TMP Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
TMP Worldwide President & CEO Michelle Abbey
Michelle Abbey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • TMP encourages autonomous work which allows for an excellent work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Many great people to work with on various teams (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • We all work incredibly hard and I wish the work / life balance was improved (in 10 reviews)

• Extremely high turnover rate but no changes being made to fix it (in 15 reviews)

"Realise Your Potential"

Current Employee - TMS Team in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - TMS Team in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work Life Balance,
    There are experts in every area
    Innovation and Development
    Great Colleagues

Cons

Internal structural changes are slow and clumsy
    Career Paths unclear
    Account and Content Team Turnover

Advice to Management

Give clarity to your staff on what is expected and what defines success. TMP is a great place to work and once you find your skill or interest, TMP will back you.

Sometimes that isn't clear and staff wait for promotions just because they do their job. That's not the way to progress here and by the time they realize, there is resentment.

It's right to promote those who go the extra mile or have that spark and not based on time served or which circle they identify with.

"Good People, Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The people I worked with were fantastic. I made a lot of great friendships that I anticipate keeping for a long time.

2. The job title on your resume is nice (but ultimately I do not think it's worth it).

3. The view from the office is amazing. 40th floor looking both North and South down Michigan Avenue is something I will truly miss.

Cons

1. The entry level workers are overworked and underpaid. Management constantly bullies and belittles their employees to complete tasks with unrealistic timelines and will always find a way to pin the blame solely on the entry level workers. Entry level employees often put in over 60 hours a week, and even then that's not enough. As a result, turnover is constantly high. I counted 15 out of 23 team members on my team quit and be replaced within the six months I worked there. It's impossible to have any semblance of continuity when you are replacing nearly 75% of your team every six months.

2. The general theme at TMP is "Refuse Responsibility, pass on accountability". It takes a ridiculous amount of time to get anything accomplished at TMP because nobody (except for the entry level workers who are in constant fear of being fired) will do the work assigned to them and they'll toss it aside until they can find someone else to do it for them or are being yelled at by a client because of slow turnaround time. As a result, deadlines are missed, the clients aren't happy, and management pins it on the entry level workers who are already working 60+ hour weeks. It wasn't unusual for entry level workers to get fired just before the end of their 3 month trial period due to "missing deadlines", when in reality the deadlines would never have been missed if the upper level management did their jobs as expected. Instead, these entry level employees were used as scapegoats and the cycle continues on, forever in search of its next victim. The bottom line is management will not hesitate to throw you or anyone else under the bus in order to save themselves.

3. During the six months I was working for TMP, almost every perk that they advertised during the interview was taken away from us and was then dangled in front of our faces as a form of incentive.

- Working from home was a perk that people used regularly. TMP's Chicago office is a cesspool of sickness and once somebody gets sick, everyone else is sick within a week, so this perk was utilized for everyone else's benefit, not just the sick employee's benefit. But once the employees started missing deadlines, the blame was put on entry level workers slacking off while working from home (In my opinion, the blame should have instead been placed on the insanely large workload each employee faced due to constant turn over). To add insult to injury, after this perk being taken away for the entire summer, we were then told that if all 23 people on the team did not make a single mistake for 30 days we could get that perk back. Nothing spreads morale like telling an entire team you can have your basic perk back if an insurmountable goal is met.

- I was also advertised Summer Fridays where employees get every other Friday off during the summer. By the time summer came around it had dwindled down to having only 3 hours free on Fridays (which is better than nothing), but with the condition that when you leave the office you have to be somewhere where you can stay on your computer because according to our manager, if you missed a request, even when off the clock, you were going to be held liable. Summer hours can be paraphrased as "enjoy your time off, but not really, because we still expect you to work, even though we told you we didn't have to."

4. The employees were always included in the discussion of major changes, but it felt like we were there only as a form of protocol. Anytime anybody would dissent we were met with prepared answers that didn't even acknowledge our complaints in the first place. I felt like they never really wanted our opinions, but rather wanted to be able to say they "took our opinions into consideration" even though the decision had clearly been already made.

5. Our team even met with the CEO, Michelle Abby, one day, and she talked to us all about the reoccurring problems here in Chicago and how we might be able to fix them. We all gave her our honest opinions, yet nothing happened as a result. No changes were made and we were facing the same issues on my last day that we faced on my first day. It's clear that the CEO sets a precedent of ignoring large problems, hoping they will fix themselves. Unfortunately, the managers are quick to take advantage of the CEO's lack of overall concern to fix reoccurring problems, and everyone and everything at TMP suffers as a result.

6. TMP honestly operates as if nobody is actually in charge and it leads to some major flaws within the organization. A few examples:

- First off, nobody trained me how to do my position. I was the only person in the office who had my role, so they didn't have anybody on site to actually train me, nor did they have an official training program for me. They didn't even have a plan to train me and basically said "good luck" and left me to figure it out on my own. Anytime I had a question about something I was told to "try emailing someone" which then resulted in me being given the run around and could never get answers to the questions I had. My entire training process was to cross my fingers and pray that what I was about to do could be undone if it wasn't right. As a web developer, that is a very, very stressful situation to be in because one wrong click could bring down every single page we had created for that client.

- The team managers don't have a budget, so all off site events the employees are responsible for paying for everything they consume and then the company acts offended when nobody shows up. Occasionally a team manager will foot the bill, but that only happens whey they're desperate to increase moral. This causes a dissonance between management and the entry level employees, which nobody ever wants.

- My entire interview was one red flag after another. Nobody knew what my position actually did and what its future entailed, only that the position existed and was open. I honestly would have walked out mid interview, but I was desperate for a job. All of those red flags were rampant within the first week, and by the end of the first month I was already looking for a new job.

- The different departments are pitted against each other as if it's a form of competition. My very first day on the job I was told to not have any contact with any other departments because they will not hesitate to give someone directions knowing that it won't make the client happy, purely in an effort to make themselves look better when the client calls in to complain. Whether that's true or not, it's what I was told by two people on my first day, including a manager, and I later found that nearly everyone on my team felt the same way. For the remainder of my time at TMP, any ensuing conversations I had with a different department felt immediately hostile. How can anyone achieve a common goal if they're pitted against each other and not working together?

Advice to Management

My suggestion for improvement at TMP is to take a look at all levels of employees and "drain the swamp".

1. TMP has a band aid type of approach to fixing things- they make temporary fixes that solve the issue now, but doesn't solve the issue in the long run. They make the same mistakes over and over and over and wonder why they keep happening. They would rather find the quick fix than they would take the time to find the root of the problem and address that.

2. There are so many managers here who focus their time on making it so they can't be fired rather than focusing on putting out good work. I have been witness to a manager telling an employee to take care of something, only to have the client object at a later date. The manager then pinned it on the employee saying that this employee was the last line of defense from putting out bad product, so it didn't matter who the orders came from because they were still being held responsible for this mistake.

2a. Honestly, if the managers spent as much time trying to put out good product as they spend deflecting the blame from the issues that arise from their incompetency, most of the above problems would vanish overnight.

3. TMP has no issue disciplining or firing their entry level workers but when it comes to holding anybody above that level accountable, they can't seem to find their back bone.

4. Listen to your employees about their complaints and why they have them. Whether you're talking about the constant turnover rates, the lack of employee moral, the bullying by management, or anything else, find the root of the problem and address it. Don't have meetings to act like you care, but actually do something to fix the issues to show you care.

"Content Manager"

Current Employee - Content Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Content Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TMP Worldwide (More than a year)

Pros

*Agency Environment is great
    *The people you work with become your family
    * High profile accounts
    * Access to amazing research
    * 40th floor
    * Flexibility to WFH when needed
    *Great PTO
    Movement within company

Cons

*Upper Management never listens
    * They don't promote from within even though they claim you are qualified
    *underpaid, over worked
    *upper management is power hungry and doesn't listen to employee feedback
    Upper Management favors certain employees which leads to terrible performace
    *no training

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees, they love doing the work but do not feel appreciated. Lend a hand as a the manager to help your employees succeed. By having "favorites" you lose quality employees and are left with terrible work because those employees think they can get by with bare minimum to none.

4. "The company is just fine"

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have made great friends. Candy jar. Clients are often nice.

Cons

No 401k match, which makes no sense. We are a recruitment advertising company!! You know a nice draw to recruit people are benefits. You brag about how great the company is doing. Let's see a match!! No promotion from within even though they ALWAYS claim they do. You have to literally beg if you see people being interviewed from outside. And really, TMP likes who they like. There's certain people who are just favored regardless of their talent level.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Turnover is big... there are reasons why.

"Account Team"

Former Employee - Account Team
    Former Employee - Account Team

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time

Pros

Top company in the industry

Get to work on big name clients and build strong client relationship if given the opportunity

Great PTO policy (if you have the time to take it)

There are some very smart people and if you find them they can teach you a ton!

Cons

Everyone just looks out for themselves. Lack of accountability and desire to help out. People continuously ask for help but then are the first to say “that’s not my job” when someone else asks. This company does not foster team work.

Claims to be a company that wants to foster talent but everyone is so over worked there is no time to learn or teach anything beyond immediate responsibilities. If you do take on larger amounts of responsibility and make mistakes everyone is quick to place blame vs take responsibility as a team.

Company incentives are designed to benefit high level employees. Everything is based on revenue instead of actual work.

SEM team is completely pointless. No accountability, provides little to no insight, and don’t optimize any campaigns until asked. Have a total set it and forget it mindset. This may be due to the complete overload of work, but makes it impossible for the account team to justify the TMP fee associated with this service.

Doesn’t match 401K (which is absolutely ridiculous when you look at annual revenue and feels like a slap in the face)

6. "Marketing"

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time

Pros

Autonomy, Flexibility, Support, Coworkers, W/L Balance

Cons

TBD TBD TBD TBD TBD

"Don't Work Here"

Former Employee - Content Marketer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Content Marketer in Chicago, IL

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Some awesome coworkers that will make you laugh and bond with you about how much you hate your job.
    - Cool views.

Cons

- Nothing TMP offers is different or better than the next recruitment software or marketing agency.
    - TMP's "Innovation Labs" is stagnant and pretty useless. Go to the website and look at the innovation labs page. You will find a bunch of random tech buzzwords and cool graphics that have absolutely nothing to do with TMP's offering. They even have a "Looking at the Future of Social" document from 2014 on the page dedicated to innovation.
    - No one, including the director of content marketing, knows how to clearly define what the content marketing team does.
    - No one on the content team actually knows what the director of content marketing does.
    - Account team and management only care about churning out content as fast as possible. Uninspired and repetitive content is the result of this.
    - Egos in management lead to undervalued marketers.
    - Extremely high turnover rate but no changes being made to fix it.
    - Below average compensation with above average workload.
    - No real career path in content
    - New roles are being created within the content team, but they are essentially resurrected roles that the director eliminated just a few months ago. The new content strategist role is the old content manager role.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your team and stop taking credit for other peoples' ideas. Actually try to understand how your employees work best and then direct them.

8. "Account Director"

Current Employee - Account Director
    Current Employee - Account Director

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great collaborative company across all aspects of the business.

Cons

Operationally some shortfalls, however, the company seeks improvement regularly to adjust.

Advice to Management

Promote your Account Directors.

"is a joke"

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time

Pros

the people that management clearly doesn't care about

Cons

turnover, management, pay, benefits,

Advice to Management

stop writing your own reviews

"Do NOT Apply"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To be 100% honest I can't think of one positive thing to say about this company.

Cons

Upper management has no connection to lower level staff and they don't care.

Low starting salaries and raises are non-existent

Very little opportunity for advancement

Long hours and very little work-life balance.