TMP Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
TMP Worldwide President & CEO Michelle Abbey
Michelle Abbey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "TMP encourages autonomous work which allows for an excellent work/life balance" (in 23 reviews)

• "Flexible hours and great people to work with" (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • "No work life balance and no constructive criticism or help from colleagues" (in 12 reviews)

• "Bonuses and promotions only benefit upper management" (in 17 reviews)

"DS"

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time

Pros

Great people and culture and

Cons

poor work life balance and

Advice to Management

none

2. "Encourages autonomy, if you think time served entitles you to promotion and/or payrises, apply elsewhere"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance - There is a relaxed approach to when you come and go. If you need to work from home, management is always accommodating.

Everyone is encouraged to progress at their own speed, encouragement and incentives are provided to those who apply themselves.

Overseas transfers are extended to those who perform well or have a niche skill set.

Cons

The same cons as any other company but a few specifics below.

Middle managers are generally people who've shone at something other than being a manager and don't really want to be managers.

Senior managers create their own messes and resentment by turning to favorites rather than relevant line managers, which undermines communication between teams.

Advice to Management

Stop asking senior managers to provide management training. It might be cheaper but they are likely the route cause of your bad management feedback. Do as I say, not as I do culture.

Raise awareness of the good things about TMP up front. Be open about why employee's shouldn't compare TMP with agencies in different markets.

Spread responsibility around and don't just have a few favorites who control everything.

3. "Great People, OK product"

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing, and nice. I think you get what you put into that place in terms of that. They have great strategies, and the location is great.

Cons

Summer Fridays aren't a guarantee, and I wish there was more room for movement. You'll definitely see some websites that Tablent Brew made with spelling errors and un-organized categories or just not updated.

4. "Good company"

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers and management, PTO, great environment, work life balance

Cons

Growth potential, compensation for living area

5. "Good worklife balance"

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time

Pros

Good people to work for

Cons

No matching 401k which is not good

"Media Candidates Beware"

Former Employee - "Media" Department in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - "Media" Department in Chicago, IL

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work is easy and the work/life balance was amazing. It's cushy - If you get your stuff done, you can leave. I pretty much worked 9:30-4:30.

They are very behind in terms of tech/advertising/media. Coming from a bigger media agency, the work at TMP is easier than pie.

Cons

Not somewhere you want to be if you are ambitious and want to grow in your career.

A lot of people who work here are the clock-in/clock-out type.. They'll spend more time telling you they are busy and can't do something than trying to be helpful. You'll lose your enthusiasm and your edge after a while. No one around you wants/care to do the work so it's hard to stay motivated.

TMP is almost B2B media, small budgets, conversion focused. Recruitment marketing is very behind in the space. The clients and everyone outside your media team don't know a thing about media. I can't tell you how many times I have to explain the role of awareness vs. conversion or what an impression is. Media is very limited in recruitment marketing. You will probably pretty much only have the same 3 partners on every plan: Glassdoor, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc.

Management is a joke and a half. They prided themselves for promoting from within, rewarding people who have been working there for a long time. The problem is that the only redeeming quality about those "leaders" are that they've been there for a long time. They don't know how to manage or have an ounce of leadership qualities. These are the same people who don't want to do any work and was so complacent that they never left. Then got promoted because they just stayed at the company.

The whole company is sales focused. You'll be asked (forced) by your account team to recommend something that doesn't make sense so they can hit their revenue goals and get their bonus. It's exhausting trying to reason with them so you eventually give in and recommend things you don't believe in at all.

It is chaotic here...full of immature people. There were people who would regularly chase each other around in the office. The relationships between departments are rough, get ready for freshmen year of high school. The account team is pushy. The content team is inadequate at their jobs but somehow have their noses up in the air like they are better than everyone else. The content team actually smoked marijuana in a conference room during office hours, no repercussion even when management knew about it. The SEM team don't really understand their job outside of what's directly in front of them. Metrics team was decent, wish they have better leadership so they can grow.

TMP isn't really respected as an agency. I'd heavily consider your reputation if you do decide to work here. You may have a hard time getting a job at another agency.

Least of the cons but your vendors are rude AF. There is no room for negotiations because you have no other options but to run with just them.

There are no media perks here because the CEO banned it.

Crappy benefits: United Healthcare, Cigna Dental, no 401k match, sick days count as PTO

Advice to Management

Provide proper management training to leadership positions. If they do not have good leadership qualities, don't promote them just because they've been there for a long time. This is TMP's main problem - too many people in leadership roles who do not have leadership skills or qualities. The chaos just trigger down the food chain.

TMP Worldwide Response

Mar 8, 2019 – VP, Talent Marketing Solutions

Thanks for your feedback – employee input is taken seriously at TMP. I spent many years at consumer agencies before TMP, and I have always felt that, overall, TMPers are better problem solvers and... More

"Great Atmosphere"

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time

Pros

Those in leadership positions are always willing to allow their teams to work in the style and tempo that works best for them. Leaders are always open to hearing feedback from all members of their team.

Cons

There can be high turnover for lower level employees.
    Certain positions require a lot of internal email communication, which could create an overabundance of relaying and slow down plans & initiatives.

"It's the Worst. Leaving TMP was the best change of the year."

Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location and nice people that work there.

Cons

The TMP Chicago office is a revolving door for talent with major problems that start from the leadership-down to create a toxic work culture. In my first months there, it was odd to find so many employees in many departments openly joke about who will be “here today and gone tomorrow” and this is not because it’s so advanced, but because it’s so inefficient. I read on an employment site before starting that they regularly announce to their current employees to write good reviews and I also witnessed this being true when I got there. They have to make current employees write good reviews to counter all the negative experiences they’ve created.
    To someone switching over with tenured Consumer side experience, it’s important to know that you will not be set up for success at TMP. The "career pathing" idea they sell is total baloney and the old playbook of Recruitment Marketing and those who were working on it since the 90s shut out growth because they’ve either never been at a modern agency to see the gaps or they fight being “too much” on an agency model or they just don’t care because they are VPs in constant sales mode of TalentBrew. What a shock to find that they appear like an agency but lack all the necessary processes and offer little support to employees working at all hours to make up the difference. There literally were people who went to the hospital from work-related stress issues and when they returned nothing changed for them so they left.
    Even on their largest accounts it was a constant struggle to try and keep clients. The VP roles are overselling constantly and there aren’t enough people to cover the work. It’s not uncommon for Accounts to cycle through 5+ people in 6 months. Work is undervalued and there is a tragic lack of diversity in leadership which only perpetuates the culture problems. It’s required to play into the fraternity that is encouraged by the office leader as they would openly make fun of employees in staff meetings regularly and didn’t take action when complaints were filed. If you are trying to come from a decent company you should avoid this place because there is no 401k match, no actual support, lots of drama and because of these it is the bottom of the barrel.

Advice to Management

Lead with actions instead of just words to make employees feel valued. Remove people in leadership who have been there forever causing the same problems over and over again. Acknowledge issues before they grow and find ways to actually support the ones doing the heavy lifting for day to day tasks. Also, the best examples of leadership who seemed to care about employees came from Office Administrator roles, so it would be better to just let them run the place or someone with experience of moving up from a beginner level. This would be a drastic change for the positive.

"There's a Reason They Have Such Poor Ratings"

Current Employee - Senior Account Director in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Director in Glendale, CA

I have been working at TMP Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Little oversight and a lot of big brands.

Cons

Next to no professionalism with some of the harshest and most juvenile management coming from the very top. Our clients are constantly being "upsold" with little interest in what's actually right for them and there is no sense of investment in the team trusted with accounts. Positive feedback is nill or negligent and the bottle neck frustration of any effort kills the ability for an individual to accomplish anything of merit for our clients.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at you obscene turn over, poor communication skills and irony of being a Talent Brand Management agency with such poor feedback on your own Talent Brand.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at TMP Worldwide full-time

Pros

The people are very nice, and I'm still friends with them to this day. I also learned a lot while I was there but it's not a company you can be at for more than 1 year. It is not sustainable.

Cons

The turnover at this company is unlike anything I have ever seen. I’ve watched so many people leave in such a short amount of time. There are no perks, and compensation is very low if you come in as what they call an “entry” level position. When you start, you get told your job is from 9-5pm, and that’s what they pay you for. However, managers will text you after hours asking where you are and why you aren't working. Leaving the office late is normal, not a rarity. Everyone is over worked, and they make the entry level people feel undervalued. They are always understaffed, and with turnover being so high, the accounts suffer.

Advice to Management

Make the necessary changes to retain employees. Hire more people to help not just to backfill a role. Do not text or call your employees after hours unless it really is an emergency. It can wait.