TD Ameritrade Reviews | Glassdoor

TD Ameritrade Reviews

Updated June 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

"Investment Counselor Pros and Cons"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in Encino, CA

Pros

This is a cake walk of a sales job if you are willing to do what you are told, sell what you are told to sell and smile and dial away. There is not a lot of thought involved and you can make a good living doing this.

Cons

There is absolutely no creativity in the position. If you want to succeed while thinking outside the box or give personal recommendations, it's not going to happen.

Advice to Management

There's not a lot of of advise to give here. You guys do what you do well and help bring people to success.

2. "Risk Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great culture, team oriented environment, great health insurance

Cons

pay is okay, increase pay

"Pros and Cons"

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Campbell, CA

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, well-known, easy money if convincing a large client to invest in Amerivest

Cons

Changing management, average tenure 1-2 years, no one stays long-term in Campbell branch, focus on 11 or more contacts-per-day (1:10 min calls or more) and how many clients you can hook into a managed product, rinse and repeat every week. 401K benefits.

4. "Prototyper"

Former Employee - Prototyper in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Prototyper in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at TD Ameritrade (Less than a year)

Pros

Take care of employees. Provide education

Cons

I prefer Manhattan to the Jersey City commute

TD Ameritrade Response

Nov 28, 2016 – Representative,TAS

We strive to make sure our associates are well taken care of thru various offerings and various methods to grow within the firm. We take education seriously and provide online training courses as ... More

5. "Excellent Company"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing in Draper, UT

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had the most amazing training program, that I have ever had to pleasure of attending. I was very grateful for the knowledge, that I was able to attend. I learned so much more, that when I left, I became the "Top Producer" of sales, at OpenEdge.
    I also loved that you had to go through a timed test to even get an interview. That I think every company should do, it is an easy way to get the best of the best.

Cons

My reason for leaving, unfortunately, was that I have to believe in what I am selling to a potential customer. I have had many years, in the mortgage business, which I loved dearly, till it changed. I was also top producer, in the mortgage business, as well. I also did fix and flip homes. So going from, believing that a middle class man, can make multi six figures in real estate, with out any money to start making money, to selling stock education for $20,000.00. It always bothered me, that the pressure of selling packages of this amount, to someone with less than $100,000.00, to learn the market. Because you can't make multi six figures, with a little amount to invest, unless you use real estate.

Advice to Management

Dear Management- I love the way you hire great sales people. Keep doing what you are doing. You have an amazing team. I would add however, that in the interview process, ask if the person you are hiring believes you can make money in the stock market. Have they made money in the stock market and do they plan on using the education themselves to make money in the market.
    These are all very great questions, to ask. This can also help you with potential hires, who may not be successful, at the sale of your education. Your turn over would be less, your training costs would be less. Since you pay $25,00.00 per hire, this could be a great way to cut some unnecessary costs and add to your bottom line.

"Former Investment Consultant"

Former Employee - Investment Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Investment Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a very good company with tremendous potential. Great place to learn the investment business. The culture is fast paced and always changing. Must be willing to adapt very quickly.

Cons

The primary focus is sales and numbers. That culture creates very high turnover in the Investment Consultant role. Thus the client experience can be poor since there is little consistency in the ranks.

Advice to Management

Create greater consistency in the rank and file members. Focus on growth and more importantly retention of both clients and employees.

7. "Isntructor Coach"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice work place. Good benefits. Overall good company outlook . Great people.

Cons

No jobs upside in Utah for TDA.

Advice to Management

Floundering with direction for Utah division. Pick a direction, any direction rather than running in circles.

8. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Government Reporting Analyst in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - Government Reporting Analyst in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at TD Ameritrade (Less than a year)

Pros

You can learn a lot about the financial sector and engage with experts in the industry. Really great people to work with, great bosses and fun in the workplace.

Cons

Sitting in an office all day can be bad on you're health.

Advice to Management

Keep being cool

"5 years wasted so far."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is slightly higher than average. But the bonuses are about 30% out of your control. The building is neat.

Cons

If you are on the business side, you probably love it. If you are in IT, you are worked incredibly hard. TDA is a "performance driven" organization, meaning you are strictly held accountable and if you don't meet expectations you are punished. This is by far the most punitive company I have ever worked for. Also, teams are run with very few people; many one person teams.

Advice to Management

Treat IT like the business. Stop hiring the loudest and most obnoxious managers. Find managers that actual enjoy people and are personable.

"Communications manager"

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at TD Ameritrade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is what keeps associated at the firm. Teamwork and collaboration are encouraged and fostered. It feels like a family.

Cons

The opportunity for professional development and career growth is almost nonexistent. Many of the roles have no career path, therefore associates feel stagnant.

Advice to Management

More professional development