TEKsystems Reviews | Glassdoor

TEKsystems Reviews

Updated March 26, 2017

Pros
  • Work/life balance is hard for anyone (in 32 reviews)

• Account manager knows how to take care of people (in 76 reviews)

Cons

1. "Data Center Technician"

Current Contractor - Data Center Technician
    Current Contractor - Data Center Technician

I have been working at TEKsystems as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great starter company for someone with little experience to get their foot in the door somewhere.

Cons

Missing some of the major benefits like PTO or Paid holidays. Especially if you are working at a larger company that gives their employees a week off for holidays, that leaves you with a week of no pay.

2. "Good Company"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at TEKsystems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Clients and Working Environment

Cons

None that come to mind

3. "Project Operations Associate"

Current Employee - Project Operations Associate in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Project Operations Associate in Hanover, MD

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Friendly environment. Lives out core-values.

Cons

Unnecessary stress from managers. Everyone is pretty underpaid.

Advice to Management

Don't drop position title changes randomly. It came out of the blue... every project analyst become a project operations associate.

5. "Enjoyed contracting through TekSystems"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher/IA in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Researcher/IA in Memphis, TN

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great role, great team. realistic job preview.

Cons

offboarding wasn't as strong as it could have been

Advice to Management

help make offboarding transition more predictable

6. "Sr. Application Analyst"

Former Contractor - Senior Healthcare IT Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Senior Healthcare IT Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TEKsystems as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid well and consistent feedback on performance

Cons

I have no cons for this company.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management.

7. "Tek Systems"

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time

Pros

They have a great staff

Cons

They have terrible benefits. Treat the Professional employees like they are $20 hour employees. The benefits are terrible.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TEKsystems has outstanding on boarding for new recruiters. They invest a lot of time and manpower to help you get up to speed ASAP. You need to have a 2 year investment plan to really start making some good money. With the right mindset, you can be very successful.

Cons

Days can get long. It's a sales job so expect long hours.

9. "Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Management always in contact and very helpful with your concerns.
    The recruiters take you to lunch bi-monthly to hear your concerns with the job.

Cons

Their time card system could use some improving.

"Account Manager/Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TEKsystems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give the best training in the industry and the culture is great. The people make up for the low pay and long hours and will be what keeps you there. They also pay for most of your meals, as they are expensed (these will either be client breakfasts/lunches/dinners, happy hours, internal meals for team bonding, etc) and they do a lot of team building events. If you can figure out how to navigate the political waters well, you will do just fine. So - kiss up to the "leaders" that can influence decisions (aka promotions) and you can make a lot of money. Once you are in, you are set. Oh, and if you are a white male - you will also do just fine.

Cons

The pay is lower than industry standard. Leadership likes to state that they raised the salary to 50K to "invest" in the people, but don't be fooled. It's called a Labor Law that every company has to abide by, if you are a salaried employee making less than 41K, then they are required to pay you OT. Due to the long hours that this job requires, it was cheaper for them to just raise the salary. Recruiters that first join will still be paid at 30K, until they hit two non-consecutive weeks with their spread hitting at least 3K. Until then, ramen is your best friend...and your only friend, since you won't be able to afford to go out or do anything on that measly salary in Atlanta. 50K isn't that bad, you say? It's not, but you wear MULTIPLE hats here. The recruiter chair is also the sourcer, the recruiter (meaning you also negotiate rates and feedback, interviews, etc), the admin for onboarding, and continuing maintenance of your contractor. If you go into an interview, they will say that you have an opportunity to make 100K, 200K, even 300K. Whoah, sounds awesome! Well, take a good look at the board and see how many people are actually making that kind of money. Maybe 3 out of 10. It is possible, but you have to kiss the right behind, get lucky and be handed gravy accounts, or someone really helps you along the way. Now, there are those that can do it on their own, but that may take you a lot of blood, sweat and tears over many, many moons. Not that I am opposed to hard work, but why is that not distributed evenly and fairly? Again, highly political environment. It is also VERY process heavy - which means you cannot pivot as easily to your customers' needs. Process meaning - meet the candidate, do two references, and create a "sell package" (which will just be emailed over - AKA you are doing the sales person's job) in order to even submit your candidate. The reason behind this is they are selling "quality". My assumption is, they realize how much market share they were losing and thought "quality" was the answer, but many managers care more about speed to market. Truth of the matter is, all of the staffing agencies are pulling from the same pool of talent. By the time you get your candidate over, the job has already been filled or your candidate has already gotten three offers. However, in some cases this process works really well for the managers. Makes sense to do all of that for highly technical roles that recruiters may not be able to screen as effectively. The problem is, everyone must follow the same process for every client. I mentioned the culture was great there, which it is, but can be very cult-like at times. A lot of kumbayah, sit around the fire, type of environment. Works for some, doesn't work for others. I call it brainwashing, so be strong and see through the BS. Intentions start off good, but this is also a means of controlling the masses. Now this brings me to my last con: diversity. Real struggles here. Very white male dominated as you go up through the ranks. You do not see many people of color or many women in leadership roles. This is a problem. By 2040, the US will be majority minorities, so you must start putting efforts in diversifying your teams to reflect your communities and customers. They can't seem to retain any of their diverse employees.

Advice to Management

Lead by respect and not fear. It's a funny thing, people will do a lot more for you when they want to, out of respect for you; not because they HAVE to. They are adults, they don't need to be micro-managed by managers on power trips. Happier people are just more productive. It's a fact. Audits on managers should be done to ensure that all of your employees are getting the best and most effective development; and, if not, then there should be restructuring. Don't just let good talent sink, when you can teach them how to swim. Educate your managers how to effectively lead and develop individuals that are not like them and you will see an increase in diversity. This starts with your managers understanding the culture differences and better ways to communicate. Also, get rid of unnecessary process. Cut the fat! More process means slower speed to market and running your employees to the ground on unnecessary work, just to hit arbitrary numbers. That brings me to my next piece of advice: adjust your EBR's so that they are realistic for people that have more people on their payroll. A recruiter that has 20 people on their payroll is not going to realistically hit your 25 G2's as easily as a recruiter with 3 people on their payroll. It then just becomes a number that they have to hit and your quality goes down. I really hope that this advice is taken to heart, as I put a lot of thought into my comments here. I really think TEKsystems can be truly great if they listened to the people more, customize to what works in each market/office, and change what is unnecessary.

11. "Great Consulting Firm"

I worked at TEKsystems full-time

Pros

I had a great experience with this company and the client contract placements. Communication is open and constant with the recruiters. They are excellent at finding contract opportunities that meet your skillet and they helped me achieve a fair hourly rate.

Cons

The company offers medical benefits, which is great, but they are just as costly as buying them yourself.

Advice to Management

None

Showing 764 of 2,441 reviews