TESSCO Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Extreme micro-management, though it ebbs and flows in intensity (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management is disconnected from the employees (in 6 reviews)

1. "Change is needed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My co-workers are what get me through a work day. Have high hopes for our new CEO to make some great changes that are long overdue.

Cons

Compensation is a huge pitfall. Cost of living increases, your paycheck hardly does.

"Worst company - run"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros? Good question. Health benefits. That's it. Nothing else was positive at Tessco. Nothing at all. Besides SOME of the coworkers.

Cons

Management sucks. Leaders don't know how to practice what they preach. Compensation is barely anything. You're overworked and underpaid. Inequality between people who do the same job. Top heavy and only care about the people who make a ridiculous amount of money even though they sit around doing nothing all day. Favoritism towards the employees who bow down to their every wish. They preach "work/life balance" but don't care about families, especially working mothers. Overall, just an awful company to work for that just keeps losing money and losing money - making it impossible to pay their employees adequately.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Don't treat them like children. Stop micromanaging. Pay your employees what they deserve and what they're worth and maybe you wouldn't have such a high turnover.

3. "Picker and packer"

I worked at TESSCO full-time

Pros

Great team work when work was steady.

Cons

Not enough work to maintain steady hours.

Advice to Management

Hire based on experience instead of friendships.

4. "Business Development Executive"

I have been working at TESSCO full-time

Pros

Work environment, support, technology, location

Cons

compensation plan, technical support, marketing

Advice to Management

pay your sales team and you will keep them

"Good but could be better"

Pros

Continually attract great people who really care. Industry has historically been a good one, but has gotten very competitive as growth as slowed in recent years. Strong, well known brand name within the industry. New CEO Murray Wright has a great reputation and seems willing and able to make positive changes to move the business forward.

Cons

Outgoing CEO/COB wasn't open to change, new ideas, or those that were different than his. Company tended to function as a dictatorship as a result. People weren't valued or empowered, and often hesitated to make decisions for fear of being criticized.

Advice to Management

Trust your people. Empower them. Listen to them. Encourage them to take calculated risks and not fear failure. They know what needs to be done in many cases, or are more than capable of figuring it out. Let them do it, but hold them accountable for doing what they commit to.

"TESSCO"

I worked at TESSCO (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sales Professionals will enjoy Account Management positions that come with a base of accounts, work collaboratively with Market Development Managers and travel to meet with top clients (every 1-2 months).

Cons

Leadership was asked for help on a key account. They denied any adjustments or creative solutions to help the client or expand the business. Client was lost and I was let go as a scape goat after the product manager got wind of the loss of business and spoke to head of Reno. Just months before I had the top performing account base in the Reno market. The commission plans were very contrived when I was at TESSCO. The top reps seemed to simply be likable to management and they stayed around long enough to inherit the best performing accounts and territories (government as example). Reno also employees someone who is very rude and I can honestly say a bully that literally yells at reps in front of others. He would disappear during the day saying he was on customer visits and that was often a lie. The CEO liked him and he is good with customers so nothing mattered.

Advice to Management

Help reps to be creative in the product offerings. When I was there the line was that TESSCO is a "One Stop Shop." Great idea and great value proposition and TESSCO was better than much of the competition at being a one stop shop; however many products were still put on back order. And more importantly no matter how much customers heard the value proposition, most of my customers did not care. They were willing to go to multiple vendors for lowest price and quickest delivery.

7. "Great work environment"

Current Employee - Account Specialist in Parkville, MD
    Current Employee - Account Specialist in Parkville, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Very fun and relaxed atmosphere most days.

Cons

Poor management. Outdated sales software

"Stay Away from this business"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Timonium, MD

I have been working at TESSCO full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Health care benefits are good, that's about all I can say positive

Cons

You have to beg for a raise, then get a fraction of what you asked for. The direction of company and work processes change constantly. If you like to be micro-managed, this place is for you. No loyalty to employees, I've seen people with 10+ years be shown the door because company needs to go in another direction. This place is so top heavy with Directors, SR VP's and VP's it's a ship waiting to sink. HR dept is a joke, fails to answer even the smallest inquiry.

Advice to Management

Raise the low morale, we know you can see it. Stop micro-managing every aspect of every task we do. Cut out some of the layers of management.

"Great people but bad place."

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Lutherville Timonium, MD

Pros

Great coworkers (really great!)
    Holiday celebrations
    Benefits package
    Location

Cons

Overworked & underpaid -this company takes that to a totally different level.

9 hour work days but you will need to stay longer or work at home (way too often) after leaving for the day in order to get your tasks completed.

Management is deceiving from my personal experience.

Low PTO

Advice to Management

Be honest with those you hire.

Speak up for your teams.

Make sure you're fully staffed and don't take advantage of people.

If you dislike this place, stop selling it to others - work with upper management to fix it.

"Customer Development Executive"

Former Employee - Customer Development Executive in Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Development Executive in Timonium, MD

I worked at TESSCO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a Great job! Great Company! 33 year old company with a super support system for the front line salesperson, the title of Customer Development Executive. Actually, Inside Sales Support title is Account Specialist and a great place to start at TESSCO, learn the Account Specialist role for X months, then get promoted to the Customer Development Executive position. Customer Welcome Center is another great starting point at TESSCO. if they have openings, They need all sorts of employees, Sales, Marketing, Product management, Vendor Relations, Logistics experts, Warehouse personnel, IT, Salesforce experts, Data Analytics, Remote salespeople. Huge potential to make alot of sales and earn alot of money.

Cons

Overall TESSCO is a great company with plenty of potential.

Advice to Management

Management knows what it is doing! They never asked for my advice.