TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

TD Ameritrade CEO & President Tim Hockey
Tim Hockey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance is bad, overtimes and weekend work are normal things (in 14 reviews)

• Promotional opportunities are limited to other departments in the call center until you have put in a certain amount of time (in 26 reviews)

1. "Great place to work for good life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Relationship Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and salary is competitive with industry

Cons

I don't see any negatives!

"Awesome place to work great management."

Current Employee - Senior Financial Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, draw and commission. Uncomplicated offerings, no jacks of all trades, low risk to losing your license or getting into compliance issues. This is a solid firm with good benefits and perks. Vacation time is decent, some volunteer time off too. You get a book of business and do not have to bring in your old clients or friends to survive. Lot's of training always seeking to be better for the clients, generous with employees and very good management.

Senior Financial Consultants do not recommend stock or any type of investment, you are not executing trades all day!

Cons

Trying to figure out how to take this transaction driven trading platform model to a relationship model making too complicated on the other hand I have respect for the fact that you have postponed it to iron out the issues.

Advice to Management

If you are going to go relationship driven, just pay on the book like wholesaling works. I t will be hard to turn this into a relationship driven form if you still have self directed traders as 90 % of the book. You cannot punish the SFC and FC's for people leaving it is too hard to control even if there is a relationship. Don't make hasty decisions about this topic.

I you want clients to be in a relationship you have to tell them when they open an account, you have to put the SFC/FC's name on their account online or in paper statements. Tell the clients what our job is and how we serve them, we will drive it home when we call them.

On the whole you are doing an amazing job!

Aug 4, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We’re so glad to hear you’ve had a great experience working at TD Ameritrade!

"Team Manager"

Former Employee - Team Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Team Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company does invest a great deal in to Employee morale. There are inclusion programs to promote diversity.

Td Ameritrade has budgets dedicated to Team events.

The company sponsors the Special Olympics, Pride Day etc. and they are constantly planning company-wide events.

They do offer quarterly bonuses however the weighting of the bonuses can be inconsistent.

The facilities are nice and they have an in-house cafe, but it is pretty expensive.

Cons

There are the usual gaps between associate to manager to director etc.

Management is actually not diverse in nature. Mostly Caucasian males that have association with other managers. I am not Caucasian, but as a manager I was not part of the Good Ol' Boys scotch club. Yes, that's a real thing.

There isn't any accountability for managers' availability to their associates despite a "required" 10 hour work day. However I was instructed to keep constant records of my associate's attendance.

Company is still in process of implementing the Lean Process in to their operations and service departments and it is not functioning properly. Managers have lost their jobs due to their lack of support for Lean.

For some positions, management in particular, you will be terminated if you do not pass your 7, 63 and 24 licenses. Exceptions can be made to side-step or demote an associate or manager, however this is not "normally" the case.

Managers are now required to produce technological advances, procedural upgrades or some sort of improvement to the overall operations or service center, if not, they too are subject to termination. This is expected in addition to your daily workload.

You will see some illegalities taking place at this workplace as well. TD Ameritrade Inst. currently employs a Drug Dealer who actually deals drugs to members of the management team as well as associates. This person actually does so on the company premises as well as at company events. This person has avoided termination from three different teams.

There have been inappropriate relationships between managers that have been reported and ignored. One specifically resulted in the female associate receiving a promotion and the male manager going unpunished.

You will also see inappropriate interactions between travelling Executives, Directors and Managers when they are visiting from Dallas Ft Worth, Omaha or New Jersey and female associates.

Parking is a bit of nightmare as they share the space with a 3d printing company.

Advice to Management

The organization needs to do a better job of promoting associates based on Merit not Office Politics.

I would not continue to allow illegal activity to be conducted in your building nor should you employ individuals that would take part in said activity.

I would also do a better of job of promoting an equal work place where women don't feel like they have to be inappropriate in order to progress, while also taking disciplinary action against those in management who look to take advantage of those relationships.

I would also reconsider the licensing requirements as you are hemorrhaging talented associates and managers that cannot simply be replaced.

Aug 9, 2017

At TD Ameritrade, focusing on our people is our priority. We strive to provide a positive and substance free work environment for all our employees. As part of our culture and our guiding core... More

4. "Exceeds Expectations -- could even be outstanding!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, at this client & employee-focused firm.
    The company really tries to walk the talk with respect to its “core values”.
    Great opportunities available for the right person in the right role.
    Reasonable work/life balance for a trading firm.
    Good salaries, great benefits, great HR & L&D (learning & development) teams.
    Target bonuses paid four times a year.
    Great, pro-active support for professional development in the form of training,etc.
    Did I mention, great people?

Cons

TDA is a large firm which has grown thru acquisition and with the Scottrade merger getting larger still: despite all the focus on agility, it may be nearly impossible for a firm this size to be as agile & as transparent as you’d like, especially with the legacy tools (e.g. Remedy) and bureaucracy, but please keep trying!

The firm's approach to things like security (you can’t bake it in after the fact no matter how many different groups you have probing software post-install), and DevOps (hint: “if you have a DevOps team, you’re doing it wrong!”) needs updating.

The company’s laudable approach to not destroying the culture of the companies it acquires does lead to the company feeling more like a hyrdra (ToS, Ameritrade, TD…) rather than the single, living firm it would like to be. Ann Arbor ; Chicago ; Omaha; JC; Columbia almost feel like completely different companies.

Advice to Management

Definitely headed in the right direction; recent changes at the top, focus on agility, etc. are all very good signs.

Aug 4, 2017

5. "Financial Consultant"

Current Employee - Financial Consultant
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Best sales training

Cons

None so far! Best company I've worked for!

Jul 25, 2017

We love your feedback and are glad that you rank TD Ameritrade in such high fashion as a great company to work for! It sounds like you are making the most of the opportunities that are offered here... More

"Data Analyst"

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Average benefits, healthcare is OK.

Cons

Business is very demanding. Need to work week days and weekends.

Advice to Management

Respect employees time.

Jul 25, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. There are many different job roles at TD Ameritrade and some of our positions have more demand in hours than others. We try to our best to offer schedules that fit our... More

7. "N/a"

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great resources to get licensing. Coworkers and managers are friendly and team oriented. Great company

Cons

Can't think of any cons

Jul 25, 2017

Here's hoping that your positive experience only continues to get better over time! We appeciate your positive outlook and hope you have a long career at TD Ameritrade.

8. "Missed it by "that much"..."

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding company to work for! I've never been treated so well by an employer! Everyone bends over backwards to help

Cons

I had to leave because I came up short on a passing grade on the Series 7 by one percentage point

Advice to Management

None

Jul 21, 2017

Thanks for your response. We're glad you had a positive experience here at TD Ameritrade!

9. "Trainee"

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Amazing building & people. Excited to come to wrk each day! I'll truly be sad if I'm not hired on full-time.

Cons

I'm in training for my series 7. I learn & comprehend better than sitting in front of a computer all day. I don't want to be a stock broker. However, I was told that I had to pass my series 7 to be offered any job @TD.

Advice to Management

Even though 7 is on a computer, identify & reach out to those who haven't studied in this fashion. I am smart but this course study is intimidating.

Aug 10, 2017

Thank you! We’re very proud of the culture at TD Ameritrade, and we all work hard to ensure that values resonate in the relationships we build and the work we do. TD Ameritrade may provide... More

10. "Relationship Manager"

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Great Atmosphere
    Size of company allows you to learn various parts of brokerage business

Cons

Lower pay than other companies

Advice to Management

value employees

Jul 19, 2017

Thank you for your feedback! Our company is growing rapidly so there will be even more opportunities to learn different parts of the industry. Regarding compensation, we receive consistent positive... More