TMP Worldwide UK Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
TMP Worldwide UK CEO Andrew Wilkinson
Andrew Wilkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance for me personally and my managers always help with any situation i may have (in 6 reviews)

• Some really great people to work with (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance not great at all (in 3 reviews)

• hard to work the long hours sometimes required (in 3 reviews)

1. "On balance a good company..."

I have been working at TMP Worldwide UK full-time

Pros

Great people, good opportunities to learn new skills, management are honest, much better than harder recruitment companies (no cold calls etc), most work contracted hours so work life balance is good

Cons

You need to make things happen for yourself so opportunities only come to proactive people, managers have lots of reports, financial reward is not the best

Advice to Management

Many people are cogs in a big machine, how do employees know they are making a valid contribution.

"Low morale, low everything"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at TMP Worldwide UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, some lovely people work here.

Cons

A lot has been said about lack of pay reviews, hiring freezes and low morale, these are all accurate. We were absolutely told to write positive reviews on Glassdoor at the end of last year, which was infuriating, but that's exactly what this company is like.

If you're not in management, your advice and input isn't taken seriously (yes, this happens on the 7th floor too). Managers who eventually spout the very same advice get applause, promotions etc, none of which are available to the rest of us.
    People no longer feel valued, and there is zero communication about big changes, with announcements made months after everyone has heard it through the rumour mill. The complete lack of forward planning is ludicrous and there are some on very high salaries who seem to do very little except to buddy up to the leadership team.
    Such a shame as our peers and colleagues are good people, but everyone is being battered by overwork, lack of support and absolutely zero reward or recognition that it isn't a positive environment anymore. You used to be a bit more flexible with mid level staff, that is also rapidly disappearing . Treat us like children and you'll see more people walk out the door as we all give up doing our best and go find somewhere where we are treated like grown ups and are valued.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Get advice from the coal face before making big decisions you know nothing about. Do an exit interview or two, unbelievable that you don't do at least that much.
    You now have no women and no people of colour in senior management, not ideal for a company selling recruitment expertise. The boys club atmosphere in senior management has been noted for months and it seems to be getting worse. Live out your own values, be honest and communicate with us, not just after the huge changes and redundancies have been made.

3. "My Review"

Current Employee - Resource Coordinator in Briston, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Resource Coordinator in Briston, England (UK)

I have been working at TMP Worldwide UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great community of colleagues, opportunity to work on a variety of volume recruitment campaigns, good central location, training and development opportunities.

Cons

Lack of cohesion between different business functions.

Advice to Management

Give greater autonomy to perform role.

4. "Ever-decreasing circles"

I worked at TMP Worldwide UK full-time

Pros

Some really dedicated and talented people in the organization, who want to do a great job for their clients.

Opportunities to work in a very innovative way with some great brands.

Cons

The Resourcing side of the business has been completely rudderless for the last calendar year and shows no sign of improvement. There is no belief among staff of all levels that there is any direction or strategy.

The client list has been withering away at an alarming rate, matched only by an equally worrying failure in new business pitches.

The cliques operating at all levels of the company have damaged its potential to such an extent that there is a culture of institutionalised failure. Everytime there is a round of redundancies, the Facebook friends who are ineffective in their roles, are kept on and placed in positions where they are even worse. End result, service failure, lost accounts, low margins.

Advice to Management

1. Start taking business decisions based on evidence, not personal friendships.

2. Have an urgent review of key roles now and make some big changes. 2017 was a washout because the "transformation project' never amounted to anything, because nobody is capable of delivering meaningful change. 2018 is heading in the same direction.

3. Start taking responsibility for leading and engaging with a people business, not focusing on balance sheets. Get the people side right and the money will work.

Alternative choices will mean that your business will likely not exist in 18 months time.

"Do not Applyt!!!!"

Current Employee - Reasource in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Reasource in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at TMP Worldwide UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I guess the fact you get free tea and coffee,

Cons

Work piled on and piled on, no communication, no reward, no respect (Unless you sit on the 7th floor) 10-12 Interviews a day everyday, with the expectation to stay happy and warm (not possible) no room to grow and progress (unless your on the 7th floor) very high turnover off staff due to previous reasons, with staff leaving you get more work piled on top, The absolute WORST Resource planning team I have ever seen, but they are the 7th floor so not a bad word said please. bringing in Uni students because they are cheap labor, still expected to do the same amount of work as everyone else just for less money. no over time offered, just made to work an extra hour a day in the busy period.

Advice to Management

Listen

"A good stepping stone."

I worked at TMP Worldwide UK full-time

Pros

it's a company that can give you hands on experience in different areas (assessing, executive search, data analysis) which you can put to use for better run companies on an increased salary.

The offices in London and Bristol are in central locations

The ping pong table is excellent!

Cons

There hasn't been a pay review for years, despite the company making millions of pounds each year.

A lot of managers are very mediocre - reviews and appraisals are infrequent, and are treated as luxuries, not necessities. There isn't a lot of leadership of motivation to be seen from managers.

Glassdoor reviews are seen as more important that engaging with staff.

There is no link between performance and pay - very strange for any modern company.

Advice to Management

review pay urgently

Make managers re-apply for their jobs, and assess them properly!

treat reviews, appraisals and staff with the respect they deserve

Act like a company who makes millions of pounds every year.

Nov 29, 2017 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for leaving TMP a review on Glassdoor. I am sorry you have had a less than positive experience working at TMP. We genuinely value your feedback which will be passed onto our Senior... More

"A resource co-ordinator's life is not a happy one..."

Current Employee - Resource Coordinator in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at TMP Worldwide UK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues - TMP has a knack of hiring really good people to work with. Almost to a one, my colleagues are helpful, supportive, kind and clever. Which is a good job, really.
    Good location for shops and places to drink
    Free teabags and squash?

Cons

In our role, staff attrition has been very high recently - this combined with a hiring freeze appears to have created the impression with management in the company that we are somehow magically able to expand our facility to work, to meet the shortfall within the company. If you like dozens of emails a day telling you to get on the phone when you barely know how to complete the work you already have, you will *love* it here.
    I am sure that senior managers are aware why staff are leaving - pay is not enough for the amount and quality of work being expected, team managers are allowed to get away with all sorts of behaviours to the detriment of their direct reports and it's pot luck, apparently, whether you get on a team where you will be able to use your skills, or simply get stuck on back to back interviews while you watch others around you barely have to pick up the phone. Views and feedback are rarely sought , and when direct feedback has been offered it has not, as far as anyone that I know knows, been taken up.
    There are rumours of redundancies going on in the business in other departments at the moment - company wide comms on these issues are non-existent, which adds to a feeling of general lack of transparency.

Advice to Management

The most senior management in this business chase glassdoor reviews like nothing else I know, but a bunch of 5 star reviews from 'anonymous employees' extolling the virtues of the company do not, on the whole, appear to reflect the views of everyone in the business. Keep giving us the message that we are expendable, and we will eventually take you up on that. I hopethat is not your aim.

8. "Ok..but I did leave"

Former Employee - Research Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Research Consultant in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at TMP Worldwide UK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The working environment is great, lots of brilliant people, relatively relaxed approach to flexible working. Informal dress code and company events.

Cons

There are rarely promotions, not great salaries and no commission/bonus structure despite an emphasis on sales

Advice to Management

Be more transparent - when people hear rumours of a transformation, it makes people uneasy.

Nov 29, 2017 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for the review you have left us on Glassdoor. We make sure our Senior Management Team review the feedback left here so we can work to improve areas where we fall short. Thank you once... More

"High attrition, low morale"

Current Employee - Resource Coordinator
    Current Employee - Resource Coordinator

I have been working at TMP Worldwide UK full-time

Pros

Has signed up to glassdoor.

Cons

A large disconnect between upper management and entry level roles. Good work is not recognised or rewarded, with a non-existent salary-review scheme. Luckily I have no desire to advance in recruitment, but for those who do, this is not the place for you. We are not treated as valued members of the company, but as hamsters in wheels.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of the positive reviews are fabricated, and attempts by upper management to counteract the honest, negative reviews.

Advice to Management

The recent exit of many Resource Coordinators has caused an increase in workload, which doesn't seem to be getting addressed - the TMP careers page says you aren't hiring. If this isn't ratified, the current employees will be under further stress, and will continue to leave, as they are expected to do more work for the same insufficient salary.

Nov 29, 2017 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for leaving a review on Glassdoor. I am sorry that you have not had a positive experience working at TMP. There are clearly areas in which we need to improve and I will ensure you... More

10. "Good, if quiet at times"

Current Employee - Resource Coordinator in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at TMP Worldwide UK (More than a year)

Pros

very friendly and enjoyable work atmosphere. Varied work.

Cons

Can be very quiet in the summer months

Nov 29, 2017 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for leaving us a positive review on Glassdoor, we appreciate it.