TMP Worldwide 228 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TMP Worldwide President & CEO Michelle Abbey
Michelle Abbey

Pros
  • TMP encourages autonomous work which allows for an excellent work/life balance (in 18 reviews)

• There are some great people In the office (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • We all work incredibly hard and I wish the work / life balance was improved (in 9 reviews)

• Due to this fact, there is high turnover within the Client Services department; it's like a revolving door (in 12 reviews)

1. "Client Strategist"

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

positive culture at work, inclusive atmosphere, fun place to work, on top of digital trends, full of a lot of very smart people

Cons

there are alot of people who touch each account

2. "A Great Place to Work"

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Now that I've been here for about 5 months, I can honestly say I've never worked with nicer people. Everyday I have the opportunity to work on meaningful projects that contribute to the company's overall business strategy. I'm proud to say I work for a company like TMP!

Cons

I don't really have knowledge of what all the different departments do.

"Work-life Balance Not Worth the Salary"

Pros

Summer Fridays (every other Friday off in summer)
    Your birthday is a paid holiday
    Casual dress code, relaxed atmosphere
    Good people who enjoy socializing

Cons

TMP pays a fraction of what you can make elsewhere. They will tell you the work-life balance (mentioned above) makes it worthwhile but you will quickly find that summer Fridays don't pay the bills and you may end up using that time to get a second job anyways.

Advice to Management

To recruit and retain the best talent, pay people what they are worth.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Inbound Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inbound Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time

Pros

- 21 PTOs
    - High profile clients
    - Great coworkers who feel your pain and desire to jump the sinking ship
    - Flexible work hours, work from home, summer Fridays
    - This type of work environment is great for people who know how to work hard and play hard

Cons

This review is specifically for the Chicago office. During my time at TMP, half my team had quit or been fired.

Even when we had a full team (in the eyes of corporate), we were chronically understaffed causing many people to work too many hours (work through lunch). On top of the burnout, we were always told to work only 40 hours, so that meant we’re not producing quality work for any of our clients.

Unfortunately, many of TMP’s upper management have type A, dominant personalities (my way or the highway), so they're VERY good at belittling you, being degrading, and manipulating you. My boss was the poster child for this behavior, but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt that he had to be like this in a dog eat dog work environment.

I think the most disappointing thing for me was that my boss made you really believe that he had your back, but there were way too many times that he didn't. And whenever we brought up our disappointment, he got mad. (Why does this sound like an abusive relationship?)

Worst of all, TMP has made us all believe this is what every company is like and we need to suck it up. THIS IS A LIE. There are so many companies that are ethical, respectful, and care so much about the employees. I'm at a company right now that treats me with so much respect, cares about my growth, and there is no gossip or throwing each other under the bus.

When the Inbound Team reads this review, I’m sure there will be gossip, trying to decipher who wrote this review. I’m sure our boss will have assumptions and share his anger with the team, because that’s what he always does. Please be a mature adult and prove me wrong. Use this as a chance to see there's so many things wrong with the team and TMP and take this as a chance to grow and change.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

6. "Account"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the very best people!

Cons

Defining roles and the path for growth needs improvement.

"If You Do Your Job, You're Treated Well"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great first job out of school. Because the labor market is so tight, you're going to get a front row seat for the latest technologies in ad-buying; programmatic, geo-targeting, metrics and peer-to-peer networking sites. The management in my office (DC) is very supportive and helpful.

Cons

Some of the training is rushed
    Like all advertising, it's sink or swim. Ask questions or you will be left behind
    The hours are long over the first year. It gets better

Advice to Management

Make sure you're sales goal is obtainable so that employees receive their 401 k matches. The people who do the lion's share of your work shoudn't miss out because your sales people don't reach the goals set by the company.

"A lot of pressure on a few shoulders"

Former Employee - Digital Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a company specializing in brand development/talent acquisition (creative services and software), they did have their advertising and HR game on point.
    The offices were pleasant enough for an open-system, and there were plenty of staff events and employee perks. The benefits were decent.

Cons

So much work was contracted, where no-one had any idea how it would be achieved.
    Some departments enjoyed a lot of slack while others had zero work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Use the annual and semi-annual reviews as a time to assess an employee's potential and mentor, instead of your friendship at the bar.
    Management, remember you didn't start there and try to help others when you can instead of simply wondering why the work isn't finished.

"Alright"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are a good employee, TMP is good about recognition and new opportunities.
    Flexibility and ability to work from home.

Cons

They don't weed out some of the employees that are not contributing as much as they should be. Need to enforce accountability or implement improvements when it's required.
    Pay is not the best.

"Training could improve"

Current Employee - Accounts Team in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accounts Team in New York, NY

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with! Coworkers are the best part of the company.

Cons

The training structure could definitely improve. New employees need to be given better tools to succeed in their roles.
    Dealing with very demanding and rude clients, of which TMP always puts above its employees

Advice to Management

Improve training and listen to your employees

"Good Starter Job, Not Career Worthy..."

Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Product Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Benefits and good amount of PTO
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Beer/Wine and good food at meetings, office parties, etc.
    - Business Casual dress code
    - Location
    - Nice team members (for the most part)

Cons

Workload is imbalanced, there is little to no back-up coverage, and no organization.

This company has very shady practices when it comes to lower level employees and promotions, compensation, and treatment. If you are not already at a higher position in this company, do not expect to move up. They'd rather hire external candidates than to promote within, stating lack of experience as the main reason you cannot move up, when in fact, employees basically train themselves. There is no legit on-boarding process, you kind of learn as you go. Also, they hang over your head the fact that if you do want to move up in the company, you must take on additional trainings and mid to higher level tasks, but they will NOT compensate you for it. Management is a joke in the Atlanta office. They are either never here or working from home, but will only allow certain employees to work from home, which isn't fair to the ones that never get to work from home even with a legitimate excuse. They show a lot of favoritism toward employees who have been with the company for at least a few years or more. They also try to play little mind games with you as if you are not smart enough to notice when they are pulling the wool over your eyes. If there is a conflict, you're better off keeping it to yourself because they offer no empathy or resolution for whatever the problem is. Lastly, if you put in a two weeks notice, expect to be let go either on the same day or well before the two week mark.

Advice to Management

Advice to upper management: GET NEW LOWER MANAGEMENT

Advice to lower management: Focus more on keeping your employees happy instead of being worried about "keeping the team together in an open environment" (BS). Also, if you don't want to promote lower level employees, but come to them with mid to higher level projects, make sure there is ample compensation for that. TREAT ALL OF YOUR EMPLOYEES FAIRLY. There are so many other TMP employees looking for other work that it is ridiculous. I'm glad I got out when I did.