TEGNA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
TEGNA President and Chief Executive Officer Dave Lougee
Dave Lougee

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Forward thinking company leading the way in digital journalism" (in 12 reviews)

• "The overall work environment was not too stressful" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pretty low pay with little options for growth" (in 11 reviews)

• "Compensation was low for employees who work incredibly hard and very long hours" (in 7 reviews)

"Good place to develop"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Tysons, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Tysons, VA

I worked at TEGNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot at TEGNA, and was surrounded by very smart and caring people. The company has strong beliefs in a world of "fake news" and I was proud to work there. A strong focus on innovation gives me hope for the company's future in a mature industry.

Cons

Financial reporting sometimes requires long hours and tight deadlines (which got better over the 4 years I had been there). On my team there wasn't much room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Constant, measurable feedback is important. Try to inspire your coworkers to perform better by making them feel like their contribution matters.

2. "Fun Place to Work"

I have been working at TEGNA full-time

Pros

Free snacks! Flexible WFH options. Do good in the communities you serve

Cons

Lots of lay offs lately.

Advice to Management

Communicate the future vision of the company

3. "Great Atmosphere, Grim Reality"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at TEGNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone was there to work hard and treat one another as friends and colleagues. People ultimately loved the line of work they were doing and shared the common love of the city they lived in. Some of the realest and funnest people I've met.

Cons

As you can guess, compensation. The ONLY way to earn what you're worth in that particular market within TEGNA is to put in years of work with bare minimum time off and micromanaging schedules not accommodating to work-life (personal appointments, work from home, basic trust). It's a great place to put in some time and get experience while making awesome friends, but only smart long-term if you plan on staying for 20 years. Times are changing and young, knowledgable talent will find much better companies to work for; that's just the reality. All the money is handled very tightly. Things also move slowly in terms of idea creation; the biggest (not best) ideas come directly from department heads, most over 45 years of age.

4. "Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at TEGNA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is forward-thinking and wants to remain relevant and take risks.

Cons

Many essential employees are very underpaid for the work that they do. Management is very guilty of favoritism, so don’t expect to be promoted or receive added bonuses by proving your worth through your quality of work. HR is a disaster and cannot be trusted to do the right thing (i.e. investigate sexual harassment allegations). Employees are expected to put up and shut up and fully and blindly trust sales leaders.

Advice to Management

Listen to your low-level employees who are “boots on the ground,” and experience the day-to-day operations of the company. Sometimes your most effective employees are the ones who don’t cause drama or attract attention—value these silent, necessary employees. Train mid-level managers and HR on how to properly handle sexual harassment allegations. If mid-level managers are not acting appropriately, don’t expect your staffs to follow suit. Inspire and promote creativity among all members of the staff, and reward good behavior and strong work ethic.

5. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX

I worked at TEGNA full-time

Pros

Good coworkers to work with. Good location.

Cons

Poor management, allowing a husband and wife to manage a station as GM and Cheif Engineer. Turn around has gone up 75% or more and nothing has been done. They higher new engineers with hardly any experience and treat them better than the ones they already have.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and stop acting as if you know everything. Obviously you do not, you all are driving he station into the ground and losing great talent along the way. Anything below a 2.9% raise should be considered an insult. Hire a maintenance person, that is not what an Engineer is for.

"Rearranging the Deck Furniture on the Titanic"

I worked at TEGNA full-time

Pros

Always looking to reinvent or copy new trends to find an audience and make money despite failing almost every time.

Cons

If you like high pressure and empty promises in an ever declining local TV business then this is the place for you. Tegna's reputation for squeezing employee wages year after year has resulted in distrust with management, high turnover and low employee morale. There's very little advancement from within the departments. In my years there I saw only 1 promotion, about 6 demotions and countless firings. (Note: this company loves to fire people). They just had mass layoffs with their digital services division. One of the only companies I know to have layoffs in the strongest economy in years. Most of the people still there are because they can't find anything better.

Advice to Management

Good Luck

"Don't even consider it if you are a professional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at TEGNA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were some fantastic hires

Cons

Inattentive Management
    Treats non-executive employees like cattle
    Work environment is disruptive and counter productive
    Frequent lay offs

Advice to Management

Pay attention. I worked in one of the highly paid professional groups for only 8 months. My direct manager ran off 80% of his staff during that time ( not one single person was fired, underpaid, laid off, etc.) and neither upper management or HR took any notice whatsoever. Some of those employees were absolutely amazingly smart and productive employees.

What is the vision for the digital marketing division? There is an appalling lack o f identity.
    Whether you like it or not - your poor decisions and inability to actively manage this division of Tegna affects peoples lives. I am lucky in that I am a professional and easily employed -but not all of the people you randomly laid off or ran off can say the same. But as long as you keep getting your checks, you don't seem to care. Shame on you management.

"Digital Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - Digital Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Digital Sales Specialist

I worked at TEGNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management was nice most days. Sometimes they’ll let you leave early or come in late for appointments. All of my sales support coworkers were amazing people. Uhhhh, yeah that’s it!

Cons

EXTREMELY underpaid for the work you’re doing. Expected to do things last minute for last minute sales executives - it’s always “ASAP”. Expected to know everything at all times when not even given proper training. Work is extensive and a lot goes behind making a proposal, entering orders, putting in audits, running reports. You’re essentially doing all of the work and get nothing for it while the reps are making thousands of dollars just to say what’s on the presentation word for word. You’ll get talked down to every day and consistently feel stupid. High pressure job getting paid less than a fast food employee. Benefits are subpar. They’ll make you feel like you should be greatful to work there because it’s a news station but it just keeps getting worse and worse.

Advice to Management

Compensate your employees what they deserve. Give them commission. Stop with the “TIME SENSITIVE” work load when we already have a lot to do.

"Standard media company"

Current Employee - Production Assistant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in Denver, CO

I have been working at TEGNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dental, eye, and general health benefits are a pretty standard package.
    Stations across the country so possibility for transfer is easier than most.

Cons

Non-competitive pay compared to other media companies.
    VERY heavy overturn with employees. Constantly seeking new hires.
    Limited upward mobility or need to spend many years in the company for consideration.
    Executives at TEGNA claim to be revolutionary, but are very hesitant for change or new initiatives.

Advice to Management

Be more open to the changing ways of technology and ensure that good employee and valued and promoted within a reasonable amount of time.

"A Good Experience Overall"

Current Employee - Product Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at TEGNA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The corporate offices in McLean, VA was a pretty good environment when I was there. It is more corporate and meeting heavy than other places I've been but everyone was nice and easy to work with.

My manager was supportive. The offices are nice with some good perks - free snacks/coffee, free gym, modern office, good equipment. The overall work environment was not too stressful. Most people got in around 9am and are gone by 5pm. Others stayed around until 5:30pm or so but I didn't feel pressure to work later than 5pm.

Cons

Pay isn't great and no bonuses for most employees.

Vacation isn't great. Eight holidays plus two personal days. Two weeks vacation to start.

401k is 4% match and it is matched in company stock. But it is through Vanguard and the stock can be exchanged right away without any fees.

Health benefits cost about double what I was paying at other places and had higher deductables. My doctor was in the network though (BlueCross BlueShield of Texas). They had an HSA which has some very nice tax benefits. And TEGNA deposits $500 at the beginning of the year into that.

They do have some other benefits like tuition assistance (capped at $1500 per year) and a very generous charity donation matching (up to $10,000 per year) but overall benefits are not as competitive as at other companies of similar size.