TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

TD Ameritrade Reviews

Updated January 11, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great mid size company with good work life balance (in 59 reviews)

• This is a solid firm with good benefits and perks (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is bad, overtimes and weekend work are normal things (in 15 reviews)

• Promotional opportunities are limited to other departments in the call center until you have put in a certain amount of time (in 27 reviews)

"Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training is great for series 7.

Cons

It's a call center not a brokerage firm. Metrics are based on CSI measurements not how well you know your job.

Advice to Management

Tell people when they interview that 90% of the calls you get are password reset and TD systems always go down driving high call volume.

"Investment Consultant"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade (More than 10 years)

Pros

Branch was enjoyable and met some good people for the last 10+ years. A long time ago we were charged with doing the right thing for our clients.

Cons

IC pay over the last 5-7 has trended downward. Yes TDA management will say that target comp has gone up, but the reality is that sales targets have gone up while payouts have decreased, and that is indisputable. But far worse than that are the inherent conflicts of interest. Once upon a time all advice solutions were considered "one target/one bucket" and thus one payout regardless of solution. Then TDA added the INHERENT CONFLICT OF INTEREST by placing a heavier weighting and payout on proprietary/in house solutions. And that was the end of a great era. From that point on we no longer had conversations amongst colleagues about "what's the singular best solution for the client", but rather "how can I split client asset amongst different solutions to maximize my stack ranking and payout".

TDA has promoted "people matter" and "client centric" or whatever the catchphrase du jour is today, but in reality it's all about the shareholder at this point.

Advice to Management

For the past 2 years you have waffled back and forth on a "relationship/advice model" and are still stuck at ground zero. And part of this is because you are trying to take the company in this direction with the same middle and upper management that has NEVER operated in a "relationship/advice model".

"Great! Enjoy the culture and people I work with."

Current Employee - Trader in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Trader in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Licensing, able to be sponsored for series 7,63,66,3,34 fairly easy so long as you show interest. Great culture, good management, good company.

Cons

Difficult to move up, you move sideways but a bit difficult to move up. Have to jump through major hoops for promotion.

Advice to Management

When people enjoy their job, meeting numbers is easy.

Dec 8, 2017

Thank you for feedback. TD Ameritrade is proud of of the company and the cuture we have developed. It is a great place to grow and develop your career in financial services. We do promote from... More

"place sucks"

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none i hate working here

Cons

working here is a slow death. New regionals are despicable humans

Advice to Management

i'll be gone in a few months and taking my clients with me. Keep doing what you . are doing. Status quo always works out right?

5. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Big enough to matter, small enough to care

Cons

very conservative dealing with investment laws

"Financial Services - Trainee"

Former Employee - Financial Services - Trainee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Financial Services - Trainee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid training, opportunity to get licensed,

Cons

Miscommunication and no organization, they force you to dump the way you've been learning all your life to follow their process, the learning environment is not great, if you fail the test they will reach out to you about a job opportunity and then you'll never hear from them again.

Advice to Management

Study time for the Series 7 needs to be longer. Some people can't rush their learning capability. Have clear instructions set for those who do not pass the test. Remember that sone people left their jobs for yours so just brushing then off in the end really shows the type of company you really are.

Dec 19, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Support

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience with us. We try very hard to provide learning & development opportunities to our employees that help... More

"management destines this company to be a follower"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Consultant

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good mix of diverse quality employees.

Cons

Talk the talk of putting the client first, but the compensation forces the talented staff to be at conflict with that goal. Middle management full of lifers afraid to push back to stagnating management decisions.

Advice to Management

Try to lead rather than pace Schwab, 5 years behind. The call nights are probably illegal and cultivate resentment.

"Senior Financial Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Consultant

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

TD Ameritrade has a complex from being in the shadow of Fidelity and Schwab since their inception. It used to be a fun place to work, but, upon change after change after change in upper management, the job has deteriorated into a bad place to work.

Cons

You earn PTO and then are criticized when you use it. Expensive benefits. Management by intimidation. Micro-management. Leads to the branch are manipulated. Favoritism is a heavy function at this employer. This company can't quite decide what it wants to be; it keeps talking about how the Branch role is "Relationship Management" but they only care about stuffing all clients into their very narrow offerings that consistently under-performs the benchmark. Having a designation of CFP (and other designations) doesn't allow you more autonomy. They consistently drive away older employees and they are involved in many lawsuits due to wrongful termination.

Advice to Management

Stop managing by fear and intimidation. Get control of the Branch Managers. However, the Branch Managers are out of control due to upper management intimidation.

Nov 10, 2017

At TD Ameritrade we offer a competitive PTO package, because we recognize that it is important for our employees to have time away for a healthy work/life balance. Employees are encouraged to us... More

9. "Great company"

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Culture, Pay, Flexible, Diverse, Fun, Room for growth

Cons

It is what you make of it, no company is 100% perfect.

Advice to Management

Always treat people well.

"Financial Consultant"

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

West Palm Branch members A rated

Cons

Upper management disconnected in 2015

Advice to Management

Revert back to the time when there was a great connection to what actually happens on the ground level.