TELUS Reviews in Vancouver, BC | Glassdoor

TELUS Vancouver Reviews

Updated May 28, 2017

Vancouver, BC, Canada Area (Canada)

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeff Puritt
1 Rating

1. "U"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working here

Cons

U get paid very little money it sucks

2. "If you value working from home more than a competitive salary TELUS is for you"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS full-time

Pros

Great coworkers.
    Work from home (but not for everybody).
    Nice offices.
    Flexible hours.
    Big name in an established industry. It's not going anywere.

Cons

Compensation below market. Bonus never hits target.
    Raises and promotions are scarce and determined by a 'hunger games' review process where if someone is rewarded others pay for it.
    Lot's of reorgs just for the sake of change, particularly in the last years which has decreased morale and work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Promote diversity on the higher levels. Believe in your internal talent.

3. "accountant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

good company and people to work with, nice env,

Cons

can not think of any

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Starting wage for most call centre positions is usually $20/hr(although this may decrease in the future). There is a raise every 900 hours or so and also raise for cost of living. Benefits are sufficient. There are Bravo points you can get to put towards giftcards, etc. There is quite a bit of overtime available at 1.5x pay/ 2xpay(although this may change). Lots of internal opportunities if you really apply yourself.

Cons

- There is a lot of nepotism
    - Telus likes to offshore a lot(search Telus International on Facebook)

"D2C Customer Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at TELUS (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours, Fair pay, Interesting Environment, Peers acted as competition driving us to make sales.

Cons

Bad Management, Lacking Organization, Training process severely lacking in product information and real world customer interaction experiences. Only 3 days of training is too little which reflected in our sales numbers being lower in the beginning than the end. More On site training.

Advice to Management

Know what you want before you send us out. Better organization

"Field Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Good Benefits, progressive company, diverse workgroup

Cons

Company feels too "big" hard to implement changes. Not enough contact with middle upper management.

Advice to Management

Spend more time addressing Best Practices as opposed to spending majority of time on breaking down the causes.

"Operations Supervisor"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at TELUS (More than a year)

Pros

Work for their employees Friendly environment

Cons

salary schedule campaign communication work life balance

"Could be worse, but could also be significantly better"

Former Employee - Developer Analyst II in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Developer Analyst II in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Pros

- Staff are mostly wonderful people and I never dealt with any personal conflicts. I will really miss everyone I worked with!

- Very welcoming environment, especially for women and minorities. Never experienced or witnessed any gender or cultural/racial discrimination. Overall a positive atmosphere regardless of your gender or background.

- Good work-life balance

- Cafeteria has decent food

- 40% Internet/TV discount for employees in BC and AB

- Very flexible work-from-home options, can even do it over 50% of the time

- You get to live in BC and enjoy the scenery outside of work

- Believe it or not, there are tech companies which pay worse than Telus does.

Cons

- Unacceptably low salaries. No, the benefits do not even come close to making up for it. Yes, this is Canada and we cannot expect Silicon Valley salaries, but even by Canadian standards, salary and benefits are depressingly low - at least $10k below average. We don't even get free coffee and we have to pay for the company gym. We pay for transit passes out of pocket and are horrendously overcharged for parking despite being in a suburb. Our cafeteria has raised prices to the point that driving out to eat is now cheaper. At other companies you not only get a higher salary but also significantly more perks, so working at Telus is a double whammy.

- Not many interesting opportunities for developers, though this is probably endemic to the consumer telco sector, not just Telus. I had to create opportunities for myself through automation initiatives.

- Many projects use outdated tech stacks, causing a stagnation of skills. If you want to use all the cool and hot stuff like React, Angular, Clojure, AWS, etc, stay far away. This also puts you at a disadvantage when you apply to other jobs - start self learning at home if you end up working here.

- Company-supplied equipment (laptops, monitors, etc) is terrible, though given the work-from-home flexibility I can't complain too much since I was able to remedy this somewhat by attaching my own equipment.

- Products and services are lackluster. In our own building (as well as most of the suburbs), Rogers Wireless has better mobile signal strength and speed. Yes, in a Telus building, a competitor provides superior service. Mobile apps for the Optik TV are abominable. If your own employees are dissatisfied with your own products and services, you have a problem.

- Senior management just wants to keep cutting this and that, if they are not laying off people. Performance bonuses have been reduced, annual pay raise pools have shrunk significantly, fun events are being cut back, and as mentioned previously the already-mediocre benefits are also under attack. Talented developers are jumping ship every few months and you really want to keep this up?

Advice to Management

Enough has been said by other reviewers here... I doubt they'll ever listen. In this market in Canada, it's pretty much impossible for the company to go under.

9. "Happy Here"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at TELUS (More than a year)

Pros

Career growth within the company as internal employees are prioritized for vacant positions. Friday treats are fun to have. Gym inside the facility is also a good benefit.

Cons

Minimal salary increase offered to employees

Advice to Management

Value your people as they are the ones who make your future friendly.

10. "nice place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Implementation Manager III in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Implementation Manager III in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at TELUS (More than 8 years)

Pros

great people to work with . both bargaining and non bargaining unit team members

Cons

pay is lower than market sallery

Advice to Management

listen the to smart people you hire

Showing 59 of 1,498 reviews