TMC Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
TMC Transportation CEO Harrold Annett
Harrold Annett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great Company home every weekend good pay (in 7 reviews)

• Good pay for those willing to work for it, good benefits, home every weekend, (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Away from home and break down pay (in 4 reviews)

• The job itself was great, but the work environment was not (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great home time and good at getting you home"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at TMC Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been averaging $1000 a week. I get home every weekend and have a great relationship with my fleet manager

Cons

It's strictly flatbed (no box trailer or tanker) so you have some unpleasant shippers and receivers. Governed trucks and no apu

2. "trainer"

I worked at TMC Transportation full-time

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

have no complaints about this company

3. "Rethink your decision to work here..."

Former Employee - Logistics Representative in Brownsburg, IN
    Former Employee - Logistics Representative in Brownsburg, IN

I worked at TMC Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and off on Sat and Sun

Cons

I was actually very excited to work here, they sold it very well in the interview, Needless to say I was very disappointed! The Manager is strongly lacking any boundaries and leadership skills. The office really needs someone who can set themselves aside from the pettiness in the office and not get involved in it and/or create it! Huge micro-managing. There really is no TEAM, very very cut throat industry. Covering loads is VERY VERY hard with NO assets! It is a very competitive market. The company is very new to logistics and policies are non-existent. The rules don't apply to everyone. A great deal of pettiness and immaturity. The commission structure that they sold me in the interview, is close to IMPOSSIBLE to get, dont plan on any commission for the first 6-7 months, and then very rarely after that. Reality: telemarketer, base salary and a very unpleasant work environment, in a male-dominated industry~
    80 calls a day no exceptions. Constant problems, with loads, internal etc. Major turn over. Calling the same people (who get 100's of calls daily) day in and day out asking them if you can have their shipments and then you cannot cover them.

Advice to Management

Please stop micromanaging, let the sales people be creative, and use their personalities and talents to win business. Be more open to suggestions and new ideas, try new things that are suggested by actual sales reps that are not in the clique. Work on consistency across the board with your sales reps, don't show favoritism and stop the double standards, work on actually motivating the team and not discouraging them (micromanaging, criticism, scare tactics, etc). WORK on changing the belief that it is a male-dominated industry, and stop encouraging it!!!!

"Logistics Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Logistics Sales Representative in Brownsburg, IN
    Current Employee - Logistics Sales Representative in Brownsburg, IN

I have been working at TMC Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

VERY competitive base pay, beautiful brand new office, decent benefits, fitness room, very laid back, Salaried employee

Cons

The cost of the health insurance is RIDICULOUS! As for the office, its an okay place to work but its very "male oriented." Meaning, all of the TV's in the office are ALWAYS on sports channels and most of the contests are sports-related. Its definitely a "boys club" environment. Goals are EXTREMELY hard to meet. They pitch it in the interview like its easy to meet but its not. Tenured reps get to pretty much do whatever they want. From 20 min smoke breaks to working from home or leaving early, they pretty much do whatever they want to do.

Advice to Management

Stop with the BS "pep talk" emails/meetings and work on better training for your employees. Consider the females in the office when it comes to contests and the overall environment. Women don't enjoy "free throw" contests. How about some gift cards or giveaways? Also, treat your new emploiyees with respect and stop letting seasoned reps do whatever the hell they want!

"They have a lot of racism"

I have been working at TMC Transportation full-time

Pros

The Hotel and Orientation was good

Cons

They are racist for the Hispanic people, Iincluding the trainer's

"I really wanted to love this job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bentonville, AR

I worked at TMC Transportation full-time

Pros

Off weekends. Decent starting salary

Cons

Basically everything else. I enjoyed the week long training in Des Moines. Did I gain much from it having been in logistics for 7 years? Not really. But it was a good introduction to the company itself, (which I'm sure on the asset side truly is great). They sold it to be a great place to work (again, I'm sure some branches it is) but once I began working in the Bentonville office, it was clear fairly early on I didn't buy what they were selling. I'd bought a lemon and I wanted to take it back.

Advice to Management

1. Delegating is a thing, and this place has no idea how to do that. The manager is looking out for number one (understandably so, she has high volume accounts and numbers to hit), she either needs to not have such a heavy work load customer-wise (where that delegating comes in) or enlists someone to help manage the office, (this doesn't entail mico-managing, rather being invested in their success and work/home life balance. The woman didn't even know people's schedules and backtracked on previously agreed upon arrangements. If you're going to be the one running the ship, be organized). One or the other falls to the wayside...and the one that gets left behind is the employees every time, resulting in a miserable working environment.
    2. Having said that, the 'leaders' of the 'pods' are about as far from leaders as the sun is from the earth. They have had no leadership training, (or if they have they didn't participate in class) they are simply the most tenured at this location. Tenureship does not a leader make, and this group of misfits is a perfect example. I was there half a year and I could have led and motivated a team vastly better than the 'leaders' I had the misfortune to fall under. Not based on tenure, but because my background is IN leadership. If they're only in that position because they're phenominal sales or coverage folk, they should stick to that, and skip the attempt at leadership. The only outcome they received while I was there from it was numerous walk-outs of highly qualified individuals. Sad.
    3. It is 100% a dog-eat-dog, every man for himself type mentality. There is zero..and I mean this with every fiber of my being...ZERO team/group/atta boy environment. Which, hey, some people thrive in that, I however do not. I need to know my coverage cares enough about my load and my customers as I do. I want to hear people congratulate and acknowledge people GENUINELY not just whatever numbers pop up on boards. I was truly struggling with getting my loads covered to the point I lost all but 1 customer I had brought in. When I took this issue to management and the 'leader' of my pod it was radio silence. Why? Because it didn't directly effect them. I wasn't part of a team, it wasn't their customers that failed, so why should they care right? Wrong.
    4. The pettiness is unlike anything I've ever encountered not just in my career but it surpassed my experience in high school. For a group of people that had no desire to work as a team, they sure cared about what everyone wore, what they looked up on the internet, if they were on their cell phones, how their hair was fixed so on. The management fed into this and it just created a downward spiral for anyone not in the right social circle. Why should there be a right social circle at work? It should be a level playing field for everyone, and it's a far cry from it.

Again I truly wanted to love this job. I came in with stars in my eyes after leaving the corporate world. As much as I disliked what had become of my corporate experience, I'd take that any day over working at that comedy of errors location.

"line haul driver"

Current Employee - Line Haul in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Line Haul in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at TMC Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

better than a 9-5, they cover the bases, you get your CDL which is a robo teat set-up. Annett owns everything you touch including freight or the companies you haul. Even owns 51% of pilot the rumor is.

Cons

fleet managers are terrible and half of them lie. Tmc is a hand-on training school. They lie here and there and are paid too do so. Egotistical. Bunch of bored military fools who forgot how big the world is and probably have a hard time keeping up with the world and its trends. They clown around to much and play the whole he said she said nonsense

Advice to Management

less tomfoolery and middle men, more innovation, and let drivers drive, pick loads.. fleet managers and upper management is a joke. Annett is getting robbed BLIND probably doesn't even realize it.

"Not What You Think"

Current Employee - OTR
    Current Employee - OTR

I have been working at TMC Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Umm, umm, um, still thinking......

Cons

low pay, low pay, low pay.

Advice to Management

Expect a man to work 16 hrs a day pay him. (that's right 16, means 2 hours of you off duty time spent untarping, ut up securement, and cleaning.)

"Awful Sales Experience"

Former Employee - Logistics Sales in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Logistics Sales in Bentonville, AR

I worked at TMC Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Every Saturday and Sunday off

Cons

Nothing positive to say regarding this company

Advice to Management

You need to hire a HR person to have on site. The Bentonville office manager runs that office like you are in a High School Drama Club. She encourages people to tell on people on a daily basis. During a company lunch picnic there were people with BEER at their desk drinking and working. However she will blast out emails regarding cell phone or internet abuse.

"Miserable sales job"

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Brownsburg, IN
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in Brownsburg, IN

I have been working at TMC Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Off On Saturday and Sunday

Cons

Horrible manager, double standards, logistic sales with no assets, inconsistency in procedures, rules

Advice to Management

attend a good management seminar, be more open to employees, give them respect if you want it, listen more and talk less, deflate ego, work on consistency and relations with others