TEKsystems Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

3.1
TEKsystems President Jay Alvather
Jay Alvather

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The position does allow for a great work life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Great people in a fun environment (in 89 reviews)

1. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you want a place for professional and personal growth - look no further. You are in charge of your own success and where you want to go within this global company. You tell the company where you want to go and they'll tell you what it takes to get there.

Cons

This company embraces open communication, and to a level you will not see elsewhere. Asking for help does not hinder you at all. I see many come to the company and struggle because they are afraid to ask for help.

"Account Manager/Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give the best training in the industry and the culture is great. The people make up for the low pay and long hours and will be what keeps you there. They also pay for most of your meals, as they are expensed (these will either be client breakfasts/lunches/dinners, happy hours, internal meals for team bonding, etc) and they do a lot of team building events. If you can figure out how to navigate the political waters well, you will do just fine. So - kiss up to the "leaders" that can influence decisions (aka promotions) and you can make a lot of money. Once you are in, you are set. Oh, and if you are a white male - you will also do just fine.

Cons

The pay is lower than industry standard. Leadership likes to state that they raised the salary to 50K to "invest" in the people, but don't be fooled. It's called a Labor Law that every company has to abide by, if you are a salaried employee making less than 41K, then they are required to pay you OT. Due to the long hours that this job requires, it was cheaper for them to just raise the salary. Recruiters that first join will still be paid at 30K, until they hit two non-consecutive weeks with their spread hitting at least 3K. Until then, ramen is your best friend...and your only friend, since you won't be able to afford to go out or do anything on that measly salary in Atlanta. 50K isn't that bad, you say? It's not, but you wear MULTIPLE hats here. The recruiter chair is also the sourcer, the recruiter (meaning you also negotiate rates and feedback, interviews, etc), the admin for onboarding, and continuing maintenance of your contractor. If you go into an interview, they will say that you have an opportunity to make 100K, 200K, even 300K. Whoah, sounds awesome! Well, take a good look at the board and see how many people are actually making that kind of money. Maybe 3 out of 10. It is possible, but you have to kiss the right behind, get lucky and be handed gravy accounts, or someone really helps you along the way. Now, there are those that can do it on their own, but that may take you a lot of blood, sweat and tears over many, many moons. Not that I am opposed to hard work, but why is that not distributed evenly and fairly? Again, highly political environment. It is also VERY process heavy - which means you cannot pivot as easily to your customers' needs. Process meaning - meet the candidate, do two references, and create a "sell package" (which will just be emailed over - AKA you are doing the sales person's job) in order to even submit your candidate. The reason behind this is they are selling "quality". My assumption is, they realize how much market share they were losing and thought "quality" was the answer, but many managers care more about speed to market. Truth of the matter is, all of the staffing agencies are pulling from the same pool of talent. By the time you get your candidate over, the job has already been filled or your candidate has already gotten three offers. However, in some cases this process works really well for the managers. Makes sense to do all of that for highly technical roles that recruiters may not be able to screen as effectively. The problem is, everyone must follow the same process for every client. I mentioned the culture was great there, which it is, but can be very cult-like at times. A lot of kumbayah, sit around the fire, type of environment. Works for some, doesn't work for others. I call it brainwashing, so be strong and see through the BS. Intentions start off good, but this is also a means of controlling the masses. Now this brings me to my last con: diversity. Real struggles here. Very white male dominated as you go up through the ranks. You do not see many people of color or many women in leadership roles. This is a problem. By 2040, the US will be majority minorities, so you must start putting efforts in diversifying your teams to reflect your communities and customers. They can't seem to retain any of their diverse employees.

Advice to Management

Lead by respect and not fear. It's a funny thing, people will do a lot more for you when they want to, out of respect for you; not because they HAVE to. They are adults, they don't need to be micro-managed by managers on power trips. Happier people are just more productive. It's a fact. Audits on managers should be done to ensure that all of your employees are getting the best and most effective development; and, if not, then there should be restructuring. Don't just let good talent sink, when you can teach them how to swim. Educate your managers how to effectively lead and develop individuals that are not like them and you will see an increase in diversity. This starts with your managers understanding the culture differences and better ways to communicate. Also, get rid of unnecessary process. Cut the fat! More process means slower speed to market and running your employees to the ground on unnecessary work, just to hit arbitrary numbers. That brings me to my next piece of advice: adjust your EBR's so that they are realistic for people that have more people on their payroll. A recruiter that has 20 people on their payroll is not going to realistically hit your 25 G2's as easily as a recruiter with 3 people on their payroll. It then just becomes a number that they have to hit and your quality goes down. I really hope that this advice is taken to heart, as I put a lot of thought into my comments here. I really think TEKsystems can be truly great if they listened to the people more, customize to what works in each market/office, and change what is unnecessary.

3. "Sr. Application Analyst"

Former Contractor - Senior Healthcare IT Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Senior Healthcare IT Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TEKsystems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid well and consistent feedback on performance

Cons

I have no cons for this company.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management.

4. "Great for starting out"

Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Marietta, GA
    Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Marietta, GA

I worked at TEKsystems as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're trying to build your IT resume and get your foot in the door, TekSystems is great at finding a place for you

Cons

Your experience will vary depending on the recruiter who is assigned to you. I've had at least ten different recruiters in the last decade.

5. "Gets the job done."

Former Contractor - Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TEKsystems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Have a good process and seem to be very capable in following that process. Have a lot of very professional staff and you can see why they have grown so well. I never had a problem getting paid nor any problem with their daily processes, and my interactions with their staff were both courteous and welcoming (if a little artificial).

Cons

Anything off-process seems to stump them and require a Herculean effort on their part to address.

Advice to Management

Not much - you have a winning structure that will suit 95% of clients and 95% of contractors just fine.

6. "Program & Project Manager"

Current Contractor - IT Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Contractor - IT Project Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at TEKsystems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company works with a lot of middle market companies throughout the Atlanta area.

Cons

The relationships are more transaction based.

Advice to Management

Work to build deeper relationships and account management

7. "Qaulity control engineer"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TEKsystems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of jobs available, if your flexable

Cons

reimbursement of expenses, lack of communication. lack of support. revolving door

"No actual benefits."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TEKsystems (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay rate was decent. Exactly the same as I had at my prior position - so don't tell them what you're making or you can pretty much say good bye to any increase.

Cons

Despite offering 'benefits' they do not actually provide any assistance with health insurance premiums, no company match on the 401K, and no paid days off for anything. And I was a W-2 employee with them.

Advice to Management

Nothing will change so why bother.

"Entry level? Great place to start. Already seasoned? STAY AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think this is a great industry to start your career in (there are so many staffing firms in Atlanta, it really doesn't matter where you go.)

I think everyone at the Entry level should work hard and pay their dues and this place certainly demands that. You have an opportunity to make a lot of money with the uncapped commission.

The skills you can pick up if you work hard are going to be very valuable

Cons

If you have a few years of experience under your belt, just don't even bother. To them, you may as well be Entry level.

Work / Life balance is an absolute joke.

The pay for most is average at best. Base pay is laughable and commission CAN be amazing but a ton of it depends on the business you are working on

Politics and micromanagement are some of the worst I have ever seen

Turnover

Advice to Management

Catch 22 because I would never recommend this company to anyone who has already been out in the working world but you need that if you expect the pitiful business to grow at all

10. "Senior Contractors Be Aware - Do Not Accept Contract"

Current Contractor - Senior Peoplesoft Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Contractor - Senior Peoplesoft Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at TEKsystems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of small clients and Microsoft based technology needs

Cons

Greedy Recruiters - Sweet talker! Selfish Recruiters will only talk to you when they need information from you on need to place. If you have any question than after they will not even answer your calls or emails.

Recruiters would treat you like a Junior student intern - they have no respect for the senior consultants. I have been through the experience and want to share with other senior consultants - This company and their clients are of no use to you.

Initially you may be inclined to get the job because of sweet talking, but later you would repent.......

Showing 42 of 2,655 reviews