TESSCO Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 21, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Murray Wright

Pros
Cons
  • Extreme micro-management, though it ebbs and flows in intensity (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is disconnected from the employees (in 6 reviews)

1. "Change is needed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My co-workers are what get me through a work day. Have high hopes for our new CEO to make some great changes that are long overdue.

Cons

Compensation is a huge pitfall. Cost of living increases, your paycheck hardly does.

2. "Administrative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They have hard working professionals who come into the company wanting to do a great job. They do promote within first.

Cons

Some of the veteran leadership still tries to implement changes which are the same things we use to do but rename them, consequently they didnt work then and still do not now. They just give it a different color lipstick with yet another new acronym. Until they renew the old leadership changes will come hard.

3. "Great company potential with the right leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hunt Valley, MD

Pros

Interesting products (wireless technology) and lots of really talented, dedicated people at TESSCO. Good insurance benefits.

Cons

Web site is not easy to navigate and overly complicated. Sales leaders don't hold sales teams accountable. There's no consistent strategy and direction from leaders about how to reach company goals.

Advice to Management

Limit goals to most important and provide clear direction how to reach them. Don't make employees ask for raises.

4. "Decent place to start a career."

Former Employee - Finance in Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Finance in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are very good. They match 50% up to 3% on 401k. Office place is pleasant and right off I-83. Lower level managers are great to work for.

Cons

Pay is below average. The comp adjustment is a complete joke. You have to beg for a raise. Salary employees have to clock in and out. Have to document when you go to lunch or anytime you are away from the computer. It's insulting that they don't trust their own employees. The company is reactive instead of proactive. Upper management is disconnected from the employees. The CEO does not embrace change causing the company to not meet its potential.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. The OES in house system is awful and is a major bottleneck to the company. Stop micromanaging everything and maybe your employees will enjoy working at TESSCO

5. "Development Executive"

Former Employee - Development Executive in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Development Executive in Baltimore, MD

I worked at TESSCO (More than 3 years)

Pros

steady pay and good benefits (better then most from what I am told by others in the HR world)
    teammates, the people you work with are good people

Cons

lack of support personnel
    constant changes and lack of direction from management

6. "Great company for Veterans and National Guardsmen."

Former Employee - Cellular Tech, Picker in Dover, PA
    Former Employee - Cellular Tech, Picker in Dover, PA

I worked at TESSCO (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Company for good Health Care, vacation time, advancing your education, personal sick time, fun company piknics. Rather fair. The picker jobs can really extend your life by requiring you to walk up to 10 miles a day. Salary increases occure as you deligently put in papers to back up why you warant an increase. Human Resources is very responsive to reports, they investigate and take serious any reasonable reports based on HR theory. Great company to apply to if you have a military background. Great supporter of veterans and also time off for National Guard.

Cons

Not necessarily a great place for advanced degrees. It is based as an entrepreneurial company where the founding family put their own house up as a guarantee. Professional in the sence that they do hire talented CPA's to run the company. Although most people in governance are very personable, and greet you in the morning, there are one or two who do not value interpersonal relations, like the person in charge of inventory. However she is very good at her jobs, gets rush jobs done fast, did a stellar job with returns.

Advice to Management

Seek out those with degrees in the workforce, mentor and career path to benefit the employee as well as company.

7. "sales support representative"

Current Employee - Sales Support in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company was a flat organization and they provided a lot of small fun activities. fairs ect when there was a holiday for example at Valentines day they gave everyone in the organization a red or pink cup cake

Cons

There is not a lot of advancement potential. There is a lot of in-fighting between markets.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better.

8. "A growing company held back by small thinking"

Former Employee - PK Specialist in Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - PK Specialist in Timonium, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and helpful. The company is pretty laid back, and the benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Management loves to preach how they want to act like an enlightened company, but they come back time and again to micromanage. Raises are a joke - you only are considered if you ask.

Advice to Management

New blood is needed - try and actually be a bigger company and you might succeed.

9. "Great Culture and People but Politics and Favoritism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly supervisors and team co-workers. Overall positive happy cultural environment. Staff does things for birthdays (ballon, card, food and lunch), Raven's Football and Holidays.

TESSCO does give out value share bonuses every year if the company does well. Get that extra check!

If you have a cool supervisor and have an important role then your annual evaluation review will be awesome.

You get a lot of vacation time and flexible schedule. From my experience, my supervisor was very understanding when I needed time off if I was sick or planning vacation. My supervisor was NOT micromanagement if I was running a few minutes late which was great.

Tuition reimbursement benefits. Get that Master's degree paid by TESSCO! If you are pursuing a Master's that relates to your job at TESSCO then the company will cover you.

I recommend this company for a young professional looking to build 2-3 years of experience on their resume. After that, move on if there are no other positions that interest you.

Cons

Your career won't really advance unless your boss or someone with executive powers favors you. It's all about WHO you know and how MUCH they LIKE you. Your skills and previous experience could be great but if your supervisor favors someone else there is nothing you can do really. My experience started out great but then went flat like a soda that is why this review is rated 3 stars. If I could rate 3.5, I would.

Some projects are given to a "favorite" on a high level exposure while other employees get small unnoticeable projects or they are ignored even though they have the skills and experience.

Also TESSCO invests in new hires but will sometimes drop employees that have been with the company 10 years or more. Within 2 weeks I saw 3 people get fired when the company wasn't doing well. One person was replaced by a fresh college grad that they can pay for less for doing the same thing.

Also I've seen the CEO promote people to VP level or hire a new VP above managers that have been there awhile because he likes them.

Advice to Management

For annual evaluations, allow employees the opportunity to submit anonymous feedback to voice concerns to help monitor favoritism or unfair activity.

More diversity in executive roles. Where are the Black or Latino Vice Presidents? I've seen like one Asian and one Indian at an executive level.

"Good Overll Experience"

Current Employee - Sales in Hunt Valley, MD
    Current Employee - Sales in Hunt Valley, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Solid benefits
    - Good training
    - Good atmoshere
    - Good people

Cons

- Career paths limited - a lot of equivelent roles ,but not a alot of upward roles/growth
    - Senior leadership drives all corporate goals and policies and they are not aware of the true challenges of the various markets we serve. Unrealistic ideas of how they think business should be executed.
    - High work volume/high pressure
    - Pay not terrible, but not great

Advice to Management

- Create anonymous feedback system to obtain honest feedback on current processes and initiatives. You may get a lot of negative/unprofessional responses, but you may get some good insight into the reality of the market challenges.
    - Value the person above the numbers. Don't make changes based on numbers alone and on paper alone. Think about those affected, as though it were your own career, or your son or daughter's career that will be affected by the changes.
    - Develop a long-term plan that is reasonable. There seems to be a lot of rash changes and re-organizing based on a bad quarter or a bad year. All the changes only add to the instability and uncertainty of the teams. It almost becomes an insiders' mockery - "another change".