TKG StorageMart Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Manager in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at TKG StorageMart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been working for StorageMart for 2 &1/2 years. Before coming here I worked for another self storage company. I immediately felt at home and like family at Storagemart! I've never worked for a company who cares so much for their employees. I've had many personal issues that has transpired since I've been with the company. I've been surprised and quite pleased with the level of compassion and understanding I've received from them.
    StorageMart offers an excellent 401k program, affordable health, dental and vision insurance. They believe in promoting from within so most of the regional managers have been both an assistant and a manger and can relate to "being in our shoes". The schedule's are generally very accommodating as long as we give the notice in the approved amount of time. The company offers a full one week vacation upon the 1st day of employment. That started in January. It used to be after one year and it goes to show that they are always striving to offer the best benefits to their team members. After 2 years you get 2 weeks paid vacation. We get paid time off that accrues each pay period and you are free to use that for sick days or to take an extra day off. The company as a whole, work together as a team. All the way from the store managers to regional and corporate offices to the call center and even the IT dept. I'm blessed to be a part of the Storagemart team!

Cons

Closing at 6pm makes it a little hard to spend time with family each night. Not having a full time assistant makes getting every task required difficult and somewhat stressful at times.

Advice to Management

It would be beneficial to some, to have stores open earlier (8am) so we could be home with our families in the evening. I think larger stores with a high customer volume, should have 2 people working at all times to ensure not only customer satisfaction, but to also offer an excellent level of easy, clean service.

2. "Great Benefits Offered"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mission, KS
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mission, KS

I have been working at TKG StorageMart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good hours - always have Sundays off and we do not open too early or stay open too late. Management seems to really care about your career goals and helps you to achieve them. If you work hard, you are rewarded. The company has awesome benefits...great 401k match program, paid time off, health/vision/dental/life/AD&D insurance programs. Some locations offer on-site manager apartments with all utilities paid.

Cons

Although I like the intensity of the sales training that is available, it is difficult to go without commission until your certification is received. This can take a few months, and the job can be physically demanding for the amount paid hourly. Another con is actually a perk turned con because the on-site apartments at some facilities that are meant for the manager of that particular facility have prior managers that choose not to vacate for years or other situations that do not allow the actual manager of the store to have his/her on-site apartment.

Advice to Management

Raise starting pay or offer commissions sooner in training process. Be consistent with on-site living arrangements for employees.

3. "Good company to work for"

I have been working at TKG StorageMart part-time

Pros

Flexible with your schedule and are doing something new everyday.

Cons

Not too many cons that come with the job

4. "Progressive Company"

I worked at TKG StorageMart full-time

Pros

Stable company with growth in mind. Always changing and adapting to the market.

Cons

A bit stuffy and rigid. But what do you expect from a top tiered company?

Advice to Management

You can advance if you work hard, think outside the box and drive results.

5. "StorageMart"

I worked at TKG StorageMart part-time

Pros

StorageMart is a growing family business that will offer you opportunities to grow with them if you earn it. The executives have a wealth of knowledge in the commercial real estate markets and you can learn a lot from them

Cons

The office can be a tad cliquish

6. "Working at TKG StorageMart"

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Columbia, MO

I worked at TKG StorageMart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great family run company with good growth potential

Cons

Medical insurance not affordable if you have a family

Advice to Management

Get better Healthcare options for employees

7. "serious issues"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Storage unit to employees for $3 per month. Company does have a great mission and contributes to charities. Company its self is a good company.

Cons

Management of the region. When a person is denied a promotion and is razzed about Dr appointments for your 3 year old child regarding his neurologist and cardiologist because because he is epileptic and has a heart issue, then the person razzing obviously has a heart issue to, they don't have one. There is documentation and voice recording regarding this. You are allowed to be treated terribly by any property manager that wishes to treat you that way. Boooyy do I have stories. my advice, dont work here if you dont want to do all the work at all the stores and dont apply if you or a loved one has medical conditions. Also, communication around here, terrible. Almost impossible to get anything done because all the time is being spent on how they will demean and accuse you of things next.

Advice to Management

Higher management needs to make more unannounced visits to see what's really going on and talk to employees to make sure there are no issues. You will be surprised as long as people have the guts to say it.

8. "Growing Family Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at TKG StorageMart (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at StorageMart for several years. They are the largest privately owned self storage company and have doubled in size over the last several years, and is continuing to grow.

One of the big positives I see working at StorageMart is number of people who start out in a lower position, do great work and get recognized, and are given the opportunity to move up and be promoted. They're a large company, but family still drives a good deal of the business, so I've seen their strong desire to give employees a chance to succeed and grow within the company. I've seen this both at the local level in their main office (in Columbia MO), to their positions out at their stores in the US and Canada. For instance, many of the regional managers working for StorageMart started out as either an assistant or manager at the store. At their main office, some of their top level management started with the company in much smaller positions, from answering calls to managing a self storage facility in the past. If your looking to prove yourself in both your current position, and be given the chance to grow beyond that over time as opportunities arise, this is a great place to work.

Cons

The office temperature can get a bit chilly in the Winter sometimes.

TKG StorageMart Response

Mar 23, 2016 – Payroll and Benefits Coordinator

Thank you very much for your review! We enjoy calling you a part of our team!

9. "Family-owned atmosphere and Expanding business"

Current Employee - Missouri in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Missouri in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at TKG StorageMart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A family-owned business that values the hard work and talent of its employees.
    - Opportunity to advance and grow.
    - Company is growing at a steady pace and will bring more opportunities for advancement.
    - Offers flexibility and autonomy.

Cons

- We wear many hats and sometimes become over-extended
    - Information/communication is somewhat fragmented or lost between departments.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on company culture, and finding ways to offer employee perks. We especially love the BBQ ribs!

TKG StorageMart Response

Mar 24, 2016 – Payroll and Benefits Coordinator

Thank you so much for your feedback! We also love BBQ too and plan to have more events in the future.
    And we agree, communication is something we are constantly working on!

10. "Assistant Storer Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Able to work independently by myself.

Cons

working outside in the winter months