TELUS Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Puritt

1,676 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is a little bit difficult but achievable (in 89 reviews)

• As many people work from home it can be hard to get face-to-face time with your peers (in 18 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at TELUS (Less than a year)

Pros

Greatest amenities for Telus employees

Cons

Working contracted job that end

Advice to Management

Great job but allow others more opportunities to join the team

2. "sr project manager"

I have been working at TELUS full-time

Pros

Amazing to work from home

Cons

Ambiguous bonus and review program

3. "Sweet job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at TELUS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, sitting down, good training

Cons

Mass lay offs, mass hiring... because of mass lay offs.. it’s all a cycle.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring to fire.

4. "Decent company to work for"

I have been working at TELUS full-time

Pros

Lots of free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Frequently receive conflicting information from management.

5. "Team Leader"

I worked at TELUS full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and people. Fun engagment

Cons

Horrible management now. Pay is well below par

Advice to Management

Increase pay to be at least on average

6. "Telus Intl' CC"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at TELUS full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay rate not livable and work overload 60 hrs a wk.

Cons

Pay Rate - Nevada salary lower than California

Advice to Management

My skills sets as an IT Professional (Certified) and Facilities Mgr did not meet salary rate and management should match according experience.

7. "HR"

Former Employee - Human Resources in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in San Jose, CA

I worked at TELUS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful opportunity to get my foot in the door into HR. The building is nice which features lockers to put your stuff in, big main cafeteria/kitchen area with a ton of snacks to buy and a ping pong table. Played some serious ping pong several times a week. There is a game room and a gym with decent equipment. It’s open 24/7.

The campaigns are big especially with Google being the biggest client in the Las Vegas location. Most of leadership was great from my perspective but not for others. But I wasn’t on the floor as much to see what was up.

HR team at the time I was there was pretty solid. They did attend to their team members to the best of their ability and resources though some may feel they got shafted. Trust me, folks who got termed unfortunately got themselves into that mess. Saying they don’t “understand” and blame management. Everyone has the chance to either do well or not. But it’s not easy and the conditions may be obstacles in your way.

Benefits offered were great. Usual core benefits and misc benefits like pet life insurance, identity theft, and perkspot.

Volunteer opportunities like TDOG were great. When I was helping with employee engagement, we really put on some wonderful events like the office summer games. But when certain folks took over the reigns, it went way downhill after that.

Overall, great experience for me overall. It’s your typical call center environment. Google is the best campaign to work for. Expect campaigns to end or transfer overseas to places like their Philippines location. Diversity is definitely great here.

Cons

Yes we did have a bed bug epidemic that to the point Telus was on the news. But we did put on an amazing effort to eradicate the issue like free home inspections and free treatment through workers comp. just keep in mind that if you’re not out for more than 7 days, you’re not getting paid! Also, you can’t just blame Telus for the issue. Hygiene, not following rules and lack of taking action on part of team members played a major role. If you follow simple directions, the issue could have been gone sooner.

While benefits were good, the rates did go up for 2017 and was especially hard on team members with dependents. They have an HRA for high deductible health plans which helped out a bit. The benefits portal is fantastic (mercer marketplace). I had a dependent so the rates affected my take home pay. 401k match is 3%.

Rate of pay is at or below market value. A pretty big factor in why I left. Folks think HR makes a lot but we don’t. Honestly some folks in CSR positions made more. TLs salaries were terrible. It’s really when you become an operations manager, director of a department, engineering or in C-suite positions are where you will see at market or higher value. But the experience in very valuable and it’ll get you to a higher salary somewhere else. I’ve more than doubled what I was making here. Just know working entry level is not great pay overall.

After I left, the great “purge” happened and tons of folks lost their jobs but that’s the nature of business.

Advice to Management

Hopefully in time, pay more of the share in premium costs. Folks struggle hardcore especially with dependents but easier said than done. Recognize those that will actually put in the work in team member engagement and let them run the show. It’s terrible now. Rate of pay needs to be more competitive and hopefully your clients will realize that as well. But overall, it’s a great organization to work for and gain valuable experience.

8. "Work environment"

I worked at TELUS full-time

Pros

Can be busy so day goes by faster

Cons

Benefits, and call requirements change consistently. You never know what quality will doing you for and customer surveys count against you even if it's about products or policy you can't change

Advice to Management

Be consistent

9. "Bed bugs"

Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Tech Support Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at TELUS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay and a weight and game room.

Cons

Bad management, bed bugs and fired for no reason

Advice to Management

Lean ,ore so you can teach what the job actually is.

10. "Telus International"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at TELUS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, PTO, guaranteed 40 hours, 2 days off in a row every week, set schedule, decent pay rate, easy, paid training

Cons

Management plays favorites BAD, if you want to be promoted (and they are always promoting) make sure you make friends with the people in power and make sure you NEVER are late and NEVER miss a day. The company backs out of promises often, such as bonuses. Changes in this company are a definite and they will happen at the drop of a dime, this includes closing down your department and training you for something else. Management has no knowledge of the job they are managing. They are not required to have any skill in the department. YOU ARE JUST A NUMBER. No one will care if you have an emergency or sick child. Even if you are in the hospital, your absense will still count against you. And you will get fired for absenses even if you are #1 in rank.

Advice to Management

Learn your department. Take a call from time to time. Educate yourself about the job you are coaching your agents on. Do not play favorites. Treat everyone equally. Stop being petty and gossiping about agents. HAVE SOME COMPASSION!

Showing 1,676 of 1,788 reviews