TEKsystems Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 27, 2017
1,853 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,853 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • Work/life balance is hard for anyone (in 33 reviews)

• Great company with great people (in 79 reviews)

Cons

1. "Some Recruiters are better than others"

Former Employee - Reporting Analyst in Middleburg, FL
    Former Employee - Reporting Analyst in Middleburg, FL

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits for contract work; medical, dental & 401k unmatched.. Hands off once you are placed (in my experience). Good reputation in the industry.

Cons

Once your application has been submitted for a job there is no communication back. This is my most recent experience. No return phone calls or e-mails. I'm not one to frequently contact the recruiter, but I do follow up. Really don't appreciate zero response.

Advice to Management

Monitor younger, newer recruiters.

2. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at TEKsystems (More than 3 years)

Pros

Greta place to work at

Cons

none to speak of , good job

Advice to Management

Keek up the great work

3. "Delivery Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility and work life balance.

Cons

Political management and immature, inexperienced staff.

5. "Project Operations Associate"

Current Employee - Project Operations Associate in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Project Operations Associate in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Friendly environment. Lives out core-values.

Cons

Unnecessary stress from managers. Everyone is pretty underpaid.

Advice to Management

Don't drop position title changes randomly. It came out of the blue... every project analyst become a project operations associate.

6. "Scam"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Detroit, MI

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entry level job out of college with no experience.

Cons

Hours, cold calls, low pay, turnover, get the experience and leave.

7. "Enjoyed contracting through TekSystems"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher/IA in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher/IA in Memphis, TN

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great role, great team. realistic job preview.

Cons

offboarding wasn't as strong as it could have been

Advice to Management

help make offboarding transition more predictable

"Account Manager/Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give the best training in the industry and the culture is great. The people make up for the low pay and long hours and will be what keeps you there. They also pay for most of your meals, as they are expensed (these will either be client breakfasts/lunches/dinners, happy hours, internal meals for team bonding, etc) and they do a lot of team building events. If you can figure out how to navigate the political waters well, you will do just fine. So - kiss up to the "leaders" that can influence decisions (aka promotions) and you can make a lot of money. Once you are in, you are set. Oh, and if you are a white male - you will also do just fine.

Cons

The pay is lower than industry standard. Leadership likes to state that they raised the salary to 50K to "invest" in the people, but don't be fooled. It's called a Labor Law that every company has to abide by, if you are a salaried employee making less than 41K, then they are required to pay you OT. Due to the long hours that this job requires, it was cheaper for them to just raise the salary. Recruiters that first join will still be paid at 30K, until they hit two non-consecutive weeks with their spread hitting at least 3K. Until then, ramen is your best friend...and your only friend, since you won't be able to afford to go out or do anything on that measly salary in Atlanta. 50K isn't that bad, you say? It's not, but you wear MULTIPLE hats here. The recruiter chair is also the sourcer, the recruiter (meaning you also negotiate rates and feedback, interviews, etc), the admin for onboarding, and continuing maintenance of your contractor. If you go into an interview, they will say that you have an opportunity to make 100K, 200K, even 300K. Whoah, sounds awesome! Well, take a good look at the board and see how many people are actually making that kind of money. Maybe 3 out of 10. It is possible, but you have to kiss the right behind, get lucky and be handed gravy accounts, or someone really helps you along the way. Now, there are those that can do it on their own, but that may take you a lot of blood, sweat and tears over many, many moons. Not that I am opposed to hard work, but why is that not distributed evenly and fairly? Again, highly political environment. It is also VERY process heavy - which means you cannot pivot as easily to your customers' needs. Process meaning - meet the candidate, do two references, and create a "sell package" (which will just be emailed over - AKA you are doing the sales person's job) in order to even submit your candidate. The reason behind this is they are selling "quality". My assumption is, they realize how much market share they were losing and thought "quality" was the answer, but many managers care more about speed to market. Truth of the matter is, all of the staffing agencies are pulling from the same pool of talent. By the time you get your candidate over, the job has already been filled or your candidate has already gotten three offers. However, in some cases this process works really well for the managers. Makes sense to do all of that for highly technical roles that recruiters may not be able to screen as effectively. The problem is, everyone must follow the same process for every client. I mentioned the culture was great there, which it is, but can be very cult-like at times. A lot of kumbayah, sit around the fire, type of environment. Works for some, doesn't work for others. I call it brainwashing, so be strong and see through the BS. Intentions start off good, but this is also a means of controlling the masses. Now this brings me to my last con: diversity. Real struggles here. Very white male dominated as you go up through the ranks. You do not see many people of color or many women in leadership roles. This is a problem. By 2040, the US will be majority minorities, so you must start putting efforts in diversifying your teams to reflect your communities and customers. They can't seem to retain any of their diverse employees.

Advice to Management

Lead by respect and not fear. It's a funny thing, people will do a lot more for you when they want to, out of respect for you; not because they HAVE to. They are adults, they don't need to be micro-managed by managers on power trips. Happier people are just more productive. It's a fact. Audits on managers should be done to ensure that all of your employees are getting the best and most effective development; and, if not, then there should be restructuring. Don't just let good talent sink, when you can teach them how to swim. Educate your managers how to effectively lead and develop individuals that are not like them and you will see an increase in diversity. This starts with your managers understanding the culture differences and better ways to communicate. Also, get rid of unnecessary process. Cut the fat! More process means slower speed to market and running your employees to the ground on unnecessary work, just to hit arbitrary numbers. That brings me to my next piece of advice: adjust your EBR's so that they are realistic for people that have more people on their payroll. A recruiter that has 20 people on their payroll is not going to realistically hit your 25 G2's as easily as a recruiter with 3 people on their payroll. It then just becomes a number that they have to hit and your quality goes down. I really hope that this advice is taken to heart, as I put a lot of thought into my comments here. I really think TEKsystems can be truly great if they listened to the people more, customize to what works in each market/office, and change what is unnecessary.

9. "Good place to start your recruiting/sales career"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Jose, CA

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

TEK provides adequate training for entry level recruiters/sales.
    You travel to Arizona (if you're on the west) for a week long training session after being on the job for a few weeks.
    Your peers and account managers are available for sales role-plays and shadowing.

Cons

Office culture can really vary depending on location. Sometimes they can get very cliquey.
    Hard to carve out a career path in recruiting.
    Starting salary is not great especially if you are in California.
    Very old school mentality when it comes to work/life balance, remote work, etc..
    Most leave or get scouted by other companies to be internal recruiters which is easier than technical recruiting for contractors.

Advice to Management

Mentor-ship is important. Cultivate a culture of mentoring and review the compensation plans especially in large cities.

"Very Attentive"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Huntsville, AL

Pros

I've found TEKsystems very approachable and very interested in my success. I look forward to a continued relationship with them

Cons

The benefits are expensive and sparse.

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Management always in contact and very helpful with your concerns.
    The recruiters take you to lunch bi-monthly to hear your concerns with the job.

Cons

Their time card system could use some improving.

Showing 1,853 of 2,498 reviews