TNTP Teaching Fellows Reviews

3.4
TNTP Teaching Fellows CEO Daniel Weisberg
Daniel Weisberg
0 Rating
Pros
  • "In my experience, most of the fellows who made it through the summer training got jobs, made it through the next school year and received certification(in 8 reviews)

• "Access to a network across New Orleans(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "In 2017, TNTP/TeachNOLA received(in 13 reviews)

• "The summer training is intense but effective(in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Loved my experience at TNTP, would not be where I am without it!"

Former Employee - Fellow

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

The summer I spent with Roots LA under TNTP was hands down one of the best experiences of my life! It was certainly a tough 6 weeks in that I had to work very hard and learn a lot of material in a short period of time, but it was worth it in the end. The amount of knowledge and confidence I am taking away from this program is amazing, and I truly feel like the field experience I got reinforced my passion for teaching. We were matched with a mentor teacher during the program who was a master teacher in whatever subject we were teaching, and got to co-teach for four weeks in an actual summer school classroom. During our field experience, we got constant feedback from our mentor teachers on how to improve, how to lesson plan efficiently, and how to overall be the best teacher we can be. The last two weeks of the program included visits from charter schools, who watched us as we taught, and then invited the ones they saw potential in to interview for teaching positions at their schools after graduation. Overall, this summer was one of the best well spent for me, and I would not be where I am without it!

Cons

This is a program that requires a lot of commitment during it's 6-week duration, and a lot of time will be spent receiving constructive feedback and working to improve.

2. "Teaching with teachNOLA"

Current Employee - Teacher in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good development and additional support for Black teachers

Cons

Intense summer training and hard work

Continue reading
  3. "Great Experience, a Lot of Work"

Former Employee - Teaching Fellow in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows part-time for less than a year

Pros

Establish Connection Great Career Opportunities Superb Skill/Resume Builder Connections to Students

Cons

Large Time Commitment High Workload A Lot to Learn in a Short Period

4. "I learned to teach thanks to TNTP Teaching Fellows"

Former Employee - Fellow

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time

Pros

Committed, talented leaders and colleagues, who are willing to do whatever it takes for kids. Coaches who have a wealth of knowledge to draw from, and who are committed to Fellows learning and development. Access to a network across New Orleans.

Cons

Teaching is a huge commitment, and teachNOLA's summer institute reflects that. Expect to work really hard over the summer. However, I think this preparation was integral to the success I've had since!

5. "Thank you, TeachNOLA!"

Former Employee - Coach/Fellow

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows part-time

Pros

TeachNOLA helped me to achieve my truest potential inside and outside of the classroom. I have been involved with the organization in multiple capacities since 2013 and have truly grown in my teaching and leadership skills. I received support as a new teacher, a teacher coach, facilitator, and school leader. Each staff member was truly committed to the mission of putting the best teachers in front of our kids in New Orleans. I would not be the teacher or administrator that I am without TeachNOLA.

Cons

Be ready to work hard. Teaching is a very difficult profession and this organization holds you to rigorous standards. This can be seen as a con for some, but it is necessary to ensure that our students get the most prepared and proficient teachers they can.

"BCTR Cohort member"

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with wonderful people and receive terrific training and feedback Guaranteed a job as a teacher Lot of growth and feedback to facilitate growth Supportive environment

Cons

Not paid for summer training. A little difficult to make ends meet during PST Regimented way of doing things that isn’t best for a certain group of kids For some people who didn’t make it through the program, they didn’t tell them until the very last day. There’s a lack of transparency to anyone who falls in the 1.90-2.40 range of “consider additional evidence” to see if they make it through training.

"Would Not Recommend"

1.0
    Former Employee - Resident in Baltimore, MD

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

The residents you meet in the program are amazing. That's about it.

Cons

do NOT do this program. there are much better teaching programs out there. i had people in my cohort who passed both praxis exams, who were there early every single day, who turned in their lesson plans on time and were never late,who were always polite,professional, and dressed appropiately who were cut on the VERY LAST DAY. they were cut over people who are sitting in classrooms right now who haven't passed EITHER praxis exam, who were regularly late, who were unprofessional, some people taught lessons completely wrong, turned in lesson plans late, etc. and were kept as they were considered "favorites". the observations are completely subjective and your fate is left to whoever is observing you that day. the coaches are completely unprofessional: they would openly mock certain residents within earshot of other residents, they weren't prepared themselves, they didn't know how to answer questions, if residents asked questions they didn't like-the resident was berated for it in front of the entire cohort. i almost wish i hadn't passed because now i face down a year of random observations, three hour weekly seminars, and a huge tuition fee to a program i no longer believe in. they preach they have baltimore students in mind during every single step of the process but they do not. they would not have cut such creative, thoughtful, amazing people who were completely blindsided on the very last day and kept medicore people who they just favored. certain people who fell into the "passing with considerations" bucket were told repeatedly they had nothing to worry about from their coaches and then were cut. there is a major communication problem. this program sucks. do not move across the country for this program. do not waste your time. you could potentially be a model resident and be cut for no apparent reason (and given no real explanation as to why you were cut either)

Continue reading
  8. "Great job to gain experience"

4.0
    Former Employee - Tutor in Selma, CA

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows part-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay for working 20 hours a week. Working with the kids is amazing

Cons

A lot of paperwork if required that is basically repetitive.

"Short-sighted. Misses the target in providing comprehensive teaching strategies."

2.0
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in New Orleans, LA

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can get your teaching certificate investing less time and money than a traditional program. Read Teach Like a Champion for an explanation of how they.d like to program you.

Cons

The summer program is very intense, which would be fine if you felt like the time was being used wisely. In the morning you will teach summer school, not the worst because it's only 1-2 hours of active teach. Except...the curriculum they provide expects you to teach a 90 minute lesson in 60 minutes, then move right on to the next one, never mind any gaps in understanding. They talk about then gloss over the importance of many things that go into being an effective teacher. Basically it does a lot of teaching based on data about certain teacher behaviors, but has no heart.

10. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Bilingual Elementary School Teacher

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hours are not too bad if you manage

Cons

The pay could definitely be more

Found 67 reviews