THG (The Hotel Group) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Avila

1. "Not recomendable job if you are a head of family."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennewick, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennewick, WA

Pros

Help each others to finish as early as possible

Cons

Not full time job. The push to finish early and never complete 8 hours work. Managers act like our payment is going to be from them pocket. Supervisors stepping your steps and putting you down because you don't finish your 8 hours assignment in 5 or 6 hours.

Advice to Management

Let your ladies work as humans not like cleaning machines. A lot of harassment.

Jun 13, 2016 – E-Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We would like the chance to speak with you further. Please call us at (425) 248-2798.

"Poor Management Reputation"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender/Front Desk Agent in Walla Walla, WA
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender/Front Desk Agent in Walla Walla, WA

I worked at THG (The Hotel Group) (More than a year)

Pros

The only benefits I found to working with THG were the employee discounts on hotel stays and the new property I worked in was nice.

Cons

The Management with the new property has been consistently failing. The turn over rate seems to be incredibly high. They are not hiring people who have any experience or are competent in the work. They are always short staffed and pile on work to the few people on shift. Also there is never management around when you need them. Literally all cleared out by 5 pm. We've had several attempts to help management by bringing in task force teams and HR to collaborate our work issues with, yet nothing changes. They are always losing the few good and competent support staff they have for insignifigant reasons. It's unfortunate for them that they have suffered all of this due to poor management in just over a year of being open.

Advice to Management

I suggest you spend more time with your staff, not your fellows managers as much perhaps, and see what the real issues are that need attention in order to keep the property running as it should and better! That means follow up on communication, do employee reviews, manage the TEAM. Act like a leader and not a tyrant. If the staff fears you or doesn't respect you, this is a recipe for failure.

Nov 22, 2016 – E-Marketing Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns. If you could, please call HR at (425) 248-2798. We'd like the chance to speak with you further.

"A Rotting Fish"

Former Employee - Night Auditor in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Night Auditor in Billings, MT

I worked at THG (The Hotel Group) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great PTO program, up to 200 hours after 5 years service. There were initially some GREAT people to work with.

Cons

Upper management no longer appreciates the people who do the work. They used to give decent raises, now they nickel and dime it. Experienced people, with years of service, are forced out or fired outright over fabricated charges. They are frequently replaced by cheap labor from the local pre-release center or by foreign exchange students. I had nine years of service, with a flawless record, but was brought up on slanderous charges right after returning from heart surgery. That was a pattern of theirs over the past three years. Some employees were actually encouraged to make false charges against others just to weed them out. What was once a close team deteriorated into divided factions, and many in top management actively encouraged and participated in this. The corporate office does not seem to care, and anyone who speaks out is targeted, and eliminated.

Advice to Management

Management at the corporate level need to listen to the associates. Don't be so afraid to admit you made a mistake. Managers should be hired based on their qualifications for the job, not just because they are young and cute. Listen to your experienced people, if there are any left. If they have put in several years of service, it probably means they know something about the job. I hope someone listens and changes this company back to the way it once was.

Aug 10, 2016 – E-Marketing Manager

"Low Pay"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

Pros

Great PTO, opportunities to move around within company, opportunities for growth

Cons

Low pay for the amount of work and the expectations. They promote from within very quickly (which is nice for career advancement) but then exploit the lack of experience as an excuse to underpay. From there the only raises you get/are available are very small increases during your annual reviews.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better and don't take advantage of experience levels when promoting from within and you will have higher retention and employee satisfaction

Jun 20, 2016 – E-Marketing Manager

"Bad enviroment"

Pros

Oportunity to work and get stressed for minimum wage

Cons

They over worked with poor salary co workers biting your shoulder and looking at you like a wear animal. Supervisors steping your steps. No tools to work, cheap chemicals to clean. And they expecting the best from you.

Advice to Management

Look for a better payment and tools for housekeepers ir you sea giving 16 to 20 rooms every day.

May 3, 2016 – E-Marketing Manager

"Management"

I worked at THG (The Hotel Group) (More than 8 years)

Pros

Teamwork, power to build my own team, vacation pay 5 weeks,

Cons

low pay, long hours, lack of compassion and GM that plain lies.

Advice to Management

quit sucking

Mar 24, 2016 – E-Marketing Manager

We would appreciate the chance to talk with you further. Please call us at (425) 248-2798.

"Appreciate Employees"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at THG (The Hotel Group) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work at a property THG manages. I appreciate that I have been able to move up quickly at this property and take on more responsibility keeping me challenged in my current position. I enjoy the employee travel program.

Cons

I would like to see someone from THG come in and take more time to really see how management is doing at each property. I started as a desk agent about a year ago and I felt like any suggestions I had or issues I was facing went unheard. Now that I am a supervisor I am really trying to give my employees a voice and make them feel appreciated. Yet I realized the reason I felt I was being unheard was because our supervisors are very overworked (and extremely underpaid I might add). I would like to be able be there for my employees and train and supervise them but I find myself doing a lot of work that has been passed down from my Hotel Manager, who feels that this is alright because I am hourly so I get paid to stay late when she doesn't. (She has said this to me before multiple times.) I do not mind staying late to finish work occasionally, but I feel I am being taken advantage of often. This does not motivate me to continuously and consistently put out my best efforts which creates unease in myself because I pride myself in great quality work. I would like to stay with this Hotel as I feel an attachment to my employees and guests but because I am still being unheard in a job that does not provide me with enough autonomy or appreciation, I'll be looking for a new job at the start of the new year.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they deserve. Let lower level employees (desk agents, kitchen staff, houskeepers) review their supervisors twice a year. Let supervisors review their managers and the GM twice a year. Review the data yourselves and then take it to each properties GM and have a real conversation with them about how they are running their hotel. A lot goes on that THG does not know about and maybe anonymous reviews that are not sent directly to GMs of that property would shed some light on why (at least our property) has very high turnover. Take the time to get to know employees at each property and thank them, it will go a long way. Create some type of an ongoing employee appreciation program mandatory for all properties and focus on retaining great employees. I know everyone feels underpaid and overworked but make employees feel appreciated in other ways if you can't pay them more. I see people going above and beyond daily for guests and other coworkers and their efforts go unrecognized and unappreciated. When I try to recognize someone I am met with unease from stingy management that doesn't understand why I would want to write a thank you card to a coworker or provide them with a free lunch for a job well done...

Dec 8, 2015 – E-Marketing Manager

Thank you for your review. Feel free to contact The Hotel Group Direct so we may assist @ (425) 248-2798

"Over this job"

Pros

Well establish, good brands, decent to above average training

Cons

MANAGERS! They micro-manage, have NO respect for employees work style (was the interview for nothing?) constantly watching over employees shoulders, constantly understaffed, expect top-tier results in the minimum amount of time. Work you like dogs for minimum pay.

Advice to Management

I find is odd that the positive reviews for this company mostly came from managers. Success is a two way street. If you treat your employees better, they will treat your customers better and the company will succeed. Do not try to cut labor costs by understaffing because it will end badly. Do not let senior employees be the managers when mangers are off or have not arrived for work yet. Newer employees (working less than five years) get bullied by senior employees. Also, do not let a manager from another department try and run a department he/she is not familiar with. Management and senior employees need to respect work styles of all employees. Several times I have received lectures by management and senior employees that tell me their way is better. They will not help you when asked, nor will they show you a better way. They just expect you to know. If you do not conform, they make your shift MISERABLE! Lastly, if it was a really busy shift, do not expect employees to have all their work done by the time the shift ends. They will not up and leave and expect the next guy to get stuff done while he/she has to worry about his or her responsibilities.

Nov 15, 2015 – E-Marketing Manager

Hello, We'd like the chance to talk with you and hear more about your current work environment. If you could please contact us at 425-248-2798. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

10. "Senior Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in North Ridgeville, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Manager in North Ridgeville, OH

I worked at THG (The Hotel Group) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone from the higher ranking in corporate down to the line level employees were amazing; a family-like atmosphere. Corporate treated everyone, no matter their position, equally and always remembered people's names. Definitely a "lead by example" company that I was extremely proud to work for!

Cons

The majority of their hotels are located on the west coast, so if you are willing/able to relocate, it's perfect! Otherwise, there is very little room for advancement if you are in the northeast.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do! (and please look at acquiring more properties in the northeast region!

Aug 20, 2015 – E-Marketing Manager

Wow! Thank you for the glowing review! We'll see what we can do about expanding our locations :-) Stay in touch!

"Worst Job I've Ever Had"

Former Employee - Support Staff, Corporate Office in Edmonds, WA
    Former Employee - Support Staff, Corporate Office in Edmonds, WA

I worked at THG (The Hotel Group) full-time

Pros

The pay is above par. Not worth it for what they make you do...

The CEO/President is a great man, great leader

Cons

This company talks a big game about work life balance and the importance of family, but in no way do they practice what they preach. While the company's veterans could maintain the hours of their choosing, the underlings faced ZERO PTO (this is at the corporate level), 11 hour work days (10 or less was a rarity), and micro-"managers" with no respect to individual workflow or work styles

Advice to Management

Don't lie to your prospects during the interview process, and try to see things through the eyes of the new employee

Aug 20, 2015 – E-Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings. Yes, we agree, our CEO is an inspiration to us all. I'd like to discuss your experience further. Please contact me- VP of Human Resources ... More