TD Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
TD President & CEO Bharat Masrani
Bharat Masrani

Pros
Cons
  • Hard to maintain effective work/life balance (in 188 reviews)

• Long hours although short compared to other investment banks on the street (in 170 reviews)

1. "What a joke"

Former Employee - Banking Specialist in Auburn, ME
    Former Employee - Banking Specialist in Auburn, ME

I worked at TD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation time. Health and Welfare benefits. The end.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations regarding, call times, time off the phone, sales goals. This company allows their customers to berate and abuse their employees. The pay isn't particularly good. After working there for a year and getting a .25 raise, the company increased their starting pay, however, long time employees received no increase. I was encouraged to open second, third, fourth checking accounts as a way to stop overdrafts, I was encouraged to get the customer to have an additional card for that account and was supposed to get the customer to agree to turn off the the system that prevented them from overdrafting their accounts with their debit card, for "emergencies ". I was written up three times in six months for my lack of "sales" due to my unwillingness to bamboozle customers. If you have no problem selling your soul, this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

Look out for your customers and employees. The reasonthat RD is constantly hiring is because the company takes worthwhile employees, demands their pound of flesh and spits them out.

2. "My Worst Experiance"

Former Employee - Collections Manager in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Collections Manager in Greenville, SC

I worked at TD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company with real bad leadership

Cons

This company’s leadership has dual standard and full of hypocrisy. My advice to all current employees that keep track of all communication with your leadership. Chances are you will be left alone and your leadership will not keep their words and you will not be supported you when time comes. I'll be happy to provide addition details if needed (917) 687-9980

Advice to Management

Be a leader and learn to trust your employees. Managers should not frame their employees. There is something called coaching and it should be used.

3. "Solid base with minimal room for growth"

Current Employee - Store Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Store Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at TD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Insurance selection. Company culture.

Cons

Vacation time is limited depending on employee status (full time/part time) due to method used in calculating paid time off accrual rate. You will be forced into using vacation time for any national holiday the bank is closed for in order to meet weekly hours, unless you work extra days. Vertical movement in the company cuts off on a retail branch level once you hit Assistant Store Manager as upper management frowns upon promoting internally to Store Manager. Externals for higher positions are seen as the optimal choice due to lower introductory pay and ability to mold into corporate culture with minimal investment needed.

Advice to Management

Promote from within or add incentives to rise through the company. Currently Assistant Store Managers are locked into their roles and have little to no chance of promotion to Store Manager or above. This becomes a glass ceiling to which you force talent into other financial companies. Also your loan processing team is terrible on several different levels.

"Weird company and awful management"

Former Employee - Senior Business Management Analyst in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Business Management Analyst in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at TD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For me the pro was that they have many offices any opportunities close to home, BUT...

Cons

The company culture is like a cult. It's very weird and management is awful

Advice to Management

Resign

6. "Never Again"

Former Contractor - Administrative in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Contractor - Administrative in Mount Laurel, NJ

I worked at TD as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They do have a lot of ways to reward the employees with FOOD!

Cons

Worked 2 years at TD. The more you know the more they want. The rate of pay is terrible. I was told my last work day was the end of the month and happened earlier and basically walked me out like I was fired for all the work and effort I put in. Very cold...

Advice to Management

Expecting to much for such little pay.

7. "Don't be a Supervisor in Astoria, NY!"

Current Employee - Store Supervisor in Astoria, NY
    Current Employee - Store Supervisor in Astoria, NY

I have been working at TD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rather easy work regarding processes. Just follow exactly and you shouldn't make mistakes unless you are understaffed and distracted with demanding customers that have been taught its ok to fight with you which is common in Astoria-Ditmars.

Cons

High turn over due to management's abusive behaviors and practices | Management often interferes with your promotion or transfer request because it makes her look bad | Management has NEVER set proper president and expectations with customers so they bombard tellers and CSRs with complaints, conflicts and other threats like lawsuits. | Some customers often get physically threatening by yelling in your face. | Way to busy of a location to offer a coin arcade which commercial businesses use and abuse instead of regular customers with extra change like it was intended for. The machine malfunctions often during use as a result requiring a staff member to be pulled from their current customers in line to fix it creating a bottle neck of impatient angry customers. | The goal plan is unattainable at such a location therefore you will probably not be promoted as a result. Your only option is to leave before mistakes pile up on your record making you eligible for termination and affecting your career. NO EXAGGERATION here at all. There is MUCH more but this is enough to give you an idea.

Advice to Management

Never settle for horrible managers and listen when you have multiple honest hard working employees and examples bring this to your attention. Also heed obvious warning signs like missing money and HR complaints and suits that have resulted from the few items mentioned here. No amount of sales justifies this level of abusive and negligence. Other branches succeed without these problems.

8. "IT QA is the worst place to be"

Pros

Nothing at all, run for the door

Cons

Too much politics in this place, contractors are treated very badly. Supported by large vendors that value $ more than anything. People are hired and given a position because they are related to someone in management. There is no room to breathe here at all.

Advice to Management

Clean house, care about how management berates the contractor before you get sued for harrasment and abuse

9. "Run far way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

Pros

really good benefits, tuition assistant, onsite gym, and really nice campus of course you will never get to enjoy it, they are very very strict with breaks and lunches

Cons

30 minutes lunch and very low pay and manager talks down to you and treat you like children

Advice to Management

Get on the same page

10. "Not Great"

Former Employee - Head Teller
    Former Employee - Head Teller

I worked at TD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, nice time off package but could be better...

Cons

Hours are longer than most banks, sales are rough considering the amount of foot traffic, no communication between management and employees, expectations are too high to be considered fair

Advice to Management

take some time to think about the employees, instead of doing "employee appreciation week," appreciate employees by helping them with sales and changing the sales revenue process, show that you care about your customers.... and communicate

11. "The Place Where Dreams Go to Die"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fair Haven, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fair Haven, NJ

I worked at TD (More than 3 years)

Pros

The schedule wasn't bad, and the benefits ( health, dental and vision) we're good.

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE.

Sales drove everything. Manager's asked you to break rules and violate ethics to reach sales goals. People we're promoted from jobs they couldn't do to new jobs they couldn't do simply based on sales. Upper management is terrible. Branch management will through you under a bus and keep their head in the sand when it comes to issues in the branch that need resolving. I would avoid TD like the plague.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Stop asking them for unethical actions.

Showing 433 of 4,821 reviews