TKG StorageMart Reviews | Glassdoor

Mike Burnam
1 Rating

1. "StorageMart"

I worked at TKG StorageMart part-time

Pros

StorageMart is a growing family business that will offer you opportunities to grow with them if you earn it. The executives have a wealth of knowledge in the commercial real estate markets and you can learn a lot from them

Cons

The office can be a tad cliquish

2. "Working at TKG StorageMart"

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Columbia, MO

I worked at TKG StorageMart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great family run company with good growth potential

Cons

Medical insurance not affordable if you have a family

Advice to Management

Get better Healthcare options for employees

3. "serious issues"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Storage unit to employees for $3 per month. Company does have a great mission and contributes to charities. Company its self is a good company.

Cons

Management of the region. When a person is denied a promotion and is razzed about Dr appointments for your 3 year old child regarding his neurologist and cardiologist because because he is epileptic and has a heart issue, then the person razzing obviously has a heart issue to, they don't have one. There is documentation and voice recording regarding this. You are allowed to be treated terribly by any property manager that wishes to treat you that way. Boooyy do I have stories. my advice, dont work here if you dont want to do all the work at all the stores and dont apply if you or a loved one has medical conditions. Also, communication around here, terrible. Almost impossible to get anything done because all the time is being spent on how they will demean and accuse you of things next.

Advice to Management

Higher management needs to make more unannounced visits to see what's really going on and talk to employees to make sure there are no issues. You will be surprised as long as people have the guts to say it.

5. "Growing Family Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at TKG StorageMart (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at StorageMart for several years. They are the largest privately owned self storage company and have doubled in size over the last several years, and is continuing to grow.

One of the big positives I see working at StorageMart is number of people who start out in a lower position, do great work and get recognized, and are given the opportunity to move up and be promoted. They're a large company, but family still drives a good deal of the business, so I've seen their strong desire to give employees a chance to succeed and grow within the company. I've seen this both at the local level in their main office (in Columbia MO), to their positions out at their stores in the US and Canada. For instance, many of the regional managers working for StorageMart started out as either an assistant or manager at the store. At their main office, some of their top level management started with the company in much smaller positions, from answering calls to managing a self storage facility in the past. If your looking to prove yourself in both your current position, and be given the chance to grow beyond that over time as opportunities arise, this is a great place to work.

Cons

The office temperature can get a bit chilly in the Winter sometimes.

TKG StorageMart Response

Mar 23, 2016 – Payroll and Benefits Coordinator

Thank you very much for your review! We enjoy calling you a part of our team!

6. "Family-owned atmosphere and Expanding business"

Current Employee - Missouri in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Missouri in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at TKG StorageMart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A family-owned business that values the hard work and talent of its employees.
    - Opportunity to advance and grow.
    - Company is growing at a steady pace and will bring more opportunities for advancement.
    - Offers flexibility and autonomy.

Cons

- We wear many hats and sometimes become over-extended
    - Information/communication is somewhat fragmented or lost between departments.

Advice to Management

Continue focusing on company culture, and finding ways to offer employee perks. We especially love the BBQ ribs!

TKG StorageMart Response

Mar 24, 2016 – Payroll and Benefits Coordinator

Thank you so much for your feedback! We also love BBQ too and plan to have more events in the future. And we agree, communication is something we are constantly working on!

7. "Assistant Storer Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Able to work independently by myself.

Cons

working outside in the winter months

8. "Manager"

Pros

Closed on Sunday's. Pay is mediocre, but it's a better mediocre then most companies will give you.

Cons

No staffing, which makes getting time requested off a difficulty. Mixed messages: Training manuals tell you one thing, your regional director tells you something else completely. No honesty. They want you to lie about storage units available to close sales.

Advice to Management

In this era it is particularly important that everyone follows the same route. Mixed messages are far too common with your company. Regional director would knowingly lie to me to accomplish his own ends, even when I would bring up what the company manual says. Also update your archaic systems, and teach your managers (and regional managers) how petty cash works. Our regional would approve almost anything we wanted to get, almost 90% was unnecessary.

9. "Treats you like family"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at TKG StorageMart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Closed Sundays , great pay and benefits

Cons

Physical work outside labor at times but nothing you would.t do at home.

10. "StorageMart wants you to use empathy to make sales, but has no empathy toward employees."

Former Employee - Phone Representative
    Former Employee - Phone Representative

I worked at TKG StorageMart part-time

Pros

They provide fairly in-depth paid training to develop sales skills; provide coffee and occasional food for employees; you can play on your phone while working

Cons

They do not care about your personal life or personal development; there is no flexibility with scheduling; the divisions between call center reps and management is very clear.

11. "Corporate office is a great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO

I have been working at TKG StorageMart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The corporate office is a great place to work.
    Good people
    Relaxed atmosphere
    casual dress
    Flexible scheduling

Cons

The insurance plan is not that great.