TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

TD Ameritrade Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • great culture and work life balance (in 51 reviews)

• If you are newly licensed and YOUNG, TD Ameritrade is a good place to start your career (in 17 reviews)

Cons

"Haven't seen effort to promote"

Current Employee - Command Center Network Technician II in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Command Center Network Technician II in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits, gives that push for education.

Cons

Haven't seen much effort to promote from within.. could just be department, but I haven't seen strive for it.

Advice to Management

Promotion, especially for those that prove the knowledge.

"Epitome of Micromanagement"

Current Employee - Registered Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Registered Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent foot in the door into the financial services industry. Management teams hold a pretty open door policy as well.

Cons

You cannot go one day without micromanagement taking over your role. There are coaching sessions frequently, which seem to focus primarily on things you could or should improve on, therefore morale is quite low on a day to day basis. The job is extremely understated in job postings and does not meet expectations for many.

Advice to Management

While I understand the sensitive nature of financial services, micromanagement seems to be negatively spoken about by many of your associates at different levels.

May 24, 2017

Thank you for your comments. You are correct that Financial Services is a highly regulated business industry to be in. Individual Development Plans created specifically between your manager and ... More

3. "Extremely supportive"

Former Employee - Senior Investment Advisor in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Investment Advisor in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good, the employees I've worked around have been made up of individuals that ha e become lifelong and close friends, this organization hires quality people

Cons

Training is difficult and seems insufficient in ways that keep employees from success, work can drag at times as an investment consultant.

Advice to Management

Management has been great at the branch and team level in my experience.

Apr 11, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. I agree, we do have amazing benefits. TD Ameritrade offers competitive health insurance benefits that provide quality hospital, physician and pharmacy coverage for our ... More

"Loved my job"

Former Employee - Transfers Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Transfers Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, monthly incentives, good 401k match, good health care plans. The people I worked with were awesome and communicated well.

Cons

Communication in some departments was lacking between Management and employees. Communications between departments also needed help.

Advice to Management

Always work on better ways to communicate as a whole. Also respect and listen to your employees, they may have some really great ideas.

May 23, 2017

We appreciate you sharing your feedback on the culture and strong relationships here at TD Ameritrade, and we owe it to our employees! Associate feedback is what drives our company to deliver great ... More

"Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Had a good manager and worked on a good team. There are opportunities for advancement if you perform well. I had very few complaints. Great health benefits and other little perks such as office lunches, etc. Bonuses are very consistent. I had to leave for personal reasons and would have preferred to stay.

Cons

not many. a little bureaucratic and highly-regulated. lots of red tape to go through for SEC when coming onboard.

7. "Visual Design Manager"

Current Employee - Visual Design Manager in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Visual Design Manager in Draper, UT

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture, strong company, cares about associates and clients

Cons

Large and slow moving at times

8. "Great culture, fun environment"

Current Employee - Rep in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Rep in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Culture. Fun and Midwesty. When executed properly Lean makes Associates feel vested, engaged, and part of the solution. Great place to spend 8 hours a day.

Cons

Flat organization. Too much revenue derived from trading and that revenue is being slashed due to commission wars. Lean when not executed properly can feel like micro managing.

Advice to Management

Let's use our spunk to be cutting edge rather than stay status quo.

Mar 23, 2017

Thank you! We’re very proud of the culture at TD Ameritrade, and we all work hard to ensure that values resonate in the relationships we build and the work we do. As a growing company, we are ... More

9. "Very good company to work for. Excellent culture."

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many opportunities to train in new technology. Great access to executive management who are receptive to suggestions from lower level employees.

Cons

Some regional bias in strategy decisions. The company relies to heavily on outside consulting engagements with a track record of worse ROI than internal resources.

Advice to Management

Firm is a bit top heavy. Could benefit from a flatter org chart.

Mar 23, 2017

Thank you for the feedback! We’re very proud of the culture at TD Ameritrade, and we all work hard to ensure that values resonate in the relationships we build and the work we do. We ... More

10. "Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is a great company is fairly family oriented, benefits are comparable with the big financial houses and they pay for performance on a quarterly basis. So you can really gauge your performance.

Cons

The company has a bit too many passive aggressive people that hold back progress by not stating the truth on issues or processes until things are on verge of breaking.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all these people that really do share in company culture or strive for a higher level of performance.

Mar 17, 2017

Thank you for the very thoughtful feedback. TD Ameritrade consistently strives to provide a competitive compensation structure, and often goes above and beyond business averages with offerings such ... More

"Superb training for Series 7 & Series 63"

Former Employee - Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TDA uses a top-notch training course to prepare its new hires to take the Series 7 and Series 63 before starting broker training.

And if you're into healthy food, you'll really appreciate the cafeteria at the Fort Worth Alliance Gateway office. And at incredibly low prices. The company must subsidize the food prices, they are so low, which is good because you only have 30 minutes for lunch, so everyone eats on location.

Cons

While on the one hand they stand strong on honesty and integrity, on the other hand they have one team manager in training who was guiding us to be "sharks" and "eat the client". He even proudly told of his history of selling overpriced stocks to lonely old ladies back in the day, as if we should emulate his methods.

They also push the gay/trans agenda very hard there with constant posters, e-mails, seminars, parades, and even little reminders during the daily team huddles. Is there such a think as too much sensitivity training?

Advice to Management

Can you lay off the gay thing a little, please, already?