TNTP "work from home" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

TNTP Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Oct 25, 2019

3.8
TNTP CEO Dan Weisberg
Dan Weisberg
Pros
  • "The flexibility to work from home is a perk(in 11 reviews)

• "Working with uniformly great, hard-working and supportive people is motivating and makes the challenging work feel worth it(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can be tough at times(in 25 reviews)

• "They tell you in the interview that the average week is at least 50 hours(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews

"Top Tier Ed Nonprofit Org"

Current Employee - Partner

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Like most ed nonprofits, work-life balance is tough at TNTP, but it has less "churn and burn" than similar orgs. I've been here for 4 years, but most colleagues at my level have been here for 5-10. Other places that I've worked have had really rigid tracks for promotion, but TNTP is a place that values keeping talented people, even if that means creating a new role or a hybrid role for them. I feel confident that as long as I'm proving my value to the org, TNTP will find a place for me, and you don't always feel that security in other organizations. - Co-workers are amazing - everyone is smart, hard-working, and mission-driven. Jerks don't do well here. You have to be great at your job, but also a thoughtful colleague. - Compensation and benefits are very competitive for our field. - I genuinely feel like TNTP is a reflective organization. I've seen changes (both big and small) in the time that I've worked here. No org will ever be perfect, but it makes all the difference to work at a place that is actively committed to improvement - both in terms of the work itself, but also employee engagement and satisfaction.

Cons

- The virtual working environment isn't for everybody. Most of us work from home and when most of your interactions with colleagues are via email/conference call/video call, it can take longer to really feel like you have meaningful connections with your colleagues. I now have coworkers that I truly love and trust, but it took me a solid year to feel that way - when you go into a physical office those bonds form much more quickly. - Quality of experience as a staff member largely depends on the quality of your manager. TNTP values developing strong managers more than most orgs that I've worked for, but there is still a normal variance here - some folks are outstanding managers, most are at least solid, and some are not good. If you interview to work for TNTP, don't be afraid to ask really direct questions to the person that would be your manager, because your experience as a staff member will be hugely impacted by how well you work with that person.

TNTP2015-09-14

"Overall great experience"

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with incredibly competent and passionate coworkers, very flexible workplace in lots of ways - work from home, follow interests and shift internally to work on different types of work, expectation of supportive managers, there's a lot of pros.

Cons

Sometimes out of touch leadership, often heavy workload, sometimes patronizing approach to consulting, sometimes inconsistent management

TNTP2019-10-25

"Partner, Client Team (Regional)"

Current Employee - Client Partner in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working from home and setting own schedule is a definite plus for those of us with young children. Autonomy is helpful.

Cons

This executive leadership group is the pits. Incestuous, plays favorites, makes unrealistic demands of teams, hypocritical, not transparent. In some organizations, there are people at the top of the food chain who truly do not know how to “lead”. This is that organization. Any flowery 5 star reviews to the contrary have likely been posted by HR.

TNTP2019-10-19

"Fine if you want flexibility but don’t care about advancement"

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoy the content of my work. I get to work with passionate, intelligent, skilled colleagues. I have met many people at TNTP who are extremely committed to their work and bring a wide variety of experiences and talents. My current manager is extremely supportive. Working from home is of course a luxury as well.

Cons

Insulting salaries, especially given the expectation that staff work 50 hours a week (come on - this isn’t just exploitative, it’s also at odds with management best practices). Nonexistent career growth unless you’re either lucky enough to be staffed on something high profile or a relentless self promoter. There are no promotion cycles. You’re lucky if a position a level above yours opens up at all, and if it does it almost always means you would have to switch to a different team that you don’t have the interest or expertise to work on. This rewards ruthless ambition and punishes loyalty and consistency. Diversity and inclusion is supposedly a priority but the (mostly white) leadership team makes constant missteps in this area, and nothing really seems to change. There is no accountability for bad managers, especially if they have done the politicking to get in good with people above them. Having a bad manager undermines your entire trajectory at TNTP because they have total control over your staffing and your evaluation.

TNTP2019-07-03

"Talks the talk, does not walk the walk"

I worked at TNTP full-time

Pros

-Great benefits -Working from home could be an option

Cons

Talks a lot about diversity, equity and inclusion but does not practice what it preaches in the workplace. Some people are valued more than others and it will show come promotion time. If you're not a certain type of person, you will not advance, regardless of your performance. Internal survey results of the last 2 years show this but management is more concerned about trying to fool its employees into thinking they're doing something about it when they're actually not. Most employees can see right through this which is why the same issue comes up survey after survey. It is no wonder so many people have left in the last year; TNTP is on a serious decline.

TNTP2018-02-26

"On the decline"

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

TNTP has pockets of great people who are knowledgeable and motivated. Working from home provides good flexibility.

Cons

The leadership is a mess. There is little vision in the organization. Specific management teams are allowed to act in unprofessional ways and mistreat team members while executive teams turn a blind eye. There is a lack of willingness to admit or reflect on challenges resulting in stagnation of work. Certain people are allowed to skate by if they are well connected. Pay differences for same level employees with similar duties are stark--you will make more money if you are well connected not if you show results. HR processes are in the infancy stage with constant mistakes. Diversity and inclusion is lip service--no real action and constant microagressions from specific VPs.

TNTP2017-02-09

"Highs and Lows"

Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than a year

Pros

TNTP has great flexibility and benefits, allowing most employees to work from home. They value great management and professional development.

Cons

The work moves extremely fast, and they demand a lot from their employees. For many the work life balance is pretty impossible. They are a remote organization which has inherent challenges, some being communicating change and developing interpersonal relationships.

TNTP2016-01-14

"A cog in a machine"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-You may be on the road a lot, but the flexibility of working from home when you aren't on the road is an amazing perk that can't be overstated. -Benefits are generally really good as well, although sadly on a downward trajectory. -The bar for the quality of work is generally really high. After a while at TNTP, it is easy to forget that in most work environments, the majority of your colleagues aren't are smart, competent, motivated and articulate.

Cons

In terms of overall direction, the organization has been going through a painful reorganization and feels rudderless. However, this might be short-term pain, while TNTP's biggest cons are rooted in its culture. There is a major gap between how little TNTP shows it values its employees, and how much management constantly talks about how much employees are valued. Senior management clearly works for a different company than the majority of the staff. The hypocrisy between what TNTP preaches as human capital management consultants, and what TNTP practices internally is pretty astounding. A couple of examples: As most reviewers have noted, work-life balance is a serious and perennial problem. Management periodically pretends to care, offering up incredibly lame, ineffective "solutions," (e.g. a series of "tips" on how to work more efficiently). The subtext of these initiatives is always (1) some people like working all the time, so if you don't, the problem is really you, or (2) you're probably just inefficient. Thankfully, these meaningless gestures never seem to last longer than a few weeks. "You are ultimately responsible for your own career growth" is the message explicitly communicated to employees. This is a convenient way of offloading responsibility for developing staff onto employees. Ironically, TNTP touts the career opportunities and professional development it offers professionals...but they only apply to a small portion of the staff. Career opportunities are very political. When they are not about good politicking, they are pretty much luck of the draw, dependent on whether or not you get staffed on a project that is high-profile. It is impossible to truly "own" your own development when you get no say on what you work on. No amount of trainings or PDs attended will actually further your career at TNTP; you need to demonstrate that you have already done the work of the position at the next rung on the ladder. (BTW, nothing you've done prior to your employment at TNTP to fulfill this is considered valid.) I strongly believe that poor opportunities are a huge contributor to employee turnover, and personally know numerous employees who have left in frustration over stagnant career growth.

TNTP2015-08-18
  9. "Well-Structured Work From Home Experience"

Former Contractor - Summer Fellow

I worked at TNTP for less than a year

Pros

-Supportive, feedback-oriented environment -Very active online community connecting remote employees to each other -Trust new hires to take on important work -Good policies and culture around family leave

Cons

-Work-from-home set-up does limit how much you can learn from colleagues

TNTP2015-02-17

"Good people; too much change and hard to feel like you're succeeding"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at TNTP full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are amazing, very driven and invested in the organization's mission to help all students get a great education. The leadership is strong and they talk a good game on work-life balance and supporting staff development, but it's not always realized in practice. Many staff work from home, which I really appreciate, but just know that it can be isolating at times and also it's hard to stop working...ever. There are good opportunities for growth for some, but not all employees (even those who do well in their roles) because more senior staff do tend to stick around a long time and there doesn't seem to be a real focus on helping talented people transition to new roles outside their core experience area when there are no growth opportunities within their current departments.

Cons

The organization has always been adaptive, but the pace of change over the past few years has been disorienting and at times demoralizing. Long hours are the norm and expected (they tell you 10+/hour days on hiring, but that can often be low) and it can be difficult to unplug. Given how hard we work and how much we care, it can be frustrating to feel like the organization keeps switching gears to keep up with market developments - it makes you feel like all that hard work has been wasted effort. It also feels like they are pushing into new areas of operation because they see needs and business development opportunities, but the expertise to deliver on those is not necessarily in place. The organization is in a really good place right now, but it's hard to predict how this is going to play out (which is why I rated neutral on organizational outlook and would not recommend the organization to a friend). TNTP has a a feedback-intensive culture, but it can be difficult to feel like you're succeeding because the focus is often on areas for growth. One year, I was incredibly worried about my performance (despite working 70-hour weeks for months at a stretch) because I got so much negative feedback. My annual performance review was mixed, saying that I'd met some but not all of my goals. And then I got a large bonus with a note indicating that I was among the very top employees that year. I almost quit multiple times because I felt like I was working so hard and still not succeeding. Don't get me wrong, the tangible bonus was great, but it would be nice if it was accompanied by encouraging words during the year so that I wasn't riddled with anxiety about my performance when I was apparently seen as doing exceptionally good work.

TNTP2014-09-03