TIAA Reviews | Glassdoor

Roger Ferguson

1,042 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There are enough teams that are understaffed that complains about non-existing work-life balance are common (in 42 reviews)

• Senior management tries to micromanage everything instead of moving forward (in 36 reviews)

1. "The best ever"

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Pay, benefits, resources, work life balance. Company is growing through acquisitions and vision. Not as much stress as a publicly traded company. Pto

Cons

Nothing too notable. Slow moving and a dinosaur at times. Tiaa does not innovate but rather follows. Infrequent bonuses here

2. "Individual Consultant"

I worked at TIAA full-time

Pros

I got a pay check and health insurance.

Cons

Where do I begin. Micromanaged with multiple daily stat reports ever day. You can take a call where someone asks to roll their money over and you're the star salesman and they fire you the next when your luck runs out. The calls themselves are like root canals. Constantly telling customers they can take their TIAA traditional out over 10 year. You're basically putting out fires all day and then getting scolded by management. In all honesty it took therapy and 2 years of living in isolation to regain mental health. I'd rather go to jail than work one more day for this company.

Advice to Management

Don't ask your employees to perform a job you couldn't do yourselves.

3. "Excellent work environment"

I have been working at TIAA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment as well as helpful collegues.... flexible working hours...good package...

Cons

Less annual leaves and no transportation....
    Nothing much about cons

Advice to Management

No advice to Management

4. "coordinator"

I have been working at TIAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great coworkers. flexible with PTO

Cons

management could improve some. pay

Advice to Management

get new management who knows what they are doing. that simple

"Senior Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TIAA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits, low stress, easy workload. Generally a nice group of people, and meaningful work. Could be interesting if you land on a good team and with a slate of good projects.

Cons

Little innovation, lack of energy, political barriers, management top heavy, difficult to move around internally, environment of fear with recent layoffs and cost cutting.

Advice to Management

Be more accountable for your team's deliverables and failures. Challenge your team's business knowledge and technical capabilities. Encourage and empower your team. Stop hiding from reality and stop lying to yourselves. Apply metrics that matter, not metrics for the sake of metrics. Don't forget how to have fun once in a while and take the team out for a lunch.

"Excellent place..All negative reviews are probably from rejected candidates !"

Pros

Great company and perhaps most ethical one can ever work for in India
    Visionary top and middle management and already have a great performers and exceptional leaders on course who knows what to do and when to do and how to manage.
    Good environment-pay,insurance and location a big plus
    Growing company hence full of opportunities.

Cons

Nothing as such but might be moving bit slow as it is recently started-slight patience is required from all!
    Working on cutting edge new technologies hence people from legacy technology background would have challenges to fit.

Advice to Management

Already doing a great job ..Focus on good reviews and keep doing/implementing best practices.
    The rate at which it grows also requires lot of work from management to match up to other peers in terms of policy making and may need to gear up!

"Come and We will help to ruin your career by paying you more, will ensure that you will become Non Technical"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Analyst in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Analyst in Mumbai (India)

I worked at TIAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Initial Hike what they are providing, I guess now they reduced that one also, apart from this not seeing any

Cons

Management Issues, No Quality Work, Pathetic Monotonous Job, Indian Work Culture is driven by Yes and No from US, No Leadership Qualities

Advice to Management

Please ensure that the talent you are taking from market you make use of it, you can easily get less paid non technical workers

8. "Nice Company"

I have been working at TIAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Salary and fee travel

Cons

Focus should be on management and hierarchy

"Right Captive to work in India"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at TIAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am working at TIAA GBS, Mumbai for 08 months.
    Like Google culture is best in product companies, I find TIAA GBS has best culture in Captive.

My Manager has nearly 60 staffs directly to report to him. He does not have cabin. He works from desk like us.

He speak with everyone in-person, remembers their projects and their deliverables. Also, he himself organizes cross team application demo session in his weekly meeting with us, to give a platform for staffs to showcase their work and others to learn about thos apps

He is also busy managing multiple teams and initiatives. I have seen, everyday so many staffs approach to him at his desk to speak and he immediately stops his work, always smiles at them, asks them to seat, and listens to them, and guides and helps them. I personally learned from observing him how to build rapport and value employees without giving salary raise or rewards.

Recently I had my performance review with him. He set context of open two ways dialogue, explained objective of discussion, and emphasized partnership apporach in resolving issues if any that comes during review. Then, most time, he let me speak starting with my self-appraisal! As always, he was excellent at listening to me, open to different views, and to my surprise he remembered more than me about good deliverables I have contributed in my 08 months here!

He took interest to see what I enjoy at work in addition to my core development work. Then, suggested initiatives in organization where I can meet like minded people and have win-win for myself and at GBS.

He has almost 18 years experiene, twice than my expeirence. However, when speaks with us, he is ground to earth and treats us as important people (not as important subordinates, but as talented human beings). When my wife was not well, he asked me whether I need sometime off to take care of my wife and family.

Cons

None. GBS is new in India location for less than a year. Hence, naturally need sometime to reach its pinnacle.

Advice to Management

Within GBS there are many positive and successes. Stay on the course.

"Great workplace and an enriching career so far"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at TIAA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A great place to innovate and learn. If you keep your ears and eyes open for the right and not the wrong, the firm offers lot of growth as a technologist and an individual.
    - Great people and full filling journey. Employee friendly company that let you manage work life balance. There is a con to it but manageable.
    - The work environment is challenging as well as rewarding ; even though this is the first year of setup there are lot of good projects.
    - You can learn whatever you want. They have tie up with many good online portals like Lynda. You have independence and an opportunity where you can take ownership of the work.
    - Employee friendly.
    - Free night transport
    - Good infrastructure, good management, better pay, best benefits (bouquet of benefits offered are one of the best compared to any other captives in India)
    - A very reputable company to work for

Cons

- The morning transport and the food facilities which are currently provided is below par
    - The other con is there is NO shortage of work. It takes a good while to figure out balancing your life and work unless you are a female employee or already from a banking background.
    - There are no games etc. on the floor. Options like giving access to gym in Godrej or the sports facilities would be really helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep the momentum on. Where there are pros there are cons. It is important to work along together and get the Cons removed.

Showing 1,042 of 1,113 reviews