THINK Together Reviews | Glassdoor

THINK Together Reviews

Updated August 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Your working with kids of almost all ages (in 27 reviews)

• If you enjoy working with children in a school setting, this might be what you are looking for (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard when there is such a high turnover rate and Program leaders are expected to have more students because of (I'm assuming) a lack of substitutes (in 36 reviews)

• Depending on what site you get placed at the site coordinator can be a con (in 33 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Pros

Flexible hours, good cause, real impact

Cons

Slow and menial at times

2. "Lazy Site Coordinator"

Current Employee - Program Leader in Rialto, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Rialto, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time

Pros

Working with children and parents

Cons

unstable hours, did not get paid enough for extreme hard work

Advice to Management

The Site Coordinator is not that great. She is very unprofessional I have never seen anything like this person in my life. I am hoping soon that they will get a better Site Coordinator in this location. There are different Think Together locations in Rialto, CA and they do not necessarily share the same Site Coordinator. The Site Coordinator did not dress appropriate and one day you could see one of her bre*st partially exposed and that is not suitable for children and it was not suitable for me to see that type of trash! She came to work daily with her fake long nails, trash looking clothes, not professional at all. Very low class attitude. Bringing her trashy lifestyle at work around children. I was told she has a husband, men like that seem to take women that no other man wants. Why was she allowed to work there that long with that kind of behavior? A parent came and saw that she was not even helping to watch the children (that IS a witness.) The Site Coordinator told me that she has 2 children, I really feel sorry for them, since this supervisor cannot even be women enough to do her job and watch children then the question, is she watching her own children at home? One day I was basically told that I cannot have a brake, but yet, one time I saw her taking a break and just eating at her desk in the classroom. Most of the time she is lazy and gets paid, wow! I came to work many times and she did not even have a lesson plain ready, she just sat there in the front school office in the mornings. She even disrespected me in front of a child with her loud mouth and insulted me. I SUPPORT ANY WOMEN who is a NICE person in the workforce but this women just gives GOOD women a bad name. I hope soon they will get a better, professional Site Coordinator.

3. "Good College Student Job"

Current Employee - Program Leader in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in San Jose, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you want to gain experience with students K - 8th grade ages.

Cons

Can be difficult to work with kids sometimes. Pay is lower compared to other after school programs in the Bay Area.

Advice to Management

N/A

4. "Operations Analyst"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at THINK Together full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open interaction with other regions to streamline processes. Great team environment. Good feeling helping out the kids.

Cons

Limited budget to keep talent

5. "DO NOT TRUST THE SITE COORDINATOR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rialto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rialto, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time

Pros

Some children are good and will work, help you

Cons

Screwed Up SITE COORDINATOR who should get fired, NO Doubt

Advice to Management

Fire this incompetent loser who seems to know nothing about children and how to treat people employees.

6. "It's a start"

Former Employee - Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to get your foot in the door with education. Part time after school so you can plan a school schedule accordingly. If you can handle the work there can be a lot of gratification in what you do.

Cons

Students can be challenging. High turnover because of this. If you're not placed with a good site coordinator (supervisor) things become exponentially more difficult. I began at a school with a brand new site coordinator and received little to no classroom management help despite the person knowing I was brand new to education. I was evaluated a few times and it was suggested to higher ups that I be let go. I was extremely lucky to be placed at a different school instead with a seasoned site coordinator who then taught me basically everything I know about effective classroom management. Your site coordinator will make all the difference unless you've worked a job like this already.

Advice to Management

At the end of the day, this is a job you have to WANT to do, but there should be more rigorous standards in place for your site coordinators. They make or break the program for the students, the program leaders, and the faculty at that particular school on every level.

7. "Working for THINK Together"

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you enjoy working with children in a school setting, this might be what you are looking for. For young adults the program leader position is a step towards becoming a teacher or working with children in a school setting in any other capacity.

Cons

In recent years the organization has become less and less financially sustainable which has unfortunately created more job stress and company wide down sizing. Salaried positions have diminished to hourly compensation with an ever increasing work load. Unfortunately, site coordinators are over worked and under compensated. That being said, if being able to change the lives of children is your passion, the cons can be put aside for the greater purpose of helping kids.

Advice to Management

Take the concerns of your employees to heart instead of justifying wrong decision making.

8. "New Experience"

I have been working at THINK Together part-time

Pros

Getting to work with the kids

Cons

i really cannot think of much to complain about

9. "Terrible"

Former Employee - Substitute Program Leader
    Former Employee - Substitute Program Leader

I worked at THINK Together part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with children was the best part of the job

Cons

Little hours
    Demanding and intense curriculum
    Site coordinators

Substitute Program Leaders get such a bad reputation but I think it has to do with management and training. I think the program is too demanding and expect too much out of Program Leaders with their strict rules and curriculum. I think I spent most of my time there with my Site Coordinator towering over me, wanting me to yell and correct every single "negative" occurrence. Were working with elementary kids, what do you expect? I do understand that certain actions need to be addressed but it is almost impossible to exhaust myself to meet coordinator's needs. Site coordinators have their "favorites" as far as PLs go and it makes being comfortable in your environment, hard. I was subbing at a school in which their original program leader wasn't "working out" and the coordinator insisted that this said PL did "not like her job" which is why everything was so unorganized. She said this in front of the kids. As a sub PL, I could not "clock in" until regular PLs did so, even if they came in after me. One school I only worked max 1.5 hours and it was just not worth the drive! Another school, I was left to fend for myself while the site coordinator went off-campus to take care of personal business. The PLs at this school complained about their jobs and how they were looking elsewhere, they were young kids interested in drama and turned up their noses when you needed help. We were stuck outside in the cold for over an hour and I had kids crying, saying they just wanted to go home. It was sad. Needless to say, my experience here was not a good one and I left the first opportunity that I could.

Advice to Management

I think Site Coordinators need to show Sub PLs just a little more respect. We are not teachers nor are we "just babysitters". There needs to be some sort of balance where we meet in between. It takes time to get used to a set of 25 kids and for them to get used to you. I had kids daily ask me if I would be their new PL and they hoped so because others made them not want to be in the program anymore. Just goes to show that screaming and yelling does not benefit the kids, so stop training PLs to be drill sergeants.

10. "Volunteer after school tutor"

Pros

The hours allowed to work were flexible as a college student. If you needed time off the program director was nice about it.

Cons

Because it is an after school program in order to build up to 100 hrs of volunteer work it takes an individual longer than if he/she volunteered elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Have a more stable/set curriculum for the volunteers.