TNTP Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TNTP CEO Dan Weisberg
Dan Weisberg

Pros
  • TNTP has great flexibility and benefits, allowing most employees to work from home (in 5 reviews)

• Working with uniformly great, hard-working and supportive people is motivating and makes the challenging work feel worth it (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to set clear boundaries and do what you need to do for work-life balance (in 21 reviews)

• I like to think I am generally pretty amiable and I am used to hard core urgency in other intense ed-reform organizations (in 2 reviews)

"Flexible schedule"

Current Employee - Recruitment Associate
    Current Employee - Recruitment Associate

I have been working at TNTP part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am a mom to 3 young children (ages 6, 5, and 2), and at TNTP I've been able to work part-time from home for the last 3 years. I worked 30 hours/week and was considered a salaried employee and received benefits and paid time off. This was such a rare find that I'm so grateful for - although the pay is quite low (they are a nonprofit, and my previous career was on Wall Street, so I took quite a salary hit), I like being able to keep my foot in the door to keep my skills sharp and still have flexibility to be there for my family. I just recently decided to reduce my hours so that I could spend more time with the kids, and take them to their after school activities, and TNTP and my team has been great to allow me the flexibility to become a PT hourly employee at 20 hours/week. Although I'm no longer salaried, and thus don't receive benefits or PTO, I am able to keep my 403b and continue to receive contributions from TNTP.

Cons

Their HR is still in its infancy, and they still have a long way to go regarding employee policies. For example, when I was salaried, I was technically non-exempt, which means that I should have been paid for any time worked over 30 hours/week. I didn't know this, and HR didn't know this until after I'd been working there for over 2.5 years. But they made up for it by giving me all the back-pay based on the hours that I logged...of course if I had known that I'd be paid for hours worked over 30 hours/week, I would have been more diligent in recording my time!

2. "Teacher Development Coach"

Former Employee - Teacher Development Coach in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Teacher Development Coach in Atlanta, GA

I worked at TNTP part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People with non-education degrees/careers get to see "up close" that teaching is NOT easy.....

Cons

Summer boot camp for "Teaching Fellows".....Basically we were tasked with molding 2nd career people into teachers.....

3. "Training and Instruction Manager"

I worked at TNTP part-time

Pros

Actionable feedback and specific training for growth areas.

Cons

There was very little diversity (gender, ethnicity, etc. ) among full-time staff.

5. "On the decline"

I have been working at TNTP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

TNTP has pockets of great people who are knowledgeable and motivated. Working from home provides good flexibility.

Cons

The leadership is a mess. There is little vision in the organization. Specific management teams are allowed to act in unprofessional ways and mistreat team members while executive teams turn a blind eye. There is a lack of willingness to admit or reflect on challenges resulting in stagnation of work. Certain people are allowed to skate by if they are well connected. Pay differences for same level employees with similar duties are stark--you will make more money if you are well connected not if you show results. HR processes are in the infancy stage with constant mistakes. Diversity and inclusion is lip service--no real action and constant microagressions from specific VPs.

Advice to Management

Get your senior leadership in line and hold them accountable even if they generate revenue or present themselves well. You have good people who are being stifled and leaving because of ineffective management. At this rate the organization will not survive too much longer.

6. "Job Review"

Pros

Virtual; job pays your internet and home phone

Cons

50+ hours per week; management quality varies

"SCAM"

Pros

They get you into the school faster that is it.

Cons

They say they are going to TEACH you how to become a great teacher and get you into the classroom ready to go. They train you all summer and work you for FREE. Then they charge an ridiculous amount of money to be in the program which most schools DON'T even hire from them anymore because the school system was a scam. please DON'T waste your time or money on them find you a reputable lateral entry program to get into. I wouldnt of gave them a one but it made me.

Advice to Management

Be up front and honest with people about the program. And especially about the ALL the fees you have to pay to be apart of it and you get NO REAL SUPPORT.

8. "Great experience, great culture."

Former Employee - Program Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Memphis, TN

Pros

Passionate, mission-driven culture. Incredibly smart and fun co-workers. Flexible work locations in most cases, awesome benefits.

Cons

Compensation, work-life balance can be tricky.

"Getting worse over time"

Pros

The benefits are pretty good

Cons

Leadership and management are out of touch with reality. Micromanagement is a common occurrence and they do not practice what they preach in terms of best practice. There is limited to no opportunity for growth and when there is growth, they will take advantage of you. Some execs can't take constructive criticism and will go on personal crusades to drive you out.

Advice to Management

Look no further than your own engagement survey results for what your employees are thinking. The results are poor and getting worse yet no one really cares or is reading between the lines as to who/what is responsible for the results. Start being honest with yourselves and look internally.

"Strong culture, important work"

I have been working at TNTP full-time

Pros

Working with uniformly great, hard-working and supportive people is motivating and makes the challenging work feel worth it. There is so much different work going on that you can learn and get exposure to new areas and skills easily. Strong performance is expected. When I hear horror stories about working at other organizations that do similar work or dysfunctional corporate environments, I feel grateful to have a vastly different experience.

Cons

The work is tough and the hours can be long, similar to many non-profits or the life of a teacher. If you're not very self-motivated or able to work in a largely virtual setting, you won't be successful.

Advice to Management

Continue to support and recognize staff. Highlight managers who are successful at developing individuals and their teams. Differentiate senior roles so people can focus on what they are best at.

TNTP Response

May 2, 2016 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback.

"on the decline"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at TNTP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission. Dedicated and enthusiastic young people.Excellent benefits and above average salaries for a non-profit.

Cons

Aspirational culture is a predatory marketing tool. Matrix management model is confusing, counterproductive, and favors lack of accountability. Constantly morphing business products are marginally effective at best and, at worst, exploiting poor communities. "Call for innovation" initiative is a sign that they are out of ideas.

Advice to Management

Since the reorg, leadership is growing increasingly out of touch. Find your voice before the brain drain damages the org beyond repair.