritrade offers great people, benefits, and work environment for a job which can otherwise be unappealing. They ahve worked hard to keep the environment from being a call center and creating a more professional atmosphere for their employees. The benefits are great and offer a wide range of options for health, dental, vision, 401K, profit sharing, disability, life, and other incentives such as Paid time off, along with reimbursement for wellness activities.

Cons

I have yet to find much as far as downsides go. With the current economic environment chances for moving up in the company have been limited as expenses are being watched closely, But they have programs in place to allow employees to move up quickly through the company.

Advice to Management

None, The Sr. Management i have contact with are very respectful and work hard to ensure the happiness of their teams.

5. "Warm Welcome"

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Opportunities for advancement
    Colleagues are professional, knowledgable
    Support and technology enable me to focus almost 100% on sales
    Company is positioned for tremendous growth

Cons

Company has corporate hubs in boring places like Omaha, NE and Draper, UT--so be prepared to travel to unglamorous places for training.

Advice to Management

Maybe need to hire more people from outside, to gain broader knowledge base of how to build a more sales-oriented culture.

6. "Most well-run and organized company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

The senior management is very competent and have their priorities set on improving client and associate experience. The company is extremely well-organized and as an associate you dont need to run around for answers to your questions. The atmosphere is extremely motivating and healthy.

Cons

In my past two years with the company, I really have had no negative experiences. However, they could be a little more competative with compensation.

7. "Educational"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

People, recognition, benefits, educational resources

Cons

Career progression can be difficult to come by.

"Great time working there"

Former Employee - Retail Branch Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Retail Branch Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at TD Ameritrade part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gave me the freedom to work on my time, I got great experience through the internship. I came out much more comfortable talking about various securities, but also I got comfortable with dealing with clients and speaking with business professionals

Cons

I could tell when I first got there, that this branch does really deal with intern all that often and they weren't really sure how to handle me, and they did not always have work for me to do which lead to a good amount of down time.

Advice to Management

develop an internship program for the retail branches

"Great place work"

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits and excellent bonus program

Cons

growing pains very fast paced

Advice to Management

lean yourself out....management needs to practice what they preach

10. "Great company, great culture focused on customer and employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TD Ameritrade is a company with smart people and a great culture. The values and company vision are known throughout and there is an accountability for demonstrating those every day. Has a great culture of recognition and this sense of energy to get things done.

Cons

TD Ameritrade is still establishing a lot of processes and while the client facing technology is amazing the technology internally isn't as cutting edge. There is also a lot of high achiever/low collaboration behavior.