TNTP Teaching Fellows "summer training" Reviews | Glassdoor

TNTP Teaching Fellows Employee Reviews about "summer training"

Updated Mar 4, 2020

3.2
TNTP Teaching Fellows CEO Daniel Weisberg
Daniel Weisberg
0 Rating
Pros
  • "You will have a full time teaching position in the fall making full salary(in 9 reviews)

• "In my experience, most of the fellows who made it through the summer training got jobs, made it through the next school year and received certification(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "In 2017, TNTP/TeachNOLA received(in 13 reviews)

• "There is absolutely no support beyond the 6 week summer training(in 11 reviews)

Reviews about "summer training"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Teaching with teachNOLA"

Current Employee - Teacher in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good development and additional support for Black teachers

Cons

Intense summer training and hard work

TNTP Teaching Fellows2020-03-04

"BCTR Cohort member"

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with wonderful people and receive terrific training and feedback Guaranteed a job as a teacher Lot of growth and feedback to facilitate growth Supportive environment

Cons

Not paid for summer training. A little difficult to make ends meet during PST Regimented way of doing things that isn’t best for a certain group of kids For some people who didn’t make it through the program, they didn’t tell them until the very last day. There’s a lack of transparency to anyone who falls in the 1.90-2.40 range of “consider additional evidence” to see if they make it through training.

TNTP Teaching Fellows2019-08-07

"Wonderful Program!"

Former Employee - TNTP Fellow in Nashville, TN

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for more than a year

Pros

This program prepared me to be an effective teacher.

Cons

The summer training is intense but effective.

TNTP Teaching Fellows2018-07-27

"Horrible experience- but worth it for the end product?"

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time

Pros

You are able to receive a teaching certificate for much cheaper than anywhere else. A very fast track to becoming a full time, certified teacher. I was teaching my own classroom (with salary) within 3 months of starting the program, and I have my completed certificate within a year.

Cons

I completed the program from 2014-2015 and I still have anxiety and flashbacks about it, hence why I feel I needed to leave a review a few years later. The summer training is awful. You will be miserable, lack sleep, and any resemblance of a social life. You will teach in classrooms that you do not choose (the least of any issue), you will be trained boot-camp style, you will be yelled at, you will be made to feel insignificant, and you will be expected to write insane lesson plans all night, every day for the entire summer. You won't be able to take any sick days, or take any time off to interview for jobs. You'll be "required" to take the first job offered to you. You will suffer the whole year while you teach your first year through pop-up observations. During one of my observations, the "coach" advised me to keep a vibrating timer to buzz off EVERY 30 SECONDS to check for understanding. Honestly, it was one of the hardest and most miserable years of my life. But- I did pass and was able to leave that craziness behind and actually enjoy teaching. Prepare yourself- but might be worth it in the end.

TNTP Teaching Fellows2018-06-05
  5. "Teaching Fellows Review"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teaching Fellows is an incredible program in Indianapolis that prepares you to be a successful teacher in the classroom. During my summer training, I learned useful tools that allow me to be an excellent teacher and throughout the school year they came into my classroom and coached me. Through this coaching I was able to sharpen my skills and ensure that my students get the best education possible.

Cons

Teaching Fellows is a big commitment and a lot of work. If you are not willing to put in the time and effort, then this program is not for you. You need to be passionate about education and servicing underserved schools as well as willing to dedicate your time over the summer to grow and learn.

TNTP Teaching Fellows2018-01-19
  6. "Intense training and developmental program"

Current Employee - High School Special Education Teacher in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

*This transition to teach program is an excellent program for serious adults who want to enter the classroom and teach our youth *They give you an opportunity to teach during their summer training program to allow you to practice your skill before entering the classroom as a full-time teacher during the school year *This program offers a copious amount of feedback to help you grow into a fully functional educator *Upon completion of the program you earn a M.A. in Teaching

Cons

*There are many times you feel unappriciated during your time of growth during your first year of teaching *The STRESS of teaching is no joke, if you can't handle multi-tasking on a small level this is NOT for you. I repeat, you have to be able to prioritize want is absolutely necessary and what you want *You have to complete a Master's of Arts in Teaching while teaching in the classroom, so this can cause some conflict if you have a spouse and children

TNTP Teaching Fellows2018-01-19

"Bitter-Sweet"

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will have a full time teaching position in the fall making full salary. The 6,200 you pay for it is MUCH cheaper than anything you would ever pay at a college. Plus in Baltimore you get 75% of it back (as long as you're still teaching for the 2 years after receiving the refund). Many reviewers on here seem angry that they were cut or weren't aware how much hard work goes into teaching. The only people who were cut from our summer training were either totally unprofessional or clearly had no idea what they were doing in the classroom after 6 weeks of training. Do what they tell you to do and you'll pass. I was also lucky enough to be in a great group of fellows and a good coach.

Cons

The summer program was the worst 6 weeks of my life. The other fellows and some of the coaches are great, but teaching from 8:00 - 11:30 and then sitting in session from 12:30 - 6:00 was awful. To be fair I only actually taught for one hour in the morning, but I was still expected to be planning and working at the school while I was not teaching. Other people were not so lucky and had to teach for 3 hours a day and make 3 times as many plans as me. I don't know how they survived considering BCTR makes you write lengthy lesson plans where it would take anywhere from 1 - 2 hours just to make an hours worth for me. It is kind of a toss up what your summer teaching will be like and it can make it or break it for you. Some people I knew who would have made great teachers quit because their summer placement was so terrible. Also, I was teaching 7th/8th graders yet my license is in elementary education. Technically, in Baltimore you CANNOT teach above 6th grade with an elem license. I was very unhappy with this placement as it did not reflect the age group I would be working with in the fall. If you have any problems like that, you'll get a scripted response and told to deal with it because they shove down our throats that we need to be "adaptable" (which they use as an excuse to make us do whatever they want and to cover for their own incompetence and lack of planning). However, I think these issues have more to do with City Schools as a whole, which are a bureaucratic, awful mess. Overall, I did not feel prepared for the fall and too much time was spent on class room management and not actual teaching. Not to mention all the "work culture" nonsense they force you to participate in which comes off as forced and phony.

TNTP Teaching Fellows2017-10-08

"Take both these reviews and the propaganda with a grain of salt."

Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows for more than a year

Pros

The fastest, cheapest route to licensure. I decided to become a teacher in May, had a classroom and a full paycheck in August, and am now fully certified. In my experience, most of the fellows who made it through the summer training got jobs, made it through the next school year and received certification. I know some of the reviews here say you only have a 10% chance... that is too low, I think. At my summer site, about 55% of the fellows made it through the summer program, and about 80% of them got certification... so that's about a 44% pass rate for everyone, and if you don't count the ones who were clearly not cut out for teaching and dropped out early on, that rises to about 60%. Not amazing odds, but way better than 10%. I should note that my site had the highest drop-out rate that summer, but I think the ones who made it from my site did better the following school year, so I think these percentages are pretty close. You will meet some cool people and learn a lot about teaching... different things than you would learn from studying education.

Cons

The summer academy is really intense, and if you're making a lot of sacrifices to go through it, it's a big risk. About half of the fellows at my site dropped out or were cut during the summer, some on the very last day. I made it, just barely in "green," but it was the worst 6 weeks of my life. I was constantly sleep-deprived, stressed and anxious. There's some luck involved in terms of who you get as your site coordinator, your coach, your students, etc... and it stinks if you get dealt a bad hand and fail because of it. Some of the TNTP staff is really nice, but sometimes I felt like they were mocking us for struggling in the summer program when they had no idea (or had forgotten) how grueling and scary it was for us. Not sure whether this should be a "Pro" or a "Con," but a dirty little secret... you can end the summer on "Green" (pass) "Red" (instant fail if you go too far into red at any point to come back out) or "Yellow" (they'll think about it.) Basically, if you end on "Yellow," they'll pass you if you have a job lined up and fail you if you don't.

TNTP Teaching Fellows2017-04-13
  9. "“2016 Fellow with teachNOLA.”"

I have been working at TNTP Teaching Fellows

Pros

Expert coaches provide training that enables you to master the craft of great teaching. The summer training is focused around intense classroom practice centered around actual teaching experience and focused practice on core skills such as creating a positive classroom culture, and delivering content clearly. Provide ample opportunity to practice, reflect and improve with personalized tailored constructive feedback until essential techniques become second nature. Through the first year of teaching experience and gaining certification, TNTP Academy sets clear expectations and continually assesses your progress as a new teacher. The coaches identify areas of growth and customize coursework to address those needs. Teacher certification after clearing ACE observations is awarded only to new teachers who have demonstrated mastery of instructional skills and a consistent ability to help their students learn and thrive. Teach NOLA ensures that all teacher fellows enter the classroom ready to make a strong start and a life time of difference for students who need them the most. Teach NOLA trains fellows to not just get certified but to be a teacher with a proven track record of classroom success.

Cons

Very intense and rigorous through out the year.

TNTP Teaching Fellows2017-02-15

"Wish it was possible to give 0 stars."

in Washington, DC

I worked at TNTP Teaching Fellows

Pros

In theory, getting certified in a year sounds nice. I also met some of the greatest people through this program.

Cons

Where to start... There is absolutely no support beyond the 6 week summer training. TNTP assigns "virtual" coaches that live around the country. My coach had 60 other fellows to coach and as you could imagine, could not coach any of us in the way that a first year teacher in the inner city needs. My suggestion- find another program or go back and get your masters. Don't waste your time or money here. This company is all about making money and don't care if you succeed or not.

TNTP Teaching Fellows2016-06-25