Cover image for TIAA

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

TIAA Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Oct 9, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 3,100 of over 3K reviews
4.0
79% Recommend to a Friend
90% Approve of CEO

Found 100 of over 3K reviews

4.0
TIAA CEO Thasunda Brown Duckett (no image)
Thasunda Brown Duckett

What people are saying about TIAA

Join the conversation on

Finance

140K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=TIAA~2998
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about TIAA? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with TIAA employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "TIAA offers great benefits and the people that you work with are wonderful.(in 451 reviews)
  • "The only pro I can think of is Work Life Balance is good(in 203 reviews)
  • "Great people and the overall mission of the company to serve those that serve others.(in 169 reviews)
  • "Very good and good pay(in 132 reviews)
  • "Great culture and focus on internal movement(in 107 reviews)
Cons
  • "The management is poor and there is too much dead wood at the company.(in 161 reviews)
  • "Many of the middle managers have been promoted from within by sucking up and are completely uninspired and incompetent leaders.(in 95 reviews)
  • "The technology side of the business does not allow qualified and experienced American minorities to advance into senior leadership roles.(in 49 reviews)
  • "Cronies are brought in by senior management as they believe hey have all the answers.(in 41 reviews)
  • "Poor upper management.(in 32 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of TIAA and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0

Good Flexibility of Working from home/remote location

Oct 25, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible in terms of Work from home or remote location Pays for Retirement Onsite health checkup for FTE

Cons

No gym/recreation center on site

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Datastage Developer-Associate

Feb 19, 2018 - Associate in Mumbai
    Business Outlook

Pros

Well, Have been working here since Dec-2016. Yes, its a new Establishment here in India. However its an Old company in USA. 1. Good Medical and LifeInsurance Policy. 2. Got my first appraisal and hike(was satisfied with it). 3. They have work from Home policy and my manager is work focused and doesn't bother much on my office timings. 4. 8 hrs work day(Not Strict,based on amount of work you have you can leave early) 5. Free Drop facility for all Employees. 6. Bouquet of Benefits is good. 7. Workspace is comfortable and ergonomic. 8. People from US are really great and helpfull. 9. (25 annual + 10 sick leaves is good.)

Cons

1. Work is very adhoc i.e. not necessarily on the technology you were hired for. But this too depends from project to project. 2. Some managers dont have any idea what work their subordinates are doing. 3. They follow the bell curve for appraisal,so even if youve worked hard might not result in a good rating. 4. Many managerial positions are redundant. They don't need so many managers. 5. Cafeteria is expensive and food quality is average.

14 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the TIAA team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good Money but no Direction

Jan 5, 2015 - Project Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is good. The benefits are great!. Many location to work from and they like people working from home. If you are a go getter - you will be noticied.

Cons

Many System problems, not a team environment. Many people are in the wrong position as thus operate in a silo with no new ideas coming in to create improvement.

3 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Mission-driven organization with boundless opportunity but poor HR and heavy bureaucracy

Jun 6, 2015 - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

* The corporate culture is very strong -- people are proud to work here, believe in the mission * Very talented colleagues,much more intellectual and less alpha-male dominated than other financial services organizations * Quickly evolving means lots of opportunities to contribute * Very flexible work arrangements * Outstanding benefits, especially retirement plans * Collaborative, friendly environment * Strong commitment to diversity * Premium on work-life balance

Cons

* HR here is a nightmare and that seems to be a fact of life. They are constantly requiring managers to jump through hoops for very basic things, getting new staff on board is a real challenge when you have to work through their bureaucratic processes,there is constant pressure to rein in bonuses and salaries and HR seems obtuse to the realities of the market (and if I am forced to reduce salaries/bonuses to meet revenue targets I will lose some fantastic employees to our competitors). And HR seems completely dense to what the market really would reward, especially in corporate functions * The bureaucracy here for employees can be really grating. Not sure if anyone is trying to cut through the red tape but it's everywhere and enormously frustrating, slows me down all the time in my job. * For the largest owner of commercial real estate in the US, the office space is not attractive. It's embarrassing actually, HQ looks like a government office building (ugly carpets and furniture), not a Fortune 100 financial services company. And they are always pushing people to work from home (getting a desk in NY is a huge challenge for instance).

10 people found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Financial Analyst

Jun 14, 2012 - Financial Analyst in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been with TIAA CREF for 14 months. In the time I've been here, I've seen a Senior get promoted to a Manager and a Financial Analyst 2 get promoted to a Senior. I have also seen 4 people in my area apply for and get jobs in other, non-related, areas of the company. So I would say that career advancement, in whatever form you're thinking of, is available. My starting salary was $62k, which is competitive in the marketplace. There is a great benefits package, including great insurance options, FSA Childcare Reimursement, Health Care Savings, 5% automatic infusion into employees 401k plan, and an additional matching of 3% more for a total of 8% annually contributed by the employer. There is an onsite wellness center with doctors and nurses, which only cost $5.00 to visit. TIAA will pay for your 1st Master's Degree as long as it supports the line of work you're in. There are many more benefits as well. Different groups have different abilities to work from home. My group is very flexible and I work from home at least two days every week. However, my next door cube mate at work is in a different group/area, and they are approved to work from home no more than once a month, and even then the management frowns upon it. So different areas are different, and I guess the individual experience all depends on the area. Also, it is very easy to talk to and deal with management. It is more of a friendly co-worker relationship than a hierarchy that is unreachable by the entry level workers. From the bottom to the top, everyone is very approachable and friendly. Very nice atmosphere. Overall, I would say that I am very pleased at TIAA. I feel like I am well compensated, have a good work life balance, the opportunity for advancement, etc.

Cons

The only con I have seen so far is that when I was hired, I was told that the yearly bonus was typically 10-20% of salary. However, when my first bonus year rolled around, my bonus was around 5%. I was told that new employees who were not there an entire year were treated differently when allocating the bonus pool, and that the next year should be on track with what I was told when I interviewed.

7 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

May 24, 2017 - Compliance Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, great work life balance, opportunities to work from home, development opportunities, stellar retirement benefits, good maternity leave program

Cons

I honestly do not have any. The company has been so good to me. The only challenge I have is finding networking opportunities if you work from home full time.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  8. 1.0
    Current Employee

Not the same company anymore

Mar 22, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cool people, team oriented, customer focused.

Cons

Poorly executed cancellation of their work from home program which has impacted thousands of employees. Will take many years for leadership to gain the trust back from their employees.

23 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Ready for a change

Feb 9, 2013 - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedules and ability to work from home

Cons

Systems still archaic (ex: still using IE6) Clueless middle management Opportunities for advancement/transparency

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 3.0
    Current Employee

Too much change all at once......

Sep 26, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Large Company Pay Various locations Employees are smart Strong presence in the market place

Cons

Limited growth opportunity No longer able to work from home Too many changes in management Inconsistent messaging to employees

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

No longer different, no longer distinct

Aug 5, 2019 - Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Very nice campus.

Cons

Senior management is no longer trustworthy, no longer operating within our 100-year-old values, and no longer different in any material way from other Wall St. firms. These guys just announced new smart windows in the NY City office the same day they admitted more job cuts were coming. They said ending work from home was not a workforce reduction strategy but now have admitted most of those people will not be replaced. AND, by the way, there is a hiring freeze in place. This happens at TIAA about every 18 months now. So if you want a job where you can virtually NEVER stop worrying about being laid-off, TIAA is the place to be. In addition, the criteria for promotions is radically subjective. No rhyme or reason involved.

24 people found this review helpful