TJ Maxx Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2,222 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • very strick on credit card inquires (in 176 reviews)

• It is just above minimum wage in earnings, so putting in a lot of hours at work does not make for an enormous paycheck (in 105 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Sales in Albemarle, NC
    Current Employee - Sales in Albemarle, NC

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time

Pros

Pay
    Hard work is recognized
    Always doing something different
    Headsets/walkie talkies

Cons

Weekly pay
    Change of hours during holiday season
    Lots to remember

Advice to Management

I love all of my managers and they recognize hardwork and are very understanding

2. "Micromanagement at its Worst"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Boston, MA

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most coworkers who aren't managers and some entry level supervisors are hard workers and good people. Decent break room with good lighting.

Cons

Everything else. You are watched like a hawk. Managers and supervisors whisper the whereabouts of employees on BREAK through the "walkie." Every bathroom break is noted. If cashiering, you take returns on underwear, bathing suits, earrings and beauty products which are put back on the floor for sale. Few items are damaged out. Long term employees are afraid of losing their job and management knows this so there are many not so veiled threats given. Management gossips about employees in break room in front of other employees. Managers and the admins are too comfortable being nasty to the employees. Store is very dusty. Customers act like they're shopping a high end store but they need to remember they are purchasing a bunch of lot sale closeouts.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Treat your employees with respect and the store will run better. Trust the employees that you know handle their jobs well. Allow workers to cross train which will help when people call out. Reinforce the positive instead of looking for the negative all the time. Could be a good place to work but the managers abuse their power.

3. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Coordinator
    Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at TJ Maxx full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work is noticed, you get promoted if you do well, 20 % off every two months especially before a holiday

Cons

Trying to bust down the lines when the store is busy, shortage of staff

4. "Catch more good employees"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Willing to hire diverse staff. Open long hours so positions open, female management, fun customers

Cons

Low pay. , only employee benefit a cheap 10% off. No differential pay after 9pm , Sundays , only 15 minutes break for a 5 1/2 hour shift, Four managers and none communicate with each other. One manager is a sarcastic bully and higher management just ignores staff concerns and complaints, not enough incentive or reward in successfully enrolling credit card members, miserly pay raises, no incentive for taking someone else’s shifts. No tolerance for diversity in staff even tho diverse staff is hired..,first fired. Suggestions in suggestion box never read or commented on

Advice to Management

Provide coffee all day long invest in good office system no time to make even a Kerig in 15 minute breaks. Raise minimum wage to $15 anhour. Only allow supportive positive statements to be said over headsets. Concerns are directed to individual. Read suggestion box notes and respond

"Dreaded Going To Work Everyday"

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I worked at TJ Maxx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed helping the customers. Most of the coworkers were fun to work with. I loved getting paid every Friday and being in my “favorite” store even if I did spend too much money on payday.

Cons

Where do I start. Too many time intensive and detail orientated projects given at one time with not enough time to finish them all. If they need you in he register to ring up customers then you have to drop your project and go. You can spend hours on a register at a time because there’s never enough employees. Then you get written up and told you have bad time management if you don’t get all those projects done before your shift is over. There’s no overtime available to just work on the projects without being used for the registers as well. Actually there’s no overtime at all available. To be eligible for benefits you have to work at least 30 hours a week for three months. I would always get shorted one week out the three months so that I never was eligible for the benefits. I disposed pushing credit cards on people. Most of them already have it if they want it. I hate that you get yelled at if you do get enough people to sign up for a credit card. The company doesn’t care that certain employees get people to sign up fraudulently by calling it a discount card and won’t tell them it’s a credit card. The micromanaging mangers that give you only a certain amount of time to accomplish a task such as 5 minutes per rack or 20 minutes to get 4 full tubs of merchandise out is ridiculous and setting me up for failure because I will undoubtedly be called to ring or have to do a price check or other task at the same time.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and don’t put so many jobs on them at once. Realize that we are ALWAYS short staffed and that one person trying to do the job of five others isn’t going to give you the results you want.

6. "Crappy."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at TJ Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They’re pretty lax on dress code...around the holidays they buy a lot of food and cater for the employees and such. I’ve worked there for a bit over a year and never been drug tested.

Cons

Scheduling is awful. You either get overworked or no hours. I’m part time but I’m averaging 10 hours a week (2 days, ~4 hour shifts) despite having minimum 5 hours of availability every day.
    Communication over policy and stuff is not great. For a long time no one even knew if our fitting room had a limit, if it was optional, or if it was 10 items.

Advice to Management

Better communication with your employees.

7. "It's fun for a while, but get out when you can."

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My store managers were very flexible about scheduling so long as you were a good employee who worked hard and weren't horrifically irresponsible. I loved my coworkers and regular customers.

Cons

It always sucks to be the new kid, but this varies. Like in any retail setting staffed by mainly high school and college-aged kids, it can be clique-y. Discount wasn't amazing, but the items are already significantly discounted. Holiday season is hell on ice. Too many people were allowed to keep their jobs despite being mediocre at best.

Advice to Management

Stay supportive of your people and keep taking pride in your work.

8. "Alright at first, but went downhill after."

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate in Fairfax, VA

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-flexible schedules
    -some nice and friendly coworkers
    -good work experience for anyone interested in part-time jobs in retail
    -employee discounts (although it's only 10% on top of measly pay)

Cons

-disorganized
    -rude and apathetic managers and coordinators
    -short breaks (i.e.: 15 min for ~5 hrs)
    -your hard work is often unrecognized or will be placed under the name of another coworker
    -feels disjointed rather than teamwork
    -tjx rewards needed to be registered daily is remarkable... most regular customers have already applied and do not want to be asked about it a million times--perhaps increase benefits/discounts to intrigue more to sign up

Advice to Management

Be kind and understanding to your employees, spend more time with employees (surveys, meetings, etc.), and properly train employees rather than leaving them blind in the dark. Also, some in management seem to suffer from ageism and racism, but that could just be this area rather than the TJ Maxx company as a whole.

9. "Good other than the credit card sign ups"

I worked at TJ Maxx part-time

Pros

The co workers were great

Cons

They pushed hard to sign people up for credit cards

"Operations manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at TJ Maxx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Upper management is kind

Cons

Part-time associates ca be rough to manage at times.

Showing 2,222 of 2,239 reviews