TIAA Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

TIAA President & CEO Roger Ferguson
Roger Ferguson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There are enough teams that are understaffed that complains about non-existing work-life balance are common (in 43 reviews)

• Senior management tries to micromanage everything instead of moving forward (in 36 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Resolution Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Customer Resolution Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TIAA pays a Competitive salary, overall satisfying place to work. The benefits are hands down the best I have seen (i.e. Retirement incentives, matching, health benefits)

Cons

Technology is outdated. TIAA Is making strides to become more modern but this is an endeavor that should have been started years ago. Once the upgrades are complete (in a few years) I'll have little to nothing to complain about

"National Contact Center Consultant- Great Organization as a Whole"

Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at TIAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

TIAA is legitimately the best organization I have worked for. They treat their employees exceptionally well for a large organization. I have worked for several other large financial services companies, mainly large national commercial banks and also two large sporting industry corporations, and TIAA was hands down the best employer of them all. Their pay is far above industry average for similar positions. This is because they aren't publicly traded and aren't beholden to the almighty dollar. They actually care about helping their clients, and empower their employees to do so. I didn't want to leave TIAA- I had to because life circumstances forced me to resign my position. I loved working there, and hope to be an employee there again in the future.

Cons

The same things that are true of all large corporate-like organizations. Career mobility inside can be slow and frustrating (but not always). There are lots of different functioning divisions that aren't well integrated with each other. Sometimes it seemed like it was a lot of different companies and cultures all operating as one large company. They were behind in technology when I got there (being a millenial I am all about tech and efficiency) and at first there were like 25 different programs used in this position, most of which were 5-10 years old or more. However, during the time I was there they did sunset a lot of the older programs and combine functionality into one unified program.It can be difficult for your voice to be heard and obvious things that seem like they should be changed don't. Also lots of older processes and forms, and they are reluctant to move away from them for cost and risk reasons.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the organization into the 21st Century and keep a focus on efficiency. Don't let the corporate culture get vultarized by the need to generate revenue. Keep treating your employees well.

"Financial Services Consultant"

Current Employee - Financial Services Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at TIAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great retirement benefits (company match and pension plan), lots of PTO

Cons

Little flexibility in the NCC to control your schedule. Repetitive work. Too much of a focus on metrics. Micromanaged.

"Ok place"

Current Employee - Senior Service Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Service Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best time off and tuition benefits around comparably.

Cons

Company pays for education but will mostly hire outside candidates. Most managers already know who they plan to hire and won't bat any eye in an interview done only to fulfill diversity requirements. No raises this year but managers who weren't that good to begin with became senior managers or directors.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen to employees. Culture surveys seems to make things worse so employees don't like to participate. Also, employees who have been with the company for more than 8 years should not still be doing entry level work for minimal pay.

"Wealth Manager"

Former Employee - Wealth Management Consultant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Wealth Management Consultant in Denver, CO

I worked at TIAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Retirement Perks, Some nice co workers, I can't think of anything else. I really can't. Not 20 words. Seriously?

Cons

Where to begin- changing work contracts after you sign them, Changing metrics to force an outcome, asking us to do things that don't make sense for the customers. Don't take your vacation, someone on another team might steal business from you while you're away .

Advice to Management

When you ask for feedback, don't retaliate against people who are honest. I notice those people tend to disappear suddenly.

"Financial Services Consultant"

Current Employee - Financial Services Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to advance within role and at company. Management rewards talent and are very hungry for continuous improvement feedback.

Cons

Most positions are fed through the call center and you must finish an 18 month stint to advance. Company can be slow to change, but higher ups are currently working to change this.

Advice to Management

Work to improve company and competitiveness often. When these changes are made communicate why in depth and train on the changes.

7. "4 years"

Current Employee - Client Relationship Consultant- Wealth Management in Denver, CO

I have been working at TIAA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent career development opportunities workplace environment is fun people are friendly and great place to build a career a lot resources to network and meet people within the organization. Leadership is very visible

Cons

Can be challenging if you are not sure where you want to go can lead to feeling stuck with no opportunity to get promoted

Advice to Management

Continue having resources and engagement opportunities with senior leadership

"Don't Be Fooled"

Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Advisor in Denver, CO

I worked at TIAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Paid Time Off better than most

Cons

Don't be fooled by all the glowing, positive reviews--they've probably been planted by the Talent Acquisition team looking for suckers. TIAA has one of the most toxic cultures a company can have. This USED to be a great company to work for--until the last 5 years or so. Then the layoffs started en masse, and nothing has been the same since. I understand that occasionally, layoffs are necessary--but not as a first line of defense against rising expenses, and NOT as a mechanism for giving other people bigger titles and more money to do the same job. EVERY time a layoff is announced, not far behind is an announcement of promotions. So one person loses their job so another person can be "promoted" from Director to Sr. Director to do the same job they had been doing. And the cycle goes on and on--more and more layoffs and more and more promotions, and they wonder why they can't get their expenses under control.

I was with the company for 23 years, so getting laid off with a generous severance package was the best thing that could have happened to me. But the hypocrisy that runs rampant through this company is disgusting.

Oh, and if you're not located in Charlotte, you can forget about the company actually caring about anything that matters to you as an employee. They claim they are "committed to growing in Denver", but 99% of the open positions are posted for Charlotte, which is also where all of the infrastructure money gets spent.

Advice to Management

I don't think any advice I could give would make any bit of difference--clearly Roger Ferguson and the EMT have no problem looking themselves in the mirror, collecting huge bonuses while stepping on the throats of the people who actually do the work.

9. "Senior Director"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Denver, CO

I worked at TIAA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High integrity, excellent salary and benefits, positive work environment.

Cons

Long-standing provider of retirement planning, upgrading old systems

10. "Data analyst"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at TIAA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and great benefits

Cons

Management should interact with employess just a little more

Showing 117 of 1,137 reviews