TMW Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
TMW Systems President and CEO David W. Wangler
David W. Wangler

Pros
Cons
  • Fast paced growing technology companies are not for everyone (in 4 reviews)

• Middle management issues preventing growth (in 3 reviews)

"TMW Cloud Service"

Current Employee - IT Services in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - IT Services in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at TMW Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture and people I work with both in my office and in other offices across the country and in Canada

Cons

None that I can really think of. I guess better health insurance couldn't hurt, but if it did at least I would be covered to go to the doctor 😄

"Good company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, OH

I have been working at TMW Systems full-time

Pros

Overall, TMW is a good place to work. There has only been 1 layoff in the past 5 years. The company invested in a very modern work space. People here are very friendly and office is casual. Internal promotions are pretty frequent.

Cons

They are in a time of transition. The market needs are shifting so there is an air of uncertainty in the office.

A lot of the same people making decisions for the past 20 years. Would like to see some changes to that.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with your employees and make sure middle management is communicating that information. A lot of stuff gets assumed its known when really, the employees doing the work feel left in the dark on direction and goals.

"Terrible company, good reviews are fake"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at TMW Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office looks modern - a treadmill desk and ping pong table

Cons

The products are stale so many angry customers, old technology and no leadership. It has the appearance of a cool software company but a very poor culture with periodic layoffs and lots of turnover. Stay away - fair salary but higher salaries and much better companies downtown.

Advice to Management

Get out of your own way.

"Accounting Clerk"

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Mayfield Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Mayfield Heights, OH

I have been working at TMW Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoy what I do and the people I work with.

Cons

No potential for growth to increase salary.

Advice to Management

Keep your employee's happy. Happy employee's are more productive.

"No longer the great place it once was."

I worked at TMW Systems full-time

Pros

There are still some good people there but they'll likely leave soon.

Cons

It has grown too large and is no longer the great company it once was. It's now cold and sterile there and it used to be more of a team and family atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Stop caring so much about the bottom line and treat your employees like you care about them!

"ok place"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH

I worked at TMW Systems (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of smart people there. I was impressed by the amount of talent there was in my coworkers.

Cons

everyone is overworked. too busy to help new people.

"This Trucking Company is about to Jack Knife"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at TMW Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The janitor is a great guy. You will not ever meet anyone as nice as him, for the rest of your life.

Plenty of off hours activities. Which helps the h1br contractors meet new people. Very diverse employee base. The employees are always more than happy to chat and know who the problems are.

Put a big smile on your face, play to the office politics and never question anyone higher than you. You will be on your way to management before you know it. Bonus points, if you skip leg days at the office gym.

Cons

During my tenure at TMW, I was promised things that were never delivered. I later found out that mid to upper management use tactics like this to manipulate the developers. The majority of the managers have little to no technical knowledge. This drives very short-sighted deadlines. There is 0 planning. Often, I would catch my manager on chat with his wife. Aside from attending meetings he did nothing, but serve as a puppet to the director of the department.

The systems are not easy to scale/ The code base is full of bugs. You will receive a task and find out you will also have to fix 8 other bugs to complete your task. Management, does not put any consideration in this when they talk to you. It is about the bottom line. The magical number they assign to each work item. The systems you work on usually takes 30 minutes to 1 hour to compile.

Remember, management has no technical knowledge, so they do not understand that server-side changes require compiling. There are no project managers. There is no one to gather requirements. As a developer, you will be expected to, gather all requirements, make wild guesses at the the business rules and write all of the code the first time, with perfection. This is what TMW's managers think the development life cycle is.

But what if I fail to achieve this?
    Often developers are called into their manager's office/cubicle and degraded.

"Maybe you should find a new field to work in"
    "We have a great framework here at TMW, I can create an entire page in 2 hours"
    "If you want to take that vacation you have planned, the work item better be completed before you leave today"

Sometimes they stay silent and tell you that you are doing great. But, at review time they give you an extremely low score, because you failed to do the managers job, as well as yours.

Developers and leads who stick it out and try to make a difference are quickly shot down by the upper management. Essentially laughed out of the room or given a cope out excuse to why their real-life solution will not work at the, "greatest trucking app company in the world".

Those developers and leads quit or give up at their job.

To summarize, upper and middle management have no technical know-how. If they do, it stopped when VB6 became .Net. These are the people setting expectations. You will get to work with them every day.

Every year at least 30 people are laid off. It is quickly swept under the rug. The people are dismissed and employees dare not speak of these lay offs to new employees.

Beware what is promised in the interview.

Advice to Management

Your ignorance is running TMW into the ground. Sales are down because other competitors can turn out changes/updates/patches in hours, test then deploy. You cannot. There is no excuse to create web applications that you must install like software. Quit. Look for a new career. You have no business working in IT.

At the least, spend more time gathering requirements then chatting with friends and family online.

"Change Is Not Always Bad"

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at TMW Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are a lot of great changes going at TMW Systems. They are trying to keep things more collaborative throughout the company and the locations. Various opportunities to expand your skills and work with a lot of different teams and projects. Boot camp is where I learned more about the trucking industry and was very helpful in learning more about the various products offered at TMW. If you want to work for a company where you work with emerging technologies meshing with older technologies, you will really like it here. A great work life balance.

Cons

With all the changes going on, a lot of people are reluctant to the change at first but when they find out what it means, they get right back at it. They are times there is a lot going on and people get overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Management has done a good job of getting these technologies out, but sometimes the early adopters to this technology have issues because they do not have enough information. Hard working employees need to feel appreciated for the efforts of working longer hours.

"Do or Do Not...there is no Try"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at TMW Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some truly terrific people working for TMW. They are bright, talented, conscientious, and have the skills needed to make this company the leader in it's market.

Cons

Unfortunately, many of the people described above are marginalized at best if not outright ignored by short-sighted management or those who are faking their way through their day.

Advice to Management

Focus more on productivity and less on the spotlight

"Horrible company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at TMW Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building and benefits, although some companies downtown offer much better.

Cons

The software is old technology and they can't get the new products to work, which mean front line employees are constantly dealing with angry customers. The executives are busy in crisis, so there is no leadership. Just had significant layoffs in August due to poor company performance.

Advice to Management

Get new management and leadership.