TJX Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

1,315 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,315 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance non existent especially in New York (in 31 reviews)

• For a struggling college student, not being able to get full time, I couldn't afford to go to school with the amount of hours I was given (in 49 reviews)

1. "Loss prevention"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Detective in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers. Good Benifit. Flexible schedule . Get pay travel. Get to travel around Bay area and helping many stores

Cons

Low pay. sales associates are not very good or professional . They would sometimes not motivated due to low pay and moral is low as well

2. "Graphic Designer"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Framingham, MA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, work-life balance, team oriented

Cons

Difficult to get promoted, pay (depending on position)

3. "Loss prevention training specialist"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Training Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Training Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for growth. Flexible hours.

Cons

Traveling can become an issue.

"IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance is pretty good most of the time. TJX is definitely a 9-5 place. People are pretty friendly most of the time. Marlborough is a nice office location.

Cons

The pay in IT is awful, and the benefits aren't great either. Also, even as an experienced employee, you start with only 2 weeks of vacation. The 10% discount is ok, but it doesn't work online. Health insurance is pretty cut rate.

IT is in a bad spot. There are a ton of lifers here who have just been treading water for decades now. Nothing gets done without an enormous amount of money and time. I've never seen an organization that put so much money into IT and got so little out of it.

Since there are so many long term employees clogging everything up, not only can you not get anything done, but there are no opportunities for advancement.

Half the IT organization is just trading water until retirement, while the other half is mostly contractors or the revolving door of talent that won't stay here.

Advice to Management

You aren't going to find IT talent at these pay rates, or with these benefits. Also, younger people don't last long in IT here, since there is no momentum. The re-org was good, but not enough...

"Customer service coordinator"

Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Coordinator in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well
    Easy work
    10% discount
    Nice coworkers

Cons

The credit card. They will threaten to write you up for not meeting goals, they mention it every hour, half the customers have it but don't use it becuase it's not a great credit card to use.
    The managers at my store don't seem to care one bit about any above and beyond work you do UNLESS it's about you getting a credit card. I would quit but no where else would pay me the same.

Advice to Management

You don't acknowledge your employees for good work. All I've ever heard you praise anyone about was the credit card.

"No career growth opportunities..."

Current Employee - Information Security in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Information Security in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a good work life balance. Nice office buildings and location with free parking. The people are friendly and willing to help you navigate the culture.

Cons

No advancement opportunity. No room for career growth. They need to value the talent they have in house before it is gone.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and retain you talent.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in North Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Store Manager in North Charleston, SC

Pros

Best work - life balance in retail. No playing the up and down game with pricing, this eliminates a lot of workload.

Cons

No correlation of incoming receipts with payroll budget. Otherwise, the standard retail downsides.

"Review Marshall's"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tyler, TX

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Creative liberty when merchandising along certain guidelines; outlet store so no we can't find that same shirt in a different size in the back

Cons

Out of date technology and systems; cheap company

Advice to Management

Need loss prevention at all times. Associates can't do anything even when someone is caught shoplifting

"Loved working here!"

Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Framingham, MA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive, knowledgeable people
    Great working hours (they encourage you to go home at the end of the day!)
    Good work/life balance
    Lots of advancement opportunities
    Great environment / awesome building
    Company with a heart, which is unusual

Cons

Buyers are treated like gods = big egos sometimes
    Mostly female workforce (prefer balance)
    Small employee discount
    Traffic in the Framingham area

Advice to Management

Don't allow egos to go unchecked. You don't have to beat everyone down to get what you need, kindness goes further.

"Planning & Allocation - Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Planning in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Planning in Boston, MA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company itself is stable with year over year positive growth. Guaranteed health benefits . I have nothing left to write but must hit a 20 word minimum to submit this

Cons

Unfortunately TJX was one of the most
    Horrific work experiences I have ever gone through. The planning department is like working in a sorority but with "adults" , often with children managing children (not just in the age sense. Often times more "mature " managers act out in childish ways such gossiping about members of their team to other members of their team and employing the silent treatment to subordinates when upset). I endured two years of mental anguish at this company, left to feel incompetent and as a misfit though often dubbed with the excuse of not having the right "personal brand" to fit in with my team. This phrase is used often and is employed to ensure that the P&A environment caters to exactly the type of employee they are looking for with no diversification - white, female, vapid , with a penchant for gossip and immaturity . The revolving door of employees that go through this department Is not only what I would assume to be extremely detrimental to the company but also somehow a "non issue" as this is something that management refuses to have addressed . Before starting at TJX, I had received several warnings from peers that had heard similar horror stories from the company but I did not pay attention, believing that such a well respected organization in our community could not possibly have this sort of reputation behind closed doors. I implore you, for your own sake, to go elsewhere when looking for a job .

Advice to Management

Seek diversity in your hiring - this is the most one dimensional company I have ever worked for with each person a carbon copy of each other. Any space for thought or personality diversity is shut down as a "personal brand" conflict that is used against you in reviews. Thought diversification is what keeps a company growing and relevant.

Showing 1,315 of 1,385 reviews