TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

TD Ameritrade Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • great culture and work life balance (in 51 reviews)

• If you are newly licensed and YOUNG, TD Ameritrade is a good place to start your career (in 17 reviews)

"Financial Rep"

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Omaha, NE

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it's a job, you come in work your 8 hours and go home. pretty much it, nothing more then a glorified call center.

Cons

unless you like answering 60+ phone calls everyday from irate customers DO NOT WORK HERE. it's a call center no matter how much they hype it in the interview process. You get your licenses 7 and 63, then be prepared to be on the phones 8 hours a day for a meager $16 dollars an hour with managers micromanaging you every second. If you want to keep your insanity look for another job

May 23, 2017

Thank you for sharing your experience in this role. At TD Ameritrade you can apply for a variety of jobs including Compliance, Processing, Information Technology, or HR among many others if ... More

"glass ceiling"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good for a quick start to get an experience and then better to move on for something different as you meet your glass ceiling here.

Cons

You're doing the same things for years with no being promoted and with a little sal increase. Managers tend to give empty promises and then not to execute them. Work/life balance is bad, overtimes and weekend work are normal things.

Advice to Management

Not to promise to their staff some benefits if you're not going to do that.

"Senior Financial Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Investment Consultant in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Investment Consultant in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great position to get experience. There is constant focus on getting better.

Cons

This applies mainly to call center advisors. There has been significant and regular pay cuts over the past 3-4 years. Brick and mortar locations will always have an advantage due to the money in motion rule and being able to speak off of the recorded line. The only actual advising you get to do is with the in house portfolios. All other advice is delegated to either RIAs or Bond representatives. This is detrimental to a book of business model because you will get penalized on assets leaving your "book". This is a great job if you wish to be a financial advisor with training wheels.

Advice to Management

If you want to truly act as a fiduciary eliminate the "bucket system" and compensate your representatives based on overall revenue being produced. Be straight forward with the percentage payout on the recurring revenue for your advisors.

5. "Great job and great place to work!"

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family Culture, Salary, Ability to move laterally or vertically into other positions

Cons

Must pass Series 7 and Series 63 for most entry level jobs.

Feb 28, 2017 – Executive Assistant

Thank you for your feedback and for all the pros you've pointed out. I would also like to mention that we have just opened up a couple hundred intern positions countrywide, that do not require a ... More

6. "TD Ameritrade"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great hours, good benefits and great culture

Cons

must get SEC certified and take several exams

Advice to Management

great job

Feb 28, 2017 – Executive Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Sounds like you enjoy working at TD Ameritrade and we're glad you are here!

"Strongly urge to stay away from this company!"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Draper, UT

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are very little pros that I could opine about TD Ameritrade. The top performing reps can make a great income but that's for the small select of registered reps.

Cons

Only a small select number make a good income. Management is very cutthroat as well as broker jobs. Negative work environment. Under value their employees.

Advice to Management

Create a company that is enticing to work for.

Mar 21, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. I’m sorry to hear about your experience. TD Ameritrade places great emphasis on providing a positive and engaging employee experience at all ... More

8. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team effort by various product groups

Cons

Turnover of Senior product management

Advice to Management

Focus more on Long term investing and providing value added services

Feb 13, 2017

Thank you for taking time to comment. Team collaboration is very important to us. TD Ameritrade values your feedback so we can continue to improve our practices.

9. "HR Business Partner"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility, great management and culture.

Cons

Takes a while to get up to speed on the business.

Feb 13, 2017

Thank you, we’re so glad to hear you’ve had a great experience working at TD Ameritrade! We’re very proud of the culture at TD Ameritrade, and we all work hard to ensure that values resonate in the ... More

"HR policies ruin this place"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Team Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Engaging varied work, small company enough to make positive change if you want

Cons

HR pay policies are garbage. Raises for lateral moves and even promotions are a joke. They'd rather pay an external hire considerably more and onboard them than compensate their current employees fairly. They'll feed you the line that it's a great opportunity for experience. I don't work for experience, I work to get paid. Thanks for padding my resume with 'experience' it helped me land a good job elsewhere where I am compensated fairly.

Sr management is so transparent in their attempts to get their minion team managers to drink the kool-aide. It's a joke and borderline manipulative. I've never worked at another company that fosters resentment between different sites (Omaha, FTW, Chicago) the way they do at tda.

Advice to Management

Good luck, as long as HR has management by the throat with regard to compensation youll continue to lose your best externally.

Sr management only cares about lining their own pockets, so HRs grip is unlikely to loosen anytime soon.

Mar 21, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I can provide a little insight into our compensation practices. We consider an applicant’s and employee’s skills, knowledge and experience as well as ... More

"Great Company; Even Better Culture"

Current Employee - Enterprise Project Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Enterprise Project Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Great opportunities for advancement.
    - Fantastic culture and core values.
    - Community Involvement is encouraged.
    - Fantastic amenities and facilities.
    - Flexible Schedules.
    - Really great outlook!

Cons

- As the company has gotten larger and more successful, some policies and procedures can feel a bit bureaucratic.

Advice to Management

- Reduce the number of in-flight projects and focus the organization on only those that will help us achieve the most impact. Focus more on the outcomes than the output.
    - Continue to flatten the organization by decentralizing decision making. Let the teams closest to the work make decisions and only centralize those that have strategic or enterprise impacts.