THINK Together Reviews | Glassdoor

THINK Together Reviews

Updated February 10, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Randy Barth

Pros
  • Getting experience working with kids that I am using now as a substitute teacher (in 26 reviews)

• Working with children in need with educational skills was amazing (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • It seems that many of the Site Coordinators aren't very productive in training their Program Leaders, especially substitute (in 34 reviews)

• It's Part time all the time unless you move up to Site Coordinator (in 30 reviews)

1. "Part time job with full time expectations"

Former Employee - Program Leader in Victorville, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Victorville, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Guaranteed hours, rewarding work with kids

Cons

Low pay, unreasonable expectations, little support from superiors

Advice to Management

Be cognizant that the program leaders are working part time for little pay yet are expected to do the work of higher paid and qualified employees.

"The pay isn't great but the work is rewarding and if you are their as a hobby and love kidsthis could be the job for you"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Covina, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Covina, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The purpose we are there everyday is so fun! I loved the kids and how we impacted their lives daily.

Cons

The pay is bad, they don't care about you as an employee, no one is held accountable for their actions.

Advice to Management

Do a better job hiring staff that is actually qualified along with QACs . SCs are fair. But the QACs are terrible

3. "Program Leader"

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The environment is usually upbeat when everyome gathers. Good energy and motivation to keep going. Your working with kids of almost all ages.

Cons

Pay isnt the best and also Benefits

"Think Together"

Current Employee - Program Leader in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time

Pros

The kids.
    A great experience if you want to be a teacher

Cons

The pay.
    Hours.
    Hardly any training

"Site Coordinator"

I have been working at THINK Together full-time

Pros

Employee Benefits, good hours, if you like working with kids and want to go into teaching this is a great job to have

Cons

Workload vs rate of pay. Doing a lot and always having something new added plus the amount of responsibility you carry. Not enough support for special needs students.

Advice to Management

Have harder employment acceptance rate. Too many new subs or program leaders are inexperienced and need a lot of improvement

"SES Instructor"

I worked at THINK Together part-time

Pros

Working with children in need with educational skills was amazing. It feels great to make a difference in their lives. It was also great forming a strong bond with parents and teachers of students in order to add to a support system that students needed.

Cons

Training was not very thorough. There was many times that lesson planning was up to you and not very guided or specific on what to include. Tests given to student to assess before and after the school year were outdated.

Advice to Management

Take more time to train your instructors, and drop in more often to observe sessions so that a proper evaluation can be given.

"A pleasant program with potentially unfair treatment of their program leader"

Current Employee - Substitute Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

This organization is great if you have a passion for enriching k through 8th students academically. It provides you a great opportunity to experience a classroom setting for the first time (if you aren't yet a teacher) and excellently trains you to be better at supervision. No matter the site and the mood of the day, seeing and developing the kids will bring you good joy in this program.

Cons

It seems that many of the Site Coordinators aren't very productive in training their Program Leaders, especially substitute Program Leaders, and providing them feedback. They tend to be rather laid back and easy , as PL's do much of the work with the Kids. On the other hand, when it comes time for evaluation, they allow their subtle favoritism to be one of their main guides in harshly critiquing their sub-PL's over matters that they themselves aren't necessarily exemplary at either. Mainly speaking, there's a very unrealistic mentality on line-of-sight and monitoring processes: no human can actually watch every single child for every second of every hour they are working, as sometimes, a child or two may run out of sight for even just a few seconds. If one's watching a group of 25 kids, which is the typical load given a PL, he/she can't be expected to see and process EVERY single thing that happens during a given hour, when 10-30 different things are going on at once.

Much of their negative feedback seems based mainly on the fact that they have a low opinion of sub-PL's in general or that they simply don't like the sub-PL that's assigned them. I've been graded down by site coordinators on "classroom management" many times during my evaluation, over minimum issues as

- momentarily missing a trouble maker or two who ran out of my view during "Catch" (the Physical Education portion of the program); it's not like I wasn't watching these kids for 10-20 minutes at a time, which I have seen highly-regarded permanent program leaders do, since I know good and well that that's a safety issue.

- missing a trouble maker who decided to take liberty with using poor language; which a tattle-taling 'victim' may sometimes report to the site Coordinator rather than the sub-PL. (If a PL is managing an entire classroom full of students who are discussing homework, are we truly expected to hear every single conversation that is goes on?)

- not properly getting the students attention with 'attention getters'; children can sometimes be overtly bold and, no matter how 'in position of power' a PL may be, on some days, some children simply won't listen. (Really, what is a sub-PL, who never worked with the students prior, supposed to do after he/she has exhausted all of his options?)

At worst, on my first day of a week-long assignment at a schoolsite, I was even asked by the site coordinator to not return for the rest of my assignment. What happened that day: a boy was hit hard in the crotch during Catch, and I missed who the SPECIFIC perpetrator was; despite the fact that I saw that he was injured at all. (After all, I was the one who informed the site coordinator of the injury I saw to begin with!) She (SC) asked me where my line-of sight over the kids was. While watching the ENTIRE field, my scanning vision at that very moment didn't include the perpetrator. The SC immediately pointed to her permanent Program Leader, Mr. "Jason" (not real name), as a proper role model and stated that he had "line of sight" on the entire field, not just a specific set small region. (Truth: Mr. "Jason" did not see all of his kids at once. I even caught him having his back turned to students more than a few times to speak with other students for minutes at a time; not to mention leaving his students to speak with a parent, at which moment I stepped up to watch HIS kids.) She then pointed that I wasn't keeping the kids well within view distance, as the the kids were very wide spread out on the field; "there's too much going on", she informed me. (She's right there was too much going on; these were Mr. "Jason's" kids under HIS supervision!)

As a sidenote: a few students were hanging out BEHIND a large tree where a PL cannot see them, which was a major flag to me as a Sub-PL. When I confronted them on this obvious safety issue, they informed me that Mr. "Jason" regularly allows them to hang out there. Mr. "Jason" himself confirmed this. This was the program leader who the site coordinator had just previously referred to as having exemplary line-of-site over the entire field.

One can clearly see the favoritism involved.

There have been times when I have caught site coordinators missing view on a child who went to the restroom without permission (line-of-sight issue!) or completely have their backs turned during Catch (much like what permanent PL Mr. "Jason" was doing), while no other permanent PL was watching them; I took firm initiative to watch these kids when available. A sub-PL will hardly get acknowledged for this.

I did everything I can as a responsible employee to ensure a safe and productive program for everyone; I got graded down unnecessarily. I'm overworked with not enough pay to not only manage the kids but then to deal with the petty hassles brought onto me by hypocritical Site Coordinators. This seems to be a common experience for many to most substitute Program Leaders at Think Together.

Advice to Management

- Learn to realize and acknowledged the efforts of your pro-active substitute Program Leaders (whether or not you'd like to admit it, sometimes, we do in fact do most of the work in line-of-sight supervision and classroom management.)

- Realize that we are doing this for little pay!

- Allow us to work more hours (!!)

9. "Okay for a part time job"

Current Employee - Program Leader in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Get to work with kids
    If you get a good SC the job seems less like work
    Get to do fun activities
    Great experience if youre planning on working with kids

Cons

Little hours
    Little pay
    If you have a bad SC work is horrible

"Program and Operations Employee"

I worked at THINK Together full-time

Pros

The mission of the company is great! I loved working for a non-profit and knowing that the efforts impacted the community in a positive way. The colleagues are awesome, skilled, educated, and have a lot to offer the company.

Cons

The company model was very Baby-Boomer in terms of management and company structure. The company cares very much about brand and image. There is no work life balance and the expectations don't match the pay. The goal was never to retain and reward employees or provide performance or cost of living raises.

Advice to Management

Be kind, considerate, and rational when working with employees. Don't penalize people by sending them to HR for asking questions or requesting more explanation or trainings.

"It was a great experience"

I worked at THINK Together part-time

Pros

You get to be around kids

Cons

Not enough hours, and a bit stressful at times

Advice to Management

none, everything is ran smoothly