TEFL Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ti Ron Gibbs

1. "Back to Michigan! Bye TEFL Institute!"

Former Employee - TEFL Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - TEFL Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, decent office culture, true catering to other staff by the CEO and sales manager. Being able to make use of individual skill-sets and have flexibility in how to achieve each sale is always fun too. The CEO is accessible and personable, and, while some persons writing here before me clearly disagree, is committed to building and maintaining a good staff. The product I liked and took the online course myself, and the student services department is again full of very helpful ladies. The company is back up on it's feet.

PROs: Office culture/FOOD! interesting product, fun people, room to advance, and a high commission rate.

Cons

Runs like a start-up: not always a bad thing, as I prefer it to a strict set of practices, but disorganized model. Specifically the training or introductory period needs formalizing, as during this period advisors may not make any sales (they're still learnin'!) and it causes a high-turnover. It's pretty Darwinian but doesn't need to be.

Commission: Never tried it before, worked for me, but for people who want to get paid for their time and not for what they're producing, this is not the place for you. Commission wages, in Illinois, can be distributed monthly, so if you're someone who needs hourly-wage, 2-week paychecks you will not be a good fit.
    Commission isn't for everyone and it can be devastating to expect success and not find it, as some of the reviews below me make clear, and you could end up working a whole week for nothing in return. That's your "right to work," and is a choice, and should not compel you to vent your incompetence against on review forums.

I have had a paycheck be given to me a few days late, however it came late with a full explanation, verbal apology, and notice of when I would receive it from the CEO. I have never had a check bounce. Ti Ron Gibbs, the CEO, does take great pains to make sure the staff is paid and communicates well as long as you're willing to. I'm reading reviews below and am finding they rarely parallel with any experience I've had, but things could be different now.

Advice to Management

The product is fabulous, your employees should be too! I would suggest the advisor position be explained/listed as more of a marketing-type opportunity + the customer service, advising, and advertising responsibilities. Alternatively, making someone or a few folks responsible for producing leads as an advertisement/marketing department might be more beneficial and organized while allowing the advisors to focus exclusively on your actual customer.

2. "Yep, another unsatisfied employee"

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The workplace was funny. Very loose, and the staff was great. I was also great to talk to people about there dreams.

Cons

The workplace was funny, which was the CEO plan to distract us from how poorly the company is run. Oh, and the paycheck thing like everyone else. I think that my first paycheck was late, and my last one bounced. Tiron Gibbs insisted that this had never happened before. Hard to believe after seeing the other posts here.

Advice to Management

The CEO is in the business to make money, and not education. This should not be a for huge profit industry. More transparency, and increased knowledge of marketing and ethics would go a long way.

3. "The reviews are accurate. Please do not work here!"

Former Employee - Student Services in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Student Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission. Fun to talk about teaching abroad.

Cons

The CEO is terrible. Paychecks do bounce, and there are unpaid workers. Please check the rebuttal FB group create by Ti Ron Gibbs in order to see a list of unpaid instructors along with a lot of excuses that try to explain all the bad reviews. Please read all of the reviews, including those that are filtered, on multiple sites both about the quality of the products as well as working there before you seriously consider working here.

Advice to Management

Please hire someone who can run the company.

"Volunteer here if you don't want to get paid!"

Former Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Instructor in Chicago, IL

I worked at TEFL Institute part-time

Pros

You don't have a boss nagging you because they don't communicate. The students are great, though they always become frustrated with the poor management and lack of communication.

Cons

Let's see... never received a paycheck, horrible communication, terribly managed, had to try to cover for the company to the students, had students complaining because of the bad organization.

Advice to Management

Give up.

"Fun at first, but you'll slowly become more and more dissapointed"

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Fun to talk about your teach abroad experiences (if any) on the phone. The students really do appreciate it and it is of use to them
    -Almost all of my co-workers were friendly people with similar experiences to me. Nice multi-cultural environment
    The neighborhood is pretty nice. Lots of great lunch spots within walking distance

Cons

-Lack of leads. If you're working an all commission sales job with 1 to 2 leads a day, it can really be disheartening
    -Constantly having to speak to dissapointed people. After the Student Services of the company collapsed, it left hundreds of people without pay, refunds, certificates, you name it. It really sucks because you won't be able to do anything for them other than send them to a voicemail that won't be returned
    -It's just really difficult to make money, especially at first. Word has gotten out about how poor the company's support is to enrolled students, leading to a lack of leads. You can do well, but it will likely take several months until you are making money. Do not take this job if you don't have some savings.
    -Bounced and late paychecks are now quite common. Instructors have not been paid for work done over a year ago. You hope and pray your check clears or you receive it on time.
    -Turnover is incredibly high. Most don't make it to 6 months

Advice to Management

Fix the student services department. Enough with the part-time workers. It completely ruined the company. PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES. This place can be successful since there is such a demand for TEFL, but only if administrative support for employees and customers is dramatically improved.

6. "Dishonest CEO, misleading product"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent and the job was fun! I would do this job again in a heartbeat, for a different employer. I enjoyed working in a multi-cultural environment.

Cons

Unfortunately, checks bounce frequently, there was significant verbal abuse, the product lacks quality due to the high rate of turnover, and there is a lack of integrity by senior management. Employees aren't being paid on time, if they are being paid at all.

Advice to Management

It's important to follow through on your word, to employees and clients.

"Stay away! Bounced paychecks! Company is in financial breakdown!"

Former Employee - Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at TEFL Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of downtime because you will not have any leads. Leads are distributed by preference of management. So, "brown nose" if you can. Employees have some travel experience. The employees are usually the nerds in school that never had any friends.

Cons

Management will have meetings on a daily basis to discuss their boring lives and nothing work related. Bounced paychecks! Instructors threaten to sue because they aren't being paid because the CEO doesn't have the money! Compared to other companies they charge a lot more for their certification.

Advice to Management

Spend more time focusing on the job instead of talking about how boring your life is all day.

"Run Away"

Former Employee - Advisor in Chicago, IL

Pros

I've traveled abroad a lot so i liked doing the work sometimes, although it's on the phone constantly. People there were cool because we all taught overseas at some point. My main "pro" here is being able to communicate my experiences to people who don't have the knowledge.

Cons

You are stuck with speaking with non- decision-makers and convincing kids to spend their credit card money. The owner is a horrible decision maker and its only about $, not about employee salary or experience or livelihood. It's all commission. The turnover is extremely high. I'm sure only 30 of people whom I worked with are still there.

Advice to Management

Offer a draw on commission. set up organization for long term growth of people. care as much about advisors than your BMW.

9. "Fine Job for Entry level Teachers"

I worked at TEFL Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had very nice colleagues and ccessible supervisors

Cons

Not great pay for demanding work.

10. "Company closed after robbing teachers; CEO is MIA"

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

Pros

The only good thing was meeting interesting people. Some of the people who worked at the company seemed genuinely interested in their work.

Cons

The CEO Tiron Gibbs robbed his employees. He started by paying staff late, and that evolved into not paying us at all. He also sold classes to clients that didn't exist, and encouraged staff to not give refunds.

Advice to Management

Be honest. Pay your employees. Don't offer classes that don't exist. Don't hide under a new name or new CEO. Fulfill your responsibilities.