TJX Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

1,317 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,317 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance non existent especially in New York (in 31 reviews)

• For a struggling college student, not being able to get full time, I couldn't afford to go to school with the amount of hours I was given (in 49 reviews)

"Loved working here!"

Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Product Manager in Framingham, MA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive, knowledgeable people
    Great working hours (they encourage you to go home at the end of the day!)
    Good work/life balance
    Lots of advancement opportunities
    Great environment / awesome building
    Company with a heart, which is unusual

Cons

Buyers are treated like gods = big egos sometimes
    Mostly female workforce (prefer balance)
    Small employee discount
    Traffic in the Framingham area

Advice to Management

Don't allow egos to go unchecked. You don't have to beat everyone down to get what you need, kindness goes further.

"Planning & Allocation - Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Planning in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Planning in Boston, MA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company itself is stable with year over year positive growth. Guaranteed health benefits . I have nothing left to write but must hit a 20 word minimum to submit this

Cons

Unfortunately TJX was one of the most
    Horrific work experiences I have ever gone through. The planning department is like working in a sorority but with "adults" , often with children managing children (not just in the age sense. Often times more "mature " managers act out in childish ways such gossiping about members of their team to other members of their team and employing the silent treatment to subordinates when upset). I endured two years of mental anguish at this company, left to feel incompetent and as a misfit though often dubbed with the excuse of not having the right "personal brand" to fit in with my team. This phrase is used often and is employed to ensure that the P&A environment caters to exactly the type of employee they are looking for with no diversification - white, female, vapid , with a penchant for gossip and immaturity . The revolving door of employees that go through this department Is not only what I would assume to be extremely detrimental to the company but also somehow a "non issue" as this is something that management refuses to have addressed . Before starting at TJX, I had received several warnings from peers that had heard similar horror stories from the company but I did not pay attention, believing that such a well respected organization in our community could not possibly have this sort of reputation behind closed doors. I implore you, for your own sake, to go elsewhere when looking for a job .

Advice to Management

Seek diversity in your hiring - this is the most one dimensional company I have ever worked for with each person a carbon copy of each other. Any space for thought or personality diversity is shut down as a "personal brand" conflict that is used against you in reviews. Thought diversification is what keeps a company growing and relevant.

3. "Interview in Torrance at # 114"

Current Employee - Cashier in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Torrance, CA

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule
    good environment
    seniors help juniors
    good management

Cons

more work less employees
    need more workers to hire

4. "Great benefits"

Former Employee - Order Selector in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Order Selector in Decatur, GA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has awesome benefits and Union Board

Cons

The Supervisors and most of the associates including the AOM's seems to be rude and unprofessional you have to have tough skin to work there it's no such thing as to yourself because you work off production so it's always tension... It's a shame because with better team leaders it could be a all around great job but it pays

Advice to Management

ENCOURAGE YOUR TEAM.... TREAT THEM MORE LIKE HUMAN BEINGS IT'S HARD WORKING UNDER A IRON ROD HAPPY ASSOCIATES WORK BETTER

5. "Working at Marshall's"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay
    Easy work
    Associate discount days
    Easily hired- they'll literally hire anyone

Cons

Low hours- after the holidays you're left with one day a week/ 4 hr shift.
    Being pulled many ways during one shift because of the lack of associates on sales floor.
    Management has bad communication skills
    Forced to meet a TJX credit card quota for the day if you don't meet it, you're looked down apon

Advice to Management

Give credit where it's due. Also, it's 2017.. people don't want any credit cards or debt so why are WE shunhed for not meeting the daily/weekly/monthly quota? After we do put in hard sweat and tears (practically begging) to get TJX cards, managers get a bonus and we get a lousy pizza "party". Really?

6. "Lead loss prevention detective"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Lead Detective in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Lead Detective in New York, NY

I have been working at TJX Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great to work as a team

Cons

No career advancement, very poor development of associates

7. "Sales associate"

Former Employee - TJMaxx Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - TJMaxx Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Able to interact with customers about the products help them with choices

Cons

Staff low so it was a lot task piling up for small pay

Advice to Management

Just need a set time and weekly pay if not it's ok I just want to help out as much I can I'm a team player my job is make sure the company is presentable for the customer

8. "Sales floor associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company. They work around a college schedule, and whatever else life throws your way.

Cons

For a struggling college student, not being able to get full time, I couldn't afford to go to school with the amount of hours I was given.

Advice to Management

Listen and be there for your employees. Life happens and things get hard. Being a little more emotionally connected, or sympathetic aND have good communication about an employees helpful options would do some good.

9. "Good First Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Athens, GA

I have been working at TJX Companies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have extremely flexible hours since it's in Athens, a college town. All of my co-workers are friendly and I get along with them.

Cons

If you aren't use to being on your feet for extended periods of time, it can be rough. During busy/hectic hours the management can be a little rude (to associates, not customers).

Advice to Management

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"Senior Business Analyst - IT"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Marlborough, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Marlborough, MA

I worked at TJX Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some departments and select managers who know how to manage individuals and their teams. These folks are great, but unfortunately not part of the norm, especially if they have been long-time TJX employees.

Cons

The IT organization needs to grow up. Quite possibly one of the most immature and inefficient IT organizations I have ever been a part of in over 20 years. This includes start-ups, world renown financial services firms, and boutique cutting edge science technology. It seems as if the primary objective of senior management is to protect their bonuses and jobs and not really deliver anything of value to the business. I have been part of and seen project teams working on new initiatives and enhancements that spin for years without ever getting completed and/or implemented. If you are the type of person who likes to keep your mouth completely shut and listen to incompetent fools for senior management who could not possibly find employment outside this "discount" IT operations than I suggest you work in IT at TJX. If you are the type of person who strives to be "retired in place" then I suggest working in Merchandising, or Stores, or Supply Chain IT. If you are the type of person who will wake up one day when your life's sun is about to set and think "wow that was an amazingly awful way to spend my life", then take a look at the offices in Marlboro, MA and suit up for the time of your life. It's funny, "most men do lead lives of quite desperation", but working at TJX takes this concept to a whole new level.

Advice to Management

Find, hire, retain the most competent associates you can for the positions and hand and management them with integrity and respect.

Showing 1,317 of 1,388 reviews