KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Updated Feb 18, 2021

Found 72 of over 84 reviews

TNTP Teaching Fellows CEO Daniel Weisberg
Daniel Weisberg
Pros
  • "My coaches were always available to help me through whatever I needed(in 8 reviews)

• "In my experience, most of the fellows who made it through the summer training got jobs, made it through the next school year and received certification(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "In 2017, TNTP/TeachNOLA received(in 13 reviews)

• "The summer training is intense but effective(in 11 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I would recommend teachNOLA to ANYONE ready to dive all in to serving students in the classroom!

Sep 25, 2020 - Performance Development Coach in New Orleans, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

TeachNOLA is a tightknit program with great hands on support and a targeted curriculum to prepare Fellows for communicating content as well as building strong relationships and learning partnerships with students. Fellows are taught transferable skills that can be used in any teaching capacity as well as specific instruction in the area in which they will be certified. They have direct access to some of the best teachers in the city and learn from them day in and day out, while receiving intentional feedback to further their personal development. Most importantly, Fellows are taught to be culturally responsive teachers because at teachNOLA we know no significant learning can be done without a relationship between the student and teachers.

Cons

This program is intentionally designed to be intense so that Fellows will be prepared for the everyday rigor of teaching students in the classroom. Fellows will have a full day of teaching summer school and being developed and still be expected to finish assignments in the evenings. This truly mirrors what will be expected of them as full time teachers.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Loved my experience at TNTP, would not be where I am without it!

Feb 19, 2020 - Fellow
      Business Outlook

Pros

The summer I spent with Roots LA under TNTP was hands down one of the best experiences of my life! It was certainly a tough 6 weeks in that I had to work very hard and learn a lot of material in a short period of time, but it was worth it in the end. The amount of knowledge and confidence I am taking away from this program is amazing, and I truly feel like the field experience I got reinforced my passion for teaching. We were matched with a mentor teacher during the program who was a master teacher in whatever subject we were teaching, and got to co-teach for four weeks in an actual summer school classroom. During our field experience, we got constant feedback from our mentor teachers on how to improve, how to lesson plan efficiently, and how to overall be the best teacher we can be. The last two weeks of the program included visits from charter schools, who watched us as we taught, and then invited the ones they saw potential in to interview for teaching positions at their schools after graduation. Overall, this summer was one of the best well spent for me, and I would not be where I am without it!

Cons

This is a program that requires a lot of commitment during it's 6-week duration, and a lot of time will be spent receiving constructive feedback and working to improve.

1 person found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

No support past the 5 week program

Feb 18, 2021 - Teacher in New Orleans, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good information may be provided during training.

Cons

No support past the training

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

This program is garbage.

Nov 17, 2020 - Cohort Member in Las Vegas, NV
      Business Outlook

Pros

The only pro is the people I met in the program.

Cons

The program is extremely unorganized and very time-consuming on material that is irrelevant and will not help you in the classroom, which results in lots of valuable time wasted. They just want your money.

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Run fast!

Aug 30, 2020 - Resident in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

You meet some amazing people who have a passion to teach.

Cons

They are completely bias to any Baltimore native. Even if you have zero teaching skills. The coaches are liars, unprofessional and show favoritism. Its an expensive program that you really dont need because its not hard to be a teacher in Baltimore. They also lie to you about job placement.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Dishonest and Unorganized Company

Aug 8, 2020 - Pt Employee in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Teams have a strong bond and understand employees generally aren't given what is needed from those who manage teams.

Cons

Managers are unorganized, non-responsive, and ask employees to complete unethical tasks just so each team can attempt to reach the unrealistic goals that are developed by the company.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Teaching with teachNOLA

Mar 4, 2020 - Teacher in New Orleans, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good development and additional support for Black teachers

Cons

Intense summer training and hard work

8. 5.0
      Former Employee

Thank you, TeachNOLA!

Dec 11, 2019 - Coach/Fellow
      Business Outlook

Pros

TeachNOLA helped me to achieve my truest potential inside and outside of the classroom. I have been involved with the organization in multiple capacities since 2013 and have truly grown in my teaching and leadership skills. I received support as a new teacher, a teacher coach, facilitator, and school leader. Each staff member was truly committed to the mission of putting the best teachers in front of our kids in New Orleans. I would not be the teacher or administrator that I am without TeachNOLA.

Cons

Be ready to work hard. Teaching is a very difficult profession and this organization holds you to rigorous standards. This can be seen as a con for some, but it is necessary to ensure that our students get the most prepared and proficient teachers they can.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee

I learned to teach thanks to TNTP Teaching Fellows

Dec 19, 2019 - Fellow
      Business Outlook

Pros

Committed, talented leaders and colleagues, who are willing to do whatever it takes for kids. Coaches who have a wealth of knowledge to draw from, and who are committed to Fellows learning and development. Access to a network across New Orleans.

Cons

Teaching is a huge commitment, and teachNOLA's summer institute reflects that. Expect to work really hard over the summer. However, I think this preparation was integral to the success I've had since!

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Short-sighted. Misses the target in providing comprehensive teaching strategies.

May 28, 2019 - Lead Teacher in New Orleans, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can get your teaching certificate investing less time and money than a traditional program. Read Teach Like a Champion for an explanation of how they.d like to program you.

Cons

The summer program is very intense, which would be fine if you felt like the time was being used wisely. In the morning you will teach summer school, not the worst because it's only 1-2 hours of active teach. Except...the curriculum they provide expects you to teach a 90 minute lesson in 60 minutes, then move right on to the next one, never mind any gaps in understanding. They talk about then gloss over the importance of many things that go into being an effective teacher. Basically it does a lot of teaching based on data about certain teacher behaviors, but has no heart.

4 people found this review helpful