TNTP Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
TNTP CEO Dan Weisberg
Dan Weisberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Everyone is very mission-driven and extremely passionate about the work (in 6 reviews)

• Working with uniformly great, hard-working and supportive people is motivating and makes the challenging work feel worth it (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be hard to achieve with the urgency of the work (in 22 reviews)

• It takes longer to get to know your colleagues virtually, and it can be harder to shut off at the end of the day when you work from home (in 3 reviews)

1. "Recruitment associate"

I worked at TNTP part-time

Pros

Flexible hours, nice team dynamic, remote work

Cons

There are no cons that come to mind

2. "Great mission oriented organization that truly cares about its people"

I have been working at TNTP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment, incredibly smart people, everyone wants to do the right thing for their staff and the students we serve.

Cons

Culture of perfectionism and sometimes challenging business environment can mean a lot of hard work without seeing the impact you'd like to see.

3. "More Pros Than Cons"

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at TNTP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-track teacher certification for degrees outside of Education.
    Recognition as a licensed teacher and eligible for full-time salary with benefits.
    Yearlong virtual and classroom coaching.
    Online coursework to develop teaching skills.
    You build a strong network with your cohort peers and training staff.
    It is a tough, rigorous program, but one can make it work if truly called to the teaching profession.

When reading posts that complain about the money that TNTP gets from school districts and charging Teaching Fellows tuition, consider this: Teaching Fellows who successfully complete the 6-week summer training (PST or Pre-Service Training) receive an Alternative License which allows us to teach. This is at no cost to you. It's true that many people relocate and are responsible for living expenses during PST, but that's the choice we make if we want to become teachers. Academy coursework and in-person seminars begin in the fall and tuition is assessed for this portion. The State Department of Education requires student teaching and specific coursework in order to have the Alternative license upgraded to a Standard license in the future. Most people who come through this program do not have degrees in teacher education and if you take courses at a local college, it will cost more than TNTP's tuition.

Cons

You only receive 6 weeks training before being placed in your own classroom.
    PST is very fast-paced and focused on classroom management. The latter is helpful, but not always. They told us that "Teach Like a Champion" (TLaC) techniques were likely to work on 90% of students. I was hired at a school where most of the students represented the other 10%. I had to work a lot harder to bring my classroom to order, but over time the techniques were helpful.
    TNTP has a lot of rules, but they are not always enforced (see below).

Advice to Management

Hold everyone accountable to the same standards. It's understandable that you are trying to retain teachers and work with them, but follow through if you give a deadline for testing requirements to be completed. Several Teaching Fellows went through the program without passing Praxis or other tests and went on to be long-term substitute teachers. This diminishes the image of the program - you recruit the "best" but keep people who are unable to pass the reading, writing, or math portions of their tests. With the course modules, we were advised to treat it like college coursework and put effort into online assignments. Enforce that expectation! Some Teaching Fellows worked really hard while others put in little or no effort (one can tell based on the quality of Blackboard Discussion posts). Everyone in the cohort can see the required posts and there were people who received licensure without meeting the coursework requirements.

4. "Site Manager"

I worked at TNTP full-time

Pros

Diverse portfolio of education work aimed at closing the achievement gap

Cons

Work-life balance can be hard to achieve with the urgency of the work

5. "non profit life"

I worked at TNTP full-time

Pros

flexible and nice people. People who care about you but the position does not offer a lot of mobility.

Cons

mostly remote work, very siloed position.

Advice to Management

more face time with employees

6. "Love it"

I have been working at TNTP full-time

Pros

Great place to work and help kids

Cons

It's pretty hard to keep up the fast pace!

7. "Loving Life with TNTP!"

Current Employee - Leadership Coach
    Current Employee - Leadership Coach

I have been working at TNTP full-time

Pros

Intelligent and Passionate Colleagues, Meaningful Work, Great Benefits, Excellent Work/Life Balance

Cons

Working remotely can be a challenge after being based in a school setting for many years. That said, I'm very happy in my current role!

"Started the program with optimism resulted in a scam"

Pros

Horrible Dont Work here, a complete scam

Cons

They make promises they cant keep

9. "Teacher Development Coach"

Former Employee - Teacher Development Coach in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Teacher Development Coach in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TNTP part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People with non-education degrees/careers get to see "up close" that teaching is NOT easy.....

Cons

Summer boot camp for "Teaching Fellows".....Basically we were tasked with molding 2nd career people into teachers.....

10. "Training and Instruction Manager"

I worked at TNTP part-time

Pros

Actionable feedback and specific training for growth areas.

Cons

There was very little diversity (gender, ethnicity, etc. ) among full-time staff.