TMA Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Software Engineer

4.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent small (& growing) business in IC"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TMA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

solid benefits, new technology, relevant mission experience

Cons

small companies often suffer the most in a gov't contracting environment

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff more, to evolve the culture to be more bottoms-up

Jan 30, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! I will certainly pass along your comment to listen to staff more. Also please be encouraged to use the Ideas @ TMA email to share ideas!

2. "Great company to work for! Tremendous growth!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TMA (More than 5 years)

Pros

When you get an offer from TMA the offer has your base salary, but in addition to that TMA deposits 18% (3% Employee Stock and 15% 401K) of your base salary into your retirement account and another 30% of your base salary into your benefits spending account.

Example: Someone that gets a base salary of $100K would be getting the following IBA benefits $3K ESOP and $15K 401K + $30K for your spending account. For $100K base salary, it is like receiving $148K (minus insurance - holidays/vacation). The best thing is that when you take time off your still earning IBA (the 48%).

You can use your spending account for tax free withdrawals for medical and dental insurance, medical and dental office receipts, daycare reimbursements. Vacation days and holidays will also come from the spending account. At most companies your paycheck would be $100 - medical/dental insurance - taxes - your 401K contribution + some kind of 401K matching maybe 3% up to some max amount. Approximately 13 days holidays + 2-3 weeks vacation.

- We have company seats at the Washington Nationals PNC Diamond Club (all inclusive beer and wine and food) + free parking and awesome seats.
    - We have company seats for the Washington Capitals Club Red 365 Club (all inclusive beer and wine and food + access to the Eithad Airways Lounge, MGM National Harbor Lounge, and AK Lounge) + free parking, access to VIP player meet and greets, and seats are 3 rows from the glass near the penalty box.

Cons

Great company no cons that I can think of

Advice to Management

Great Company!

Jan 3, 2017 – HR & Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed account of working for TMA! The IBA really is as good as it sounds!

3. ""Creative and Innovative Defense Contractor to Work For""

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Chantilly, VA

Pros

The management team is dedicated to the success of their interns, and strive to make TMA an enjoyable place to work. They pay competitively with other defense contractors.

Cons

Don't really have any complaints about the company.

Advice to Management

TMA is bringing innovation to the defense industry! Thank you for making all employees feel appreciated!

Oct 21, 2016 – HR & Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are thrilled to know that you had such an enjoyable internship experience with us!

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at TMA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has really turned into an exciting place to work since a recent leadership change. Company is rapidly growing and senior leadership is providing fantastic opportunities for professional development. Innovation and commitment to the mission is really fostered. Company has found a balance between delivering to customers and enjoying the day to day. Fun place to be.

Cons

Many of the new contracts require work in government spaces and it can be hard to keep up to date with everything the company is doing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. TMA is a breath of fresh air in the defense market.

Jul 6, 2016 – HR & Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are very happy to hear that recent changes have been so well-received!

5. "Good place to work, friendly environment, great benefits."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at TMA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits package, they encourage you to take time off (some companies "recognize" when employees take less than their allotted vacation time...), very flexible
    - Very intelligent people working there, always looking to get better
    - Lots of opportunities to receive training, and when people come back from training, they present some of the information that they learned to encourage others
    - Get your own office
    - Opportunities to move to difference projects (on different sites) if you choose. If you get bored with one project, there are a bunch of others you can try to apply for.
    - Company seems to be on the rise again. I am a fan of the changes that were made when the new president came on board.

Cons

- Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of having my own office. Could get lonely, but that's just my preference.
    - Working in a SCIF. Again, not really a big deal at all, but some people don't like it.
    - People would often come and go to other sites/projects. For the main project at HQ, it hurt a bit having people experienced with the project leave to go to another site (on their own volition).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! I enjoyed my time at TMA, and I appreciated how excited others were about the projects and technologies being used, which in turn helped me to get excited about it.

Jan 8, 2016 – Staffing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review for a former employer!

6. "Good company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

I worked at TMA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team, people are friendly

Cons

too far to get lunch

Jun 21, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I am not sure how long ago you worked for us, but there is now a cafe in the building right next door, so it's now just a very short walk for... More