TIBCO Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TIBCO Software CEO Murray Rode
Murray Rode

Pros
  • Work life balance is extremely good (in 72 reviews)

• Work from home option available (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Reason for good work life balance is there is no cler direction resulting in chaos--you will NOT feel good about your day-to-day (in 22 reviews)

• Senior management need to plan things better (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best place to start your career."

Current Employee - Associate Member of Technical Staff in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Member of Technical Staff in Pune (India)

I have been working at TIBCO Software (More than a year)

Pros

1) Work Environment.
    2) Work/life Balance.
    3) Great teams to work with.
    4) Goal centric working.

Cons

Nothing as of now. No issues at all.

Advice to Management

Please provide some training for the products to the freshers.

2. "Named Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are a self starter it can be a very rewarding sales job. I have been here for 16 years and it has been a great run. You can build your own franchise.

Cons

A bit more process added since being acquired by Vista. Salesforce has become a bit bloated but still does not take too much time. Increase marketing spend.

Advice to Management

Provide some equity for top performers.

3. "Sr Product Support Specialist"

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time

Pros

Employee friendly, flexible working hours and good co-workers

Cons

Salary, benefits, perks, opportunity and growth

Advice to Management

Change your benefits and salary structure being a Silicon Valley firm

5. "Sales at TIBCO"

Current Employee - Sr. Account Executive
    Current Employee - Sr. Account Executive

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full stack of software products
    Lots of customers across multiple industries
    Smart people
    Good roadmap to digital

Cons

Lack of continuity between different sales teams
    Company legacy of on-premise software and perpetual licensing
    Lack of functionality in my specific product line

6. "A challenging, but rewarding, position"

Current Employee - RVP, Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - RVP, Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TIBCO really is a place where you can run your own business within the Vista owned mothership. That is a good thing! Lots of freedom to innovate and think outside of the box. It's a great environment to grow professionally, and take on more responsibilities and expand your role.

Cons

The squeaky wheel gets the oil - you have an opportunity to be part of something great, but you have to go and get it. Nothing will be spoon fed.

Advice to Management

Communication is key, and we have seen great improvements in this area. Monthly management meetings are great.

7. "Place with a dying soul"

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great technology
    - Smart and likeable co-workers

Cons

- Out of sync with market needs
    - Product quality issues
    - Top management in disarray and no real blueprint for success

Advice to Management

Get some diverse perspectives in the boardroom, seek feedback from employees & customers, and above all, do some basic market research to know what should be your key focus

8. "Continues to Improve and Innovate"

Current Employee - Field Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Field Marketing in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The companies has improved by leaps and bounds over the last 2 years since I started. Systems, data, marketing, and sales have become incredibly strategic under re-focused leadership.

TIBCO has made intelligent product acquisitions and is headed in the right direction. Leadership has focused a lot on hiring young people with high potential to succeed, which is one of the main reasons for the turn-around.

This is a great mid-sized company to work for and I'd recommend it for anyone fresh out of college as well as seasoned professionals.

Cons

Some senior team members (but no higher than manager level) are rewarded based on years rather than skill.

Advice to Management

Involve your lower level employees more when making a new hire.

"I miss my TIBCO"

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

TIBCO at one time had what was probably among the most innovative culture that I've ever seen in my career. The engineering teams were world class and energetic. The sales teams rocked. There was a general feeling of being valued, success was celebrated jointly and failure was not a reason to start a blame game. The ability to be seen as more than a "messaging" or "integration" company was born in the mid-2000's. The collaboration between engineering, consulting and sales, while not structured and perfect, worked very well. Arguably, we could have had more field exposure to our engineers who sometimes looked like they were in ivory towers, but hey, if I had a few hundred million dollars and could start again, sure I'd fix that :-)

If I had to pick a single factor as a positive, it would be the atmosphere of openness, honesty and self-criticism that existed. People would write emails about how some of our stuff sucked and how it could be fixed and there were some very interesting email discussions around topics.

The one other thing that is still a positive is the amount of belief that people who are still with TIBCO have in the company. It takes a lot to shake the foundations of faith and the fact that there are still so many veterans in TIBCO attests to that fact.

Cons

We lost our way in the early 2010's when we chased every buzzword there was at that time. The culture of heroism that help propel TIBCO to heights turned out to be a millstone around its neck. Heroes were recognized, rewarded and held up as worth of emulation. Team players started feeling a little disgruntled and the whispers and murmurs started. Some key initiatives did not result in expected benefits and one thing led to another and we went private in December 2014. Post that, it's been a roller coaster ride with very little idea of when and where the next twist, turn or tumble is going to come from. There are some very genuine attempts being made to fix things but credibility is taking a hit both internally and externally. Some of the newer approaches to our products are credible and come with a sincere intention to refocus the company and take it back and beyond where it used to be. But there are significant challenges by way of morale, sales, management changes, and the pressure of showing regular returns to investors.

Conversely, if there was one single negative aspect that I was to highlight, it is the fact that internal debate and self-criticism has practically shut down in parts of the organization. People are no longer confident about voicing their real opinion and toeing the party line is the norm. Those who did not believe in the vision have quit already. Those who believe and yet have ideas or differing opinions are not speaking up. Friday town halls (online) are great but are now starting to appear as propaganda channels that are to be heard under duress.

Advice to Management

While we did lose some talented colleagues, those who've stayed are the ones that are sticking to your vision (unless you want to believe that they have no other option). Reach out to the experienced folks that are still around and see if they have inputs. Unless we restore that spirit of innovation and free thinking that was the hallmark of TIBCO, we run the risk of becoming just a Wikipedia entry. Technology landscape changes every few years and we will always have to be agile and responsive to our customers, but the key qualities required for a successful software product/solutions company do not change fundamentally.

The pendulum seems to be swinging from the not-invented-here mode of thinking that was prevalent for a while to everything-invented-here-is-no-good. If you are bringing in senior management from outside, see if you can have them interviewed by a larger team (including their reports) and take feedback seriously. In times of trouble, everyone appears to be a savior but we really need to vet them out. A lot of decision makers who do not have a grasp of the past culture and believe that they know best are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. This is not a personal attack -- it just does not seem that they got a chance to understand our culture or that assessing personality and the cultural fit was a part of the hiring process.

A year ago I would have bet a lot of money that we would be back where we were (in a good way) but right now I would hold my bets.

"TIBCO is a mixed bag..."

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomy to manage your daily tasks, responsibilities and personal life
    Great place to grow your skill set and expand your expertise across the integration space
    Flexible PTO: Within reason, and assuming you're on top of your work tasks and commitments
    Hearing great stuff about TIBCO in the latest Forrester Wave on Enterprise Insight Platform Suites

Cons

Communication from management is often less than great, vague or generally not helpful
    Increasingly becoming a culture where everything is about the bottom line: There is nothing wrong with a company focused on making a profit, but when you start to sacrifice employee moral for this something has gone wrong.
    Zero guidance or visibility from HR and Management about career paths and growth.
    Diminishing benefits: Health care costs going up with less coverage, No paternity policy

11. "Review title"

I have been working at TIBCO Software full-time

Pros

This is the pros the pros pros great company great boss great products. Fun

Cons

The bads. It's a job. It has a management team. It's staffed by humans and you get to make no significant choices for the products.