KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

TD Ameritrade

Engaged Employer

TD Ameritrade

Add a Review

TD Ameritrade Employee Reviews about "management"

Updated Jul 6, 2022

What people are saying about TD Ameritrade

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "pretty easy and good benefits(in 224 reviews)
  • "Great Culture and a terrific value to customers(in 181 reviews)
  • "Fun company a lot of outings and meet great people(in 160 reviews)
  • "well pay and good conditions(in 119 reviews)
  • "Great work life balance and loss stress(in 94 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of TD Ameritrade and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

HR policies ruin this place

Mar 3, 2017 - Team Manager in Omaha, NE
    Business Outlook

Pros

Engaging varied work, small company enough to make positive change if you want

Cons

HR pay policies are garbage. Raises for lateral moves and even promotions are a joke. They'd rather pay an external hire considerably more and onboard them than compensate their current employees fairly. They'll feed you the line that it's a great opportunity for experience. I don't work for experience, I work to get paid. Thanks for padding my resume with 'experience' it helped me land a good job elsewhere where I am compensated fairly. Sr management is so transparent in their attempts to get their minion team managers to drink the kool-aide. It's a joke and borderline manipulative. I've never worked at another company that fosters resentment between different sites (Omaha, FTW, Chicago) the way they do at tda.

12 people found this review helpful

TD Ameritrade Response

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I can provide a little insight into our compensation practices. We consider an applicant’s and employee’s skills, knowledge and experience as well as the going market rate for talent, and adjust for specific regions to ensure we’re paying competitively. We also have a total rewards philosophy, viewing compensation as one component while also considering internal and external development opportunities, paid benefits, tuition reimbursement and paid leave as pieces of our overall total rewards package. Development and experience isn’t intended to be a replacement for compensation, but it does afford our Associates opportunities for advancement with longer term benefits.

2. 3.0
    Current Employee

Double Edge

Jul 12, 2009 - Broker in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits and time off. No cold calling, business is there you just have to call and ask for it, but do expect to work for your compensation. The environment with your co-workers is very amicable and you are given ample resources given you have time to read it all.

Cons

Very few managers at branches have a good sense of the entire picture. They are not very interested in putting too much time in you (as an investment) for success. Be prepared to be self taught or quick learner or to have hour long meetings about poor performance or 'D' all of the above. Senior management is excellent and are there for you but not all lower management is as equipped.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee

If you have other offers, avoid.

Nov 16, 2009 - Broker
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits through the company are great. The company is pretty flexible when it comes to home/work life and allow you plenty of time when you need to take it for personal reasons.

Cons

This is not a place for a career, it is somewhere you go to make some money when you don't have any other offers. The managers don't like it for their employees to be smarter or better that them. The company is bloated at the middle management level and the company would be better off without them. Communication is very poor, you'll find out weeks after the company announces some new program to the customers.

3 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0

Great Company

Aug 2, 2010 - Invester Relations Intern in Fort Worth, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Pay for Interns, Gets you exposed to several areas of the Industry, Friendly People who are great to work with

Cons

Not open to changes that need to be made within the company. Several aspects of the company are done wrong and management is afraid of 'changing the way they do things'

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Relationship Manager

Jun 20, 2016 - Senior Relationship Manager in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong company, continuously growing. Job security is very strong, a lot of people have stayed here for several years.

Cons

Pay isn't that great compared to competitors. Seems easy to reach top of job role and then plateau. Not much opportunity to get into management so a lot of lateral job movement is done instead. Some managers are better than others. Like many companies, it's politics.

1 person found this review helpful

TD Ameritrade Response

Specialist, Social Business

Thank you for your review. We value your input and consider compensation an important variable in order to retain top talent, which is why we review our compensation annually, across the company for all positions. We also provide internal job fairs, links for mentors, networking events, manager training, and so much more to help our associates grow. I would encourage you to check our the HR Center on our Exchange Page for more information to get connected.

6. 2.0

Pockets of Incompetence

Jul 30, 2010 -  in Fort Worth, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

TDA has the best approach for the common investor in the U.S. Our tools and services helps clients be successful. With client education becoming the next step in our progression with investools for our clients, we are the best firm for a client to chose.

Cons

The merger of Ameritrade and TD Waterhouse brought two very different cultures. Combining the two groups of leaders has caused many problems. Incompetence with prideful and territorial thinking has been and continues to be the result. Upper management has a significant problem with the abilities of middle management and appears not to know it. Good people are suffering from unrealistic expectations and unethical guidance. Employees looking for integrity, humility, and true leadership may be disappointed.

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place to work, love the client support

Jan 19, 2021 - Branch Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leading technology for consultants and clients. Local branch network shows commitment to client base across the nation. Robust support from management and subject matter experts to help develop top talent within the Financial Services industry.

Cons

Pay could be more competitive. Slow to pivot to market changes. Too much "busy work" for consultant/advisors. Didn't treat every branch the same - some had more resources or access to them versus others.

8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Pay Your Rent

Feb 26, 2019 - Senior Financial Consultant in Fort Worth, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Profit sharing, stock performance bonus, decent benefits package. Lots of free lunch, after work events, club trips and training provided by the company as well. If you have the right branch, then you can make some great friends. Company card, liberal vacation policy and for the most part you can leave the office as need be. The job is easy, make dials and close business. It's that simple. You will make $150k after year two if you work in a tier one branch.

Cons

I saw so many changes to the IC/SFC payout it was almost mind-numbing. No matter if you are ranked first in the company or dead last, there is only one thing that matters. That's contacts and dials. At least in the central division that is the case. Get on managements good side and you will be rewarded with the best BLR's and clients. In my branch, I saw less talented people excel as they were given everything. Do not kid yourself, you are the equivalent of a used car salesman in financial sales. It's a widget game and you are selling to anyone that is coming in if you want to get paid. In 2010 this job was special. We got paid like we mattered. Truly life changing money. Now things are different. Payouts are lower and targets continue to climb. The culture has shifted from ' a place that cares about you' to ' it's all about the shareholders.' I remember in 2010 we were stealing Fidelity employees left and right. All of them said ' it's like working at Fidelity 10 years ago, there is so much opportunity here.' TD hasn't caught up to its much bigger brother but it has certainly lost its appeal. Management will turn on you and suddenly you go from being an all-star to the bench. Nepotism runs wild and if you work in Texas you better be a MMA fan or you will not fit in with management. Old employees who literally gave away hundreds of thousands of dollars in fees are hired back after being asked to resign. True Story. Senior leadership will remind you that people are fighting for your chair. The IC/SFC position was special and now it's the equivalent of being a personal banker. No respect and declining payouts. If you want to succeed. First, act like a bro. Second, make your contacts and dials. Third, keep your head down and close business. Fourth, love you some MMA. You do these four things and you are on your way to succeeding at TD.

25 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good Company

Apr 17, 2019 - Financial Services Representative in Southlake, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and the mentorship is very supportive

Cons

During training i felt management was kinda distant but other than that it was a great company.