TESSCO Reviews | Glassdoor

TESSCO Reviews

Updated January 31, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good benefits, days off, 401k match (in 8 reviews)

• Continually attract great people who really care (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is disconnected from the employees (in 6 reviews)

• Outgoing CEO/COB wasn't open to change, new ideas, or those that were different than his (in 3 reviews)

"Great People and Work Environment"

I have been working at TESSCO full-time

Pros

Great co workers, help when needed, great benefits, advancement opportunities, nice building/environment, lots of training classes available, tuition reimbursement, involved in charity events, great PTO time, very understanding if you need off, can work from home if needed due to emergency or bad weather.

Cons

salaried and 9+ hrs a day sometimes, I have noticed that men make more than women in the same positions which is totally not fair but sadly still happens, I was told in the interview that my bonus pay and profit share would be higher that it actually is. They haven't paid a profit share in the last 3 years

2. "Could be great......but"

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Truly some great people work at Tessco, but the management at top is just horrible. They do not see the big picture and this is the reason Tessco is dying. Sadly, the great people all leave because they are beyond frustrated.

Health benefits are ok.

Cons

The comp plan for sales is a joke. Recent changes have made it impossible to make any money. You will make the company $100K a month in profit and see ZERO ! Yes, ZERO ! Morale is terrible and most middle managers know this, but they are powerless to make changes.

The order entry system is a complete mess, constructed in 1980 and uses DOS dollar sign prompts. I mean really? This is a tech company !

401K is subpar , poor match and you get half in company stock.

Advice to Management

Wake up, we need inventory ! 8 week lead times on everything is killing us ! There is a reason almost all your sales people are looking to leave. Could truly be a great place, but there needs to be some changes at the top and fast.

"very mediocre experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at TESSCO (More than a year)

Pros

Sales team was made up of good, nice, hard working people. Looks good on a resume for starting experience but get out quick!

Cons

Upper management was very hit or miss, seemed to be no real clear direction of where company was going. Tessco uses old school command line system for sales team, very very out of date. My boss was terrible, came in late everyday and did not give me enough to do.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at TESSCO (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed my fellow employees and their dedication on trying to succeed while trying to work with-in managements micro-management.

Cons

This company is the true definition of "micromanagement". That alone was driving me and many others to question our decision to work here, but the straw drove me out, was the restructured commission plan which adversely affecting my annual income and success.

Advice to Management

Stop telling new hires that TESSCO has a great culture and is trying to be like "Amazon" because it doesn't have a great culture and it's nowhere close to being like Amazon. If you want to be like Amazon, stop paying a stock dividend to modernize the outdated systems and invest in the company.

"Horrendous Management"

Former Employee - Sales in Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Sales in Timonium, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People on the floor are hard working and generally pleasant to work with.

Cons

Every time sales folks begin to get ahead the restructure the commission to screw over the sales teams.
    Management gives new definition to "micromanagement". Many of these people have been doing this job for 5-10+ years. Give them enough credit to do their job without analyzing every second of their work day.

Advice to Management

Show some loyalty to those who are working hard for the company

"Lack of Direction at TESSCO"

Pros

Big company with personal feel, somewhat decent culture with office events, lunches etc

Cons

Poor direction for lower level employees, high turnover rate

Advice to Management

Hold management accountable

8. "Ventev division"

Pros

Ventev is a solid team, and a hard working small group who are passionate about what they do. I enjoyed my time working with them.

Cons

Corporate bureaucracy made simple tasks impossible, micro managing, and very tough to get rewarded or any significant salary increases, which leads to a revolving door environment.

9. "Sales"

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

chance to develop even though sometimes only laterally. Touch many industries and technologies

Cons

poor management from top to bottom. sales compensations plans have changed dramatically and it's hard to achieve goal sales and commission.

Advice to Management

treat your employees right if you want the business to grow. room for development, encouragement and training programs are needed. industry competitive compensation plans need to be implementes

10. "Account Manger"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Timonium, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time

Pros

Good benefits, days off, 401k match. If you like to travel, there is a lot of it.

Cons

If you don't like to travel, there is a lot of it. Very "corporate america" environment.

Advice to Management

Times are changing and so is the American culture. Dress to impress doesn't always mean a button down suite, especially if the customer is wearing jeans and a polo. It really makes some of them uncomfortable.

11. "Warehouse Associate"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Dundalk, MD
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Dundalk, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Consistency when I needed to grow..And yearly raises.

Cons

Management,,its hard to get ahead.