TEKsystems Reviews | Glassdoor

TEKsystems Reviews

Updated April 23, 2017

Pros
  • Work/life balance is hard for anyone (in 33 reviews)

• Great company with great people (in 79 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TEKsystems has outstanding on boarding for new recruiters. They invest a lot of time and manpower to help you get up to speed ASAP. You need to have a 2 year investment plan to really start making some good money. With the right mindset, you can be very successful.

Cons

Days can get long. It's a sales job so expect long hours.

"Great company with whom to work"

Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at TEKsystems as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. I have worked with 2 divisions at TEK (Global Services and Staff Augmentation/Managed Services). They are both fun groups.
    2. The pay is good as long as you are good at what you do and you have realistic expectations of your worth.
    3. You get invited to a lot of Happy Hours.
    4. Most recruiters reach out to their recruits every 6-8 weeks. It might be a phone call or it might be a luncheon or sometimes an email, but the communications has been excellent for me.
    5. They prepare you as best they can for the interview. At times their hands are tied, because the job descriptions they get are often vague or misleading.
    6. They make you feel wanted.
    7. They proactively look for the next opportunity for you if your contract is ending. In their new database they can submit the contract close date by individual and get a reminder 45 days before the expected end to contact you about the next opportunity.
    8. Depending on your position, you may be able to negotiate paid vacation days and/or holidays in lieu of a higher hourly rate.
    9. Depending on your title you may be able to accrue paid sick time.
    10. Depending on your relationship with your recruiter there may be opportunities for activities outside of work.

Cons

1. The 2 divisions don't really like one another. I actually had to get permission from my Global Services boss to attend a function with the Staff Augmentation team. That is petty.
    2. If you have to travel you are expected to take the least expensive way to get there. If it means 3 stops to get from point A to point B, then that is what you need to do if it is the cheapest fare. It doesn't matter if it doubles or triples the trip's length.
    4. Health care benefits are extremely expensive if you go through TEK.
    5. On-boarding must be done at a TEK facility. Part of the reason for this is if you are provided a TEK laptop you must log into it the first time behind the TEK firewall.
    6. This did not apply to me, but it did apply to some of the people who worked for me. TEK won't directly hire anybody who does not have a green card. These folks must go through an intermediary, so 2 companies take a cut of the hourly rate the "hiring" company is paying.

Advice to Management

1. Stop the pettiness between organizations.
    2. Keep the communications flow open.

3. "Great Company To Work For"

Current Employee - CSA in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - CSA in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

such a fun place to work. lots of growth opportunity

Cons

TEK tends to under pay support staff

"Good For Long-Term Growth"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are #8 of best places to work in Phoenix. It's a great atmosphere - most employees are in their 20s (except leadership) and they are all very ambitious and positive; they even get up and shake your hand if you're visiting. It's the perfect "first real job" after graduating college because it's business casual, you have an actual desk phone, there are high expectations of you and you develop essential skills that will help you be successful later.

Leadership cares about employee retention so if an employee is unhappy, there is an open-door policy where you are not judged for sharing your thoughts and they do all they reasonably can to keep you happy and employed - like reassigning you to a different team or role.

There are several opportunities to move up in the company and if you are decent at your job, it's basically a guarantee that, in time, you will make plenty of money and have several avenues available to you within the company.

TEKsystems offers extremely comprehensive benefits at insanely cheap rates.

They have plenty of food in the break room in case you forgot to have breakfast or lunch.

They promote self-development and they have team activities outside of work.

There are 6 team leads (currently)- all with varying personalities. Most of them have great leadership styles.

The Phoenix Delivery Center is in the TEKsystems headquarters building, so they have frequent, in-person contact with executives.

Cons

The growth is slow at first. You don't start out making that much money (if you are entry-level). Expect about a year working there before you make a decent living. When you are hired on, you are assigned to a team based on where they need more man-power, which puts the company's needs higher than the employee.
    Turnover rate is high due to entry-level employees leaving for a higher-paying job.
    A couple of the team leads can be more "managers" than "leaders."
    The hours are long: 50-hour work weeks and sometimes you are encouraged to work Saturdays.
    There seems to be an unwritten rule that if you have more tenure, you have more perks (like dressing casually or working from home whenever you want) - which is annoying when entry-level employees aren't allowed to do those.

Advice to Management

Some of the team leads are better "managers" than leaders and have never had leadership training. Team leads need training in leadership to avoid negative psychological effects on employees. Team leads should ultimately help their team members improve while remaining positive and motivational.

"Great First Job"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Boston, MA

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great pay right out of college
    -Uncapped commission potential
    -Great training and development
    -Very fast growth in career and pay

Cons

-Long hours/work-life balance
    -It's sales, things don't always go your way and you're going to be stressed out
    -Be prepared to be uncomfortable often; it's good for your growth!

Advice to Management

Keep up the frequent communication, it's great!

7. "Great first job after college"

Current Employee - Business Operations Associate in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Business Operations Associate in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, time and a half pay, detailed training and onboarding with no background necessary.

Cons

Managers are not accountable at times, work load can be overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Try to relate to your associates.

8. "GOOD CONSULTING FIRM"

Former Employee - Project Management Analyst in Mossville, IL
    Former Employee - Project Management Analyst in Mossville, IL

I worked at TEKsystems (Less than a year)

Pros

Was great working with them. No payment problems and they are professional which good.

Cons

I don't have any cons to talk about seriously.

"Enjoyed my time with Tek"

Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Prineville, OR
    Former Employee - Data Center Technician in Prineville, OR

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Got my foot in the door to a Data Center, and my contract was picked up and hired on within 6 months. Read some terrible reviews on some recruiters, but the staff I worked with are wonderful.

Cons

Contractor work, so not really sure where you'll be at times.

10. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Pros

Within a month of being laid off of my previous job my TekSystems recruiter was able to place me into a contract position

Cons

I have no cons at this time

11. "Efficient, plesant, helpful"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Englewood, CO

Pros

Share insight on customer needs, efficient setup and explanation of benefits, value individuals

Cons

Not all customers are willing to let TEKsystems know what they want.

Showing 774 of 2,483 reviews