THINK Together Reviews | Glassdoor

THINK Together Reviews

Updated July 15, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Your working with kids of almost all ages (in 26 reviews)

• If you enjoy working with children in a school setting, this might be what you are looking for (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Hard when there is such a high turnover rate and Program leaders are expected to have more students because of (I'm assuming) a lack of substitutes (in 37 reviews)

• Depending on what site you get placed at the site coordinator can be a con (in 34 reviews)

"A pleasant program with potentially unfair treatment of their program leader"

Current Employee - Substitute Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Substitute Program Leader in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

This organization is great if you have a passion for enriching k through 8th students academically. It provides you a great opportunity to experience a classroom setting for the first time (if you aren't yet a teacher) and excellently trains you to be better at supervision. No matter the site and the mood of the day, seeing and developing the kids will bring you good joy in this program.

Cons

It seems that many of the Site Coordinators aren't very productive in training their Program Leaders, especially substitute Program Leaders, and providing them feedback. They tend to be rather laid back and easy , as PL's do much of the work with the Kids. On the other hand, when it comes time for evaluation, they allow their subtle favoritism to be one of their main guides in harshly critiquing their sub-PL's over matters that they themselves aren't necessarily exemplary at either. Mainly speaking, there's a very unrealistic mentality on line-of-sight and monitoring processes: no human can actually watch every single child for every second of every hour they are working, as sometimes, a child or two may run out of sight for even just a few seconds. If one's watching a group of 25 kids, which is the typical load given a PL, he/she can't be expected to see and process EVERY single thing that happens during a given hour, when 10-30 different things are going on at once.

Much of their negative feedback seems based mainly on the fact that they have a low opinion of sub-PL's in general or that they simply don't like the sub-PL that's assigned them. I've been graded down by site coordinators on "classroom management" many times during my evaluation, over minimum issues as

- momentarily missing a trouble maker or two who ran out of my view during "Catch" (the Physical Education portion of the program); it's not like I wasn't watching these kids for 10-20 minutes at a time, which I have seen highly-regarded permanent program leaders do, since I know good and well that that's a safety issue.

- missing a trouble maker who decided to take liberty with using poor language; which a tattle-taling 'victim' may sometimes report to the site Coordinator rather than the sub-PL. (If a PL is managing an entire classroom full of students who are discussing homework, are we truly expected to hear every single conversation that is goes on?)

- not properly getting the students attention with 'attention getters'; children can sometimes be overtly bold and, no matter how 'in position of power' a PL may be, on some days, some children simply won't listen. (Really, what is a sub-PL, who never worked with the students prior, supposed to do after he/she has exhausted all of his options?)

At worst, on my first day of a week-long assignment at a schoolsite, I was even asked by the site coordinator to not return for the rest of my assignment. What happened that day: a boy was hit hard in the crotch during Catch, and I missed who the SPECIFIC perpetrator was; despite the fact that I saw that he was injured at all. (After all, I was the one who informed the site coordinator of the injury I saw to begin with!) She (SC) asked me where my line-of sight over the kids was. While watching the ENTIRE field, my scanning vision at that very moment didn't include the perpetrator. The SC immediately pointed to her permanent Program Leader, Mr. "Jason" (not real name), as a proper role model and stated that he had "line of sight" on the entire field, not just a specific set small region. (Truth: Mr. "Jason" did not see all of his kids at once. I even caught him having his back turned to students more than a few times to speak with other students for minutes at a time; not to mention leaving his students to speak with a parent, at which moment I stepped up to watch HIS kids.) She then pointed that I wasn't keeping the kids well within view distance, as the the kids were very wide spread out on the field; "there's too much going on", she informed me. (She's right there was too much going on; these were Mr. "Jason's" kids under HIS supervision!)

As a sidenote: a few students were hanging out BEHIND a large tree where a PL cannot see them, which was a major flag to me as a Sub-PL. When I confronted them on this obvious safety issue, they informed me that Mr. "Jason" regularly allows them to hang out there. Mr. "Jason" himself confirmed this. This was the program leader who the site coordinator had just previously referred to as having exemplary line-of-site over the entire field.

One can clearly see the favoritism involved.

There have been times when I have caught site coordinators missing view on a child who went to the restroom without permission (line-of-sight issue!) or completely have their backs turned during Catch (much like what permanent PL Mr. "Jason" was doing), while no other permanent PL was watching them; I took firm initiative to watch these kids when available. A sub-PL will hardly get acknowledged for this.

I did everything I can as a responsible employee to ensure a safe and productive program for everyone; I got graded down unnecessarily. I'm overworked with not enough pay to not only manage the kids but then to deal with the petty hassles brought onto me by hypocritical Site Coordinators. This seems to be a common experience for many to most substitute Program Leaders at Think Together.

Advice to Management

- Learn to realize and acknowledged the efforts of your pro-active substitute Program Leaders (whether or not you'd like to admit it, sometimes, we do in fact do most of the work in line-of-sight supervision and classroom management.)

- Realize that we are doing this for little pay!

- Allow us to work more hours (!!)

2. "Okay for a part time job"

Current Employee - Program Leader in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Santa Fe Springs, Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Get to work with kids
    If you get a good SC the job seems less like work
    Get to do fun activities
    Great experience if youre planning on working with kids

Cons

Little hours
    Little pay
    If you have a bad SC work is horrible

"Program leader"

Current Employee - Program Leader in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time

Pros

Working with kids
    Set schedule
    Good for college students
    Good enough pay
    Schedule planned for you

Cons

Stressful
    Not enough training
    Site coordinator has favorism
    Coworker poke fun of you
    Ratio

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. I'm sick of the favoritism in this company. And train them better. I was thrown into a class with no idea what to do.

4. "Site Coordinator"

Current Employee - Site Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Site Coordinator in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at THINK Together full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You so feel like you are a part of something big and that you're changing lives.
    I love my staff and coworkers
    There is a lot of support
    The overall vision and mission of the company is powerful

Cons

Our position was reclassified from salary to hourly.
    There are unrealistic expectations made in limited time frames.
    There is a lot of evaluation and accountability, but no rewards for positive reviews.

5. "Program Leader"

Current Employee - Program Leader in Adelanto, CA
    Current Employee - Program Leader in Adelanto, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ideal schedule
    Awesome working condition
    About 20 to 25 hours guaranteed
    Pay is above minimum wage

Cons

Schedule changes depending on supervisor
    Not full-time
    Summers are off without pay

Advice to Management

Figure out a way for employees to be paid over summer.

6. "Create opportunities for all kids to reach their full potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at THINK Together part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Commitment to social mission
    Opportunity to have impact
    Develop skills working with youth

Cons

Limited resources to build organizational capacity
    Changing market

Advice to Management

Maintain organization's mission front and center, continue to foster innovation, fund technology and communication investments

7. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Program Leader in Rialto, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Rialto, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- you make a difference
    - working with children
    - Lots of experience if you plan on being a teacher
    - friendly coworkers

Cons

- not enough pay for the amount of responsibility
    - not a con but YOU MUST KIDS!!!! ( that means you have to be very patient because they will test you every day)
    - not a flexible schedule

8. "Program leader"

Former Employee - Program Leader in Duarte, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Duarte, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get to work with kids
    get allot of vacations

Cons

few hours
    very stressful
    not flexable hours
    l

9. "Wonderful Experience, Horrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Program Leader in Azusa, CA
    Former Employee - Program Leader in Azusa, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your schedule is very consistent which makes planning around school and other events pretty easy. You not only help but you bond with a lot the kids and families that you work with which, in my case, was hands down the best part of the job. You don't have to take any work home which leaves you with little stress after work.

Cons

Leadership has run, at least at my site, a wonderful chance to really make a difference in the children's lives into the ground with poor communication, a lack of interest in advancing employee opportunities, and a disconnect between upper management and the families they say they are there to help. At times the workload is overwhelming because they expect so many things from you in a limited amount of time and they don't bother to properly train you or any staff on new lesson plans or goals for the company to reach.

Advice to Management

Learn to promote their employees from within, not grab under qualified people from outside that don't care about the program or its success!

10. "Program Leader"

Former Employee - Sub PL in Victorville, CA
    Former Employee - Sub PL in Victorville, CA

I worked at THINK Together part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with student that may come from less than ideal circumstances and being a positive role model. Getting experience working with kids that I am using now as a substitute teacher. I honestly did love my job because you build relationship with students. It all depends on what site you get placed at because the site coordinator can make you love or hate your job.

Cons

Depending on what site you get placed at the site coordinator can be a con. My area had a SC that was a lead PL from another school but she definitely didn't have training to be an SC. That site ran off of yelling at students and ultimately made me hate my job and not want to work with the program as a PL anymore.

Advice to Management

Have your QAC do random checks on schools to ensure that Site Coordinators are being positive role models for both students and PLs.