TJ Maxx Reviews | Glassdoor

1,869 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,869 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • YOU HAVE TO SELL A CREDIT CARD AND THEY WON'T TELL YOU THIS UNTIL AFTER THEY HAVE HIRED YOU (in 133 reviews)

• Even after being promoted, you barely get above minimum wage (in 101 reviews)

"Promote qualified associates to better paying positions and stop keeping them at sales associate."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours which fits my school schedule. The company is opening new locations.

Cons

Too much work assigned to associates. Demand on associates is too high. Can be stressful dealing with managers and customers. Rare opportunity for upward mobility. Associates have only 10% discount(too small). Too much dependence on managers to groom and promote associates, so most managers don't promote associates even if they are qualified or deserve it.

Advice to Management

-Most part-time associates are in school and would love to work professionally for the company for salaries.Vacant positions should be advertised in-store and on a website for associates to know first before the public.
    -If associates move from sales representative to corporate positions, it will boost morale and people will be more committed.

2. "Great people, but extremely disorganized"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Carlos, CA

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great prices on merchandise, first pick for new products, nice management and staff

Cons

The store can often be extremely disorganized, high turnover rate for employees, can be an extremely high-stress environment due to lack of employees, low pay

Advice to Management

Better employee training and higher pay

"Good for experience but not for long term."

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Massena, NY
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Massena, NY

I worked at TJ Maxx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a 10% discount on every day of the week and they do 20% weekends every few months. If you're full time, you get full benefits after a year of being full time I.e. Health, dental and eye insurance, life insurance, 401K, and holiday pay. They do luncheons in rewards for meeting credit app goals and charity goals too.

Cons

A lot of hard work for very little reward. There's no commission. You have a very hard time having a life outside of work due to the crazy scheduling they do since you have to have open availability as a full timer. And when you try to leave for another job, they try to make you feel like you have more opportunities to advance you but you never will.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates. A lot of us work so very hard and it isn't good enough but the slackers get away with everything.

"It was extremely friendly and a great experience."

Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Humble, TX
    Current Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Humble, TX

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discounts, friendly customers and staff! I enjoyed the environment most of the time, especially the customers it made my days easier and go by fast.

Cons

You hardly get hours if you're part time, and it's hard to ask for more if you're needing them. It's a good start off job but nothing to be full time for

6. "insulting"

Current Employee - Backroom Associate Sales Floor Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time

Pros

sometimes friendly co workers?

Cons

coordinators insult you, managers dont manage, no hours, favorites, little pay, hours arent flexible, full time isnt an option, no benefits, no where to move up.

Advice to Management

hours are a big problem, schedule the hours evenly so there are no complaints of having 20 hours one week and 10 the next

7. "Cashier"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Columbia, MD

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people and flexible hours

Cons

The pay and not treating people farely better then other. Should be equal for everyone

"Ok start ,but hoping to move up but chances are low from this management ."

Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Merchandise/Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love being able to walk a lot this is the job ! I've lost a good amount of weight from this and I'm proud ! But overall you learn a lot about this job and it's merchandise as well . Lots of unique nic nacs especially the home department !

Cons

A lot of the times all this company cares about is getting credit credit .. and credit . Also security for tjmax is terrible . Lots of theft that goes unseen . Also registers need a little bit of a upgrade ! To be more convenient for the customers.

Advice to Management

The managers at tjmax are alright I guess well most of them . I've had bad experiences with a few and all of them weren't my fault . I mean you got one that yells over the littlest things possible and does not know how to communicate with associates at all . Also known as verbal abuse . Sometimes I feel like I have to be a customer to get some respect from this place .

9. "It's so, so"

Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in San Ysidro, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Associate in San Ysidro, CA

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time

Pros

A lot of the people are nice. Love the atmosphere of working in the store because there are so many nice things.

Cons

I'm in agreement with a previous review that some employees have a snarky attitude. If you work in dressing room, it is grueling, and they don't provide back-up (if it is really busy).

Advice to Management

Should do a better job of training. I felt my training was not that great.

10. "like working here"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Austell, GA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Austell, GA

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility, place to grow and fun

Cons

n/a, nothing really just some long hours of work during season peaks

Advice to Management

love the opportunities to grow

11. "Associates"

Current Employee - Receiving in Langhorne, PA
    Current Employee - Receiving in Langhorne, PA

I have been working at TJ Maxx (More than 3 years)

Pros

We have favoritism in the store, Nothing is getting done about it. We lose a lot of good people because of some of the managers we have or had. I don't want my name bought up.

Cons

some one needs to talk to the managers there. Some people see what is going on. few people said something to talk to the managers or HR.

Advice to Management

Please don't be favoritism to people you work with. It's not far for other people that work there. we should be treat all the same.

Showing 1,869 of 1,881 reviews