TDS Telecommunications Reviews in Madison, WI | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TDS Telecommunications President & CEO Dave Wittwer
Dave Wittwer

Pros
  • Work Life Balance, competitive pay (in 9 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits, reasonable advancement (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the upper management is too old school; they need to learn current management techniques to attract and keep good employees (in 5 reviews)

• Same call center BS you find everywhere else (in 4 reviews)

1. "I love working at TDS!"

Current Employee - Consumer Sales Representative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Consumer Sales Representative in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is my first call center and with my supervisor and sales coach's helping me to improve I've been successful as a rep and gotten a lot of opportunities to grow and expand my possibilities in the company.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any. Everything here is merit based, so if you show up with a willingness to work you will have plenty of opportunities.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your employees and helping them to grow when they show a desire to.

2. "Staffing Game"

Former Contractor - Helpdesk in Madison, WI
    Former Contractor - Helpdesk in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The environment was nice and clean, the cubicles were space at a nice distance If your a self motivated person and understand your position requirements you should enjoy this place.

Cons

The metrics and standards set for performance goals are often out of the norm. If your not up to some standard set up by some Algorithm, then i suggest choosing the department wisely.

Advice to Management

None

3. "Truly the Best"

Current Employee - Administrative in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Administrative in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Before I accepted my current position with TDS, I had worked for small companies my whole life and I was a bit intimidated by the thought of working for a Fortune 500 company. After my first couple days, I realized that coming to work here was the best work decision I've ever made. It may be an incredibly large company, but it feels like a close family organization where everyone is here to support and encourage you. You are never stuck in your position if you want to move up as one of the founding principles of TDS is to grow and learn. Everyone is treated with the greatest amount of respect and others are always just an IM, e-mail, phone call, or short walk away if you need any questions answered. TDS is NOT your typical stuffy corporation where you are chained to your desk and have co-workers who put you down for their own gain. TDS supports their employees and wants to do their absolute best by their customers. If a fellow employee is having a rough time due to illness or accident, TDS will start a donation for that employee. If you want to volunteer for a cause, TDS will pay you to go volunteer (up to a certain amount of hours of course). I can't say enough wonderful things about this company and all of the great things that it has done for me in my career and personal development.

Cons

There really isn't much down side here. If you have a difficult time working in cubes, this might be the biggest 'con'. However, we are surrounded by windows and in 90% of the building you will be near natural light. Personal opinion, all of the other pros outweigh this fact.

Advice to Management

Keep up the personal connections with each employee, the awesome community outreach, and the comfortable work style. These are all great motivations to make me want to work harder and do even better.

5. "OK company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits and starting pay are good.
    The people you work with are very helpful in finding the infromation you need to do your job.

Cons

Can get shut out of decision making process quickly.
    Politics overshadow everything here, though that's most likely true of any large company.

Advice to Management

Upper management is constantly plagued by analysis paralysis. This usually means loads of busywork for everyone else until they're forced to make a decision.

"Great place to work and I can definitely see myself working here for years to come."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of advancement within my field, coworkers have great personality and are good at their job, great managers to keep you motivated, and the company actually cares about its employees. I really love how the company feels small even though you work with so many people and there are many more across the country - and the surprise appreciation moments are awesome!

Cons

Long employee tenure (I heard the average is 12 years) can be a bit overwhelming for newcomers - but there is a good mix between experienced employees and newbies coming together.

Advice to Management

Keep up the appreciation and connection with employees lower on the scale - it makes us feel included and motivated. And any chance you get to just visit with employees on a human level makes me feel like anything is possible in the company and that I could be a leader some day.

TDS Telecommunications Response

Feb 13, 2017 – Manager - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the positive feedback!

7. "Review"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Madison, WI
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at TDS was very helpful in getting me exposure to many different skills, including Excel and Microsoft Access. They were more than flexible with my schedule, which was a plus working multiple jobs.

Cons

The team I was on was understaffed which meant sometimes I felt like there was an excess amount of work being thrown around the team.

Advice to Management

Put more of an effort into hiring staff when needed.

"Finance Professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is generally a good company to work for. Interesting work and you will gain valuable experience. Many decent, hard-working people. The company is closely held and this adds security against take-overs. The high level business strategy is crisp in a tough environment where the cable competitor is able to deliver higher broadband speeds at lower cost.

Cons

The Finance Business Analysis team was viewed by many as having a poorly managed, toxic environment beginning in 2013 - the team experienced an exodus of well over half of its experienced and respected staff over 2 years.

In addition, there is a fair amount of in-fighting between business unit leaders. This may be impacted by competition for precious resources where budgets are extremely tight and scrutinized due to flat revenue growth.

Advice to Management

Reel-in the occasional mismanaged areas within the company.

9. "Great place to work!"

Current Intern - IT Architecture in Madison, WI
    Current Intern - IT Architecture in Madison, WI

I have been working at TDS Telecommunications as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive wages, great work environment, very friendly work culture

Cons

Long commute from downtown by bus (40-50 minutes)

10. "Room to advance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Pros

Lots of room for advancement whether you are administrative or technical. Great training and continuing education. Very competitive benefits including health, retirement, life insurance, even car insurance discounts. Fun and friendly business casual environment.

Cons

When I started with TDS we had many local offices across the country, and I was proud of how engaged we were in our communities. When I left, many of those offices had closed, and they had even started to outsource technical support.

Advice to Management

TDS customers appreciate that TDS is American company and that when they call they get an American call center -- keep it that way.

TDS Telecommunications Response

Aug 26, 2016 – Manager - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the positive review. Employee education, growth and development is an important part of our culture.

11. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at TDS Telecommunications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well meaning teammates, good health benefits and decent amount of time off.

Cons

Not the best paying organization, management was too focused on cuts which were implemented poorly and hurt the organization far more than they helped.

Advice to Management

Grow the business organically by focusing on products and geographical expansion, ignore the consultants for awhile.