TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

TD Ameritrade Reviews

Updated April 27, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • great culture and work life balance (in 51 reviews)

• If you are newly licensed and YOUNG, TD Ameritrade is a good place to start your career (in 17 reviews)

1. "HR Business Partner"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility, great management and culture.

Cons

Takes a while to get up to speed on the business.

Feb 13, 2017

Thank you, we’re so glad to hear you’ve had a great experience working at TD Ameritrade! We’re very proud of the culture at TD Ameritrade, and we all work hard to ensure that values resonate in the ... More

"HR policies ruin this place"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Engaging varied work, small company enough to make positive change if you want

Cons

HR pay policies are garbage. Raises for lateral moves and even promotions are a joke. They'd rather pay an external hire considerably more and onboard them than compensate their current employees fairly. They'll feed you the line that it's a great opportunity for experience. I don't work for experience, I work to get paid. Thanks for padding my resume with 'experience' it helped me land a good job elsewhere where I am compensated fairly.

Sr management is so transparent in their attempts to get their minion team managers to drink the kool-aide. It's a joke and borderline manipulative. I've never worked at another company that fosters resentment between different sites (Omaha, FTW, Chicago) the way they do at tda.

Advice to Management

Good luck, as long as HR has management by the throat with regard to compensation youll continue to lose your best externally.

Sr management only cares about lining their own pockets, so HRs grip is unlikely to loosen anytime soon.

Mar 21, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I can provide a little insight into our compensation practices. We consider an applicant’s and employee’s skills, knowledge and experience as well as ... More

"Great Company; Even Better Culture"

Current Employee - Enterprise Project Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Enterprise Project Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great opportunities for advancement.
    - Fantastic culture and core values.
    - Community Involvement is encouraged.
    - Fantastic amenities and facilities.
    - Flexible Schedules.
    - Really great outlook!

Cons

- As the company has gotten larger and more successful, some policies and procedures can feel a bit bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

- Reduce the number of in-flight projects and focus the organization on only those that will help us achieve the most impact. Focus more on the outcomes than the output.
    - Continue to flatten the organization by decentralizing decision making. Let the teams closest to the work make decisions and only centralize those that have strategic or enterprise impacts.

5. "Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Business partners are thoughtful and involved. Associates are great. Nice "extra" benefits - gym, cafeteria, new building, green space.

Cons

A political and nonconfrontational company

Mar 3, 2017

So glad to hear you have been with us for 8+ years. At TDA our People Matter – and that does mean working to ensure that our employees have access to options that help keep them physically and ... More

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, 3 weeks vacation to start, new gear to use and software developers are key to company success so your work matters. Allowed to work from home when needed and we now are doing Agile throughout company.

Cons

Large company can get lost in the numbers, many offices and divisions. At times there are too many meetings that take away from development time, especially around quarter ends.

Advice to Management

Don't lose your focus on technology this will be the difference over the years to come if the company is still the leader of the industry. Remember to pay software developers more or they will accept jobs with your competition.

Jan 24, 2017 – Executive Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We do have great benefits and we are very flexible with hours and working from home. TD Ameritrade is also a growing company but I think the use of ... More

7. "New Client Development"

Current Employee - New Client Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - New Client Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big earnings potential
    Recognition
    Solid work/life balance
    Company culture that cares about all stakeholders involved
    Career development is very important to all

Cons

Call center mentality
    Support staff can be hit or miss
    Super busy at some points causing you to take on different tasks

Advice to Management

Thanks for looking out for your associates and clients - props to those managers who are first to take calls during busy times

Jan 24, 2017 – Executive Assistant

Thank you for your comment. Career development is important and moving throughout the company is encouraged. The opportunity to take on different tasks facilitates this movement.

"Glass cubicles are still cubicles"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits and abundant time off

Cons

you are a computer and expected to answer 60-70 calls per day

Advice to Management

give 3 consecutive weeks for series 7 study time

Mar 2, 2017

Great to hear you've been with us for more than 3 years! We do strive to provide an environment that helps our employees maintain a healthy work/life balance with many of our locations offering ... More

9. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work for.
    Great mentorship.
    Great Cafeteria
    Great atmosphere.
    Great advancement opportunities after being in position for at least 6 months.
    Great training.

Cons

Want to work for them again.

Advice to Management

Keep the Mentoring program up.

Jan 10, 2017 – Executive Assistant

Thanks for your comment! TD Ameritrade is a great place to work. We have new positions opening up all the time. Check out our Careers page (https://jobs.tdameritrade.com/search-jobs ... More

10. "Solid Start to a Career"

Current Employee - Securities Lending Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Securities Lending Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to gain some experience. The work environment is really casual and laid back so that's nice. The current department probably isn't my first choice but there are many opportunities for lateral movement. They really stress that which is okay but like many others out there, I would prefer to advance upward at some point.

Cons

The department I'm has many regulations to follow and thus, has numerous tasks that need to get done by certain times in the day. That can be tough when some of the systems crash during the day. I also thought I'd enjoy the earlier hours I work (6:30-3:00) but it is quickly getting old.

Advice to Management

Have more clear explanation to new hires about the systems that they use. I understood what the job generally entailed and what I would be doing but had no clue about the many different programs and systems that I'd be using. So in general, maybe just some clearer directions.

Jan 10, 2017 – Executive Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to comment. TD Ameritrade is a highly regulated business, as is the case with any business in the financial industry. We are always looking for ways to improve and ... More

11. "Great place, with room and willingness to get better"

Current Employee - Software Developer Consultant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Software Developer Consultant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and corporate culture are excellent. There's an ubiquitous continuous improvement mindset. You are given permission to fail and don't get your head chopped off for it. The industry is interesting and TD Ameritrade is an industry leader. They take good care of their people. 40 hours means 40 hours. Work schedule is flexible within reason. I have no problems getting permission to telecommute when family situations require it. 2 weeks PAternity leave! Great health care. Nice facilities: cafeteria, gym, ample meeting rooms with good technology to facilitate meetings across multiple sites. Plenty of vacation and often early dismissals (post market close) before a holiday (not policy, but common practice)

Cons

Can be a bit slow when adopting changes, but this is improving. Not "insurance industry slow", but certainly not fast enough. No H1B sponsorship, so sometimes teams lose good people who hit an immigration expiration. It's difficult to fire people who don't meet expectations if they don't do something worthy of immediate termination. So sometimes you're stuck with a low performer until all of their second chances run out (a year or more).

Advice to Management

The new CIO seems to be making all of the right moves. Good people are getting positioned where they can make a difference and some of the less progressive management have seen their influence and team sizes reduced. But every improvement project seems to be hampered by the insistence that it not interfere with current objectives. "Put racing tires on the car, but don't stop to do it! Balance it on two wheels and change one side at a time while we keep rolling." It makes every improvement project take longer than necessary.