TMX Finance Family of Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Tracy Young

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • This would help with work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management needs to be more involved (in 49 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"General Manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at TMX Finance Family of Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great District Managers that actually care about you and want to see you grow within the company. Great opportunity for promotion within six months. Great people

Cons

sometimes the hours and work can be overbearing, but its easy. Easy process to follow, great company to work for

Advice to Management

Great District Managers that help guide the general managers

Jun 5, 2017 – Talent Strategist, Special Initiatives

We are so glad to hear that you are enjoying your career with us! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We wish you continued success!

2. "Assistant Store Manager"

Current Employee - AssistanStre Manager in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - AssistanStre Manager in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Benefits, PTO right off the bat, Pay is good

Cons

Long Hours, High interest rate

Advice to Management

None

Aug 15, 2017 – Talent Strategist, Special Initiatives

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review!

3. "Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Regional Director of Operations
    Current Employee - Regional Director of Operations

I have been working at TMX Finance Family of Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership cares for their people. The team brings passion for helping others and driving the best possible performance daily. Great company to learn how to manage every aspect of the business. Training and development, mentor program, and career learning paths are some of the best I've seen. We change lives and make a difference in the communities we are a part of. You are rewarded for your performance and pay is very competitive.

Cons

If you are a proven performer you'll love this company.

Aug 11, 2017 – Talent Strategist, Special Initiatives

It sounds like you are enjoying your time with the Company! We're so glad and wish you the best in your career with us! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

"No Direction"

Current Employee - General Manager in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Savannah, GA

Pros

The company is getting better with the technology that they are using. It is easier to get people the money they want.

Cons

They sell you a pipe dream about how much money you can make. Collections is very difficult and the way bonuses are set up it is difficult to attain them. The repossession process is absolutely horrible.

Advice to Management

Fix the repossession process and develop some type of repercussion for the customer not paying the money back. Collection expectations are somewhat unrealistic

Aug 7, 2017 – Talent Strategist, Special Initiatives

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are committed to creating a positive work environment for our team members and an excellent customer experience, so we are disappointed to... More

"Overall a good company to work for. The tools are provided for you to have a successful position."

Current Employee - General Manager in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Fenton, MO

I have been working at TMX Finance Family of Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Knowledge in the finance and collections industry. The ability to control your earnings and run your own business. Ability to learn from multiple management styles through working at multiple locations as you move up.

Cons

Long workdays, and demanding schedules leaves little for employees to be able to plan for their holidays. No coaching available to be promoted after GM.

Advice to Management

A plan for GMs to be able to be promoted is a must. There is little incentive to do your best month after month if there is no other steps after the GM role. Also, show your appreciation for your employees more than an email template on a Birthday. Some companies give gift cards after years of service. I've been here 5 years and have received nothing but a paper certificate (which was delivered months after my anniversary). Let your employees know they mean more than a body to open your doors for business

Jul 28, 2017 – Talent Strategist, Special Initiatives

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad to hear that you are overall enjoying your experience with us!

Regarding training, we have been striving to implement new training... More

"High Competition & Performance Based"

Current Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Room for career growth and advancement based on your performance.

Extremely competitive base salary, earning potential based on store performance.

Upper management personally invested in individual employee growth.

Cons

A lot of personal investment in "building your own business" is required, could upset work/home life balance for some.

Long hours, typically a minimum 48-hour work week for salaried employees. Often more. 8:30am to 7:30pm shifts are standard.

Despite room for advancement, the majority of the time you must be willing to relocate in order to advance to an upper management level, (District & Regional Management.)

Processes and company directives are consistently changing and can be frustrating.

If your store doesn't perform (i.e. beat your previous year numbers) your job security could be jeopardized.

Advice to Management

Continue giving employees the tools to increase their business thereby increasing their salaries.

Ease back on employee social media presence, especially having them be connected to upper management it comes off as awkward and the employees have their work life suddenly faceted into their personal life.

Bring back salaried store managers.

Jul 18, 2017 – Talent Strategist, Special Initiatives

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are glad to see that overall you are having a good experience with us.

Our store hours are geared toward helping our customers when they... More

"Prior Store and General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Pasadena, TX

I worked at TMX Finance Family of Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hourly pay ($12/HR+Bonus for Store Manager and $12/HR no bonus for Customer service representative) / Salary 30K+20K guaranteed bonus (General Manager) is competitive. One only has to worry about selling/providing only one type of product (Title loans) unlike other finance companies. Peers and other fellow employees are fairly united and easy to get along with.

Cons

(Speaking about 3 year Houston area experience) MINIMAL OT in order to reduce expenses = higher profit = bigger bonus for mainly supervisors (DDOs) and higher. Most stores are ran by an average of only 3 employees (General manager, Store manager, Customer service representative). Office hours are from 9-7 M-F, 10-2 Sat (Just recently changed) General Manager is not required, But EXPECTED to work open to close everyday unless collections are not to company standard which in that case He/She is expected to be at office an hour prior to open and an hour after closing to improve results (Most stores fall in this category). If not on salary, only 2 paid holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas) have to work day before and day after in order to get them paid. No vacation approval between mid November until after Christmas (approval given only on case by case) due to "busy season". Collection and business growth goals (even though not impossible to achieve, VERY FEW stores achieve it) are realistically difficult to achieve as the business depends on customer referrals, business to business referrals, store location, in other words GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE and LUCK . The lending procedures keep constantly changing by either city restrictions and regulations or company lending guidance limits (Over 5 last minute changes in less than 2 years and more to come in the near future) and the goal expectations remained and are actually recently increasing. Training is provided by modules through out a 2 week course and by general manager, but it is done at the office during business hours, it is mainly an on the job training routine/learn as you go from day 1 (keep in mind in most stores is only 3 employees, one of them is you, and there multiple other tasks/reports/customers/answering phones, that need to be addressed as well). Turn over is high due to expectations and constant last minute changes, most employees last an average of 2-3 years. Majority of management is external hire who have the experience of spreadsheets and formulas, but little knowledge of what really happens at store level. Promotions past general manager in this area of the company are RARE, 2-3 in the past 3 years (external hires over 8)

Advice to Management

Even though I understand that a few of my comments might be out of your control, most can be addressed and modified in some way shape or form in order to minimize turnover of great employees which in return will increase profits and overall experience..... “The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.”
    ― Max De Pree

Jul 17, 2017 – Talent Strategist, Special Initiatives

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We will consider your specific feedback as we continue to look for ways to improve both our employee and our customer experiences. We wish you the... More

8. "Concerned CA employee"

Current Employee - Concerned Employee in Calif City, CA
    Current Employee - Concerned Employee in Calif City, CA

I have been working at TMX Finance Family of Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are closed on Sundays! that is it.

Cons

All of these reviews from employees are correct, it is a predatory company, that preys on people that need financial help and there is no way the customer can win? Ultimately the customer will lose their car due to the high monthly interest. The leadership lacks professionalism and the company is leaving themselves to a huge labor audit due to the way they manage California meal breaks. They do not have sufficient people to conduct timely breaks, so they do corrections on a weekly basis. It's BAD!

Advice to Management

Lead by example and exhibit leadership, empathy and guide the teams, how to succeed in the business! Don't just send e-mails asking where the loans are or to lower the percents on the slow accounts. Teach them how? Be a leader, don't just point out the obvious.

Aug 18, 2017 – Talent Strategist, Special Initiatives

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that as a current employee you are having a negative experience with us, as our goal is to provide a positive and engaging work environment for all our... More

9. "The most horrible working experience."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TMX Finance Family of Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO and that's it. Nothing about the company has any pros. Store managers doesn't really have an actual role. General managers are inexperienced and hard to work with.

Cons

All bad from frontline managers, general managers, district managers and even the corporate office. Nobody cares about their employees. And those general managers are out of control.

Advice to Management

Do a better job, reprimand general manager when they're at fault.

Aug 18, 2017 – Talent Strategist, Special Initiatives

Thank you for your review. We're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with us, since our goal is to provide a positive and engaging work environment for all our team members.

While we... More

10. "helpdesk"

Former Employee - Sale in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Sale in Carrollton, TX

I worked at TMX Finance Family of Companies full-time

Pros

nothing to review with it

Cons

alot of issues and problems

Aug 17, 2017 – Talent Strategist, Special Initiatives

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review.