TP-LINK Reviews | Glassdoor

TP-LINK Chairman and President Jeffrey Chao
Jeffrey Chao

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Everyone in power positions are puppets, placed in position from China HQ because of their nationality, not talent" (in 4 reviews)

• "HQ employees have final say if an employee is worth it" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full medical, dental, vision insurance plus 50% off dependents
    Free lunch Fridays and additional allowance to snack room
    Quarterly team bonding events
    Work/life balance, somewhat flexible scheduling
    Open door policy, supportive managers and HR

Cons

Cultural differences between US employees and China HQ are difficult for some to handle. As long as you communicate there are no issues.

Advice to Management

Comingle departments for some of the team bonding events. Getting to know each other apart from emails and conference rooms helps everyone get along and understand eachother's way of doing things and how to better communicate with them.

2. "TP-Link USA , Brea, CA"

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Brea, CA

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As Director of Human Resources at TP-Link USA, I would like to address any potential TP-Link USA job seekers by saying that as you read through the reviews posted on this site, please consider that there are many current and former company employees who have had a positive experience while working at TP-Link USA. Also keep in mind that the comments sometimes are referring to offices located in part of the world other than here in Brea, California.
    TP-Link USA strongly cares about its employees and is committed to creating a culture and work environment in which employees are valued and appreciated for their efforts. To that end, our current CEO, Louis Liu, regularly engages with the HR team and other leadership to ensure that the teams are aligned and working diligently to support this vision.
    While a company cannot be all things to all employees, in general, happy employees do not post reviews in online forums as often as those who are unhappy. In my role as director of Human Resources, I often witness many acts of kindness between our management team and employees.
    TP-Link USA is currently looking for talented people to fill several roles in our organization and encourage you to view the careers page on our website to determine if your experience aligns with what we are seeking.
    After viewing the current job openings, if you believe you are qualified for the position, I encourage you to apply and learn more about TP-Link USA for yourself through our candidate selection process.

Cons

Start Up Environment is not for everyone

"Dont recommend at all"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at TP-LINK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

can't think of any

Cons

1. No management , people comes from china control everything. Random people come and tell you how to do you work .
    2. No schedule. HQ employee listens to their manager about everything, like primary school teachers and students.
    3.No fair salary, and they hide everything.
    4. If you are not chinese , you dont get a change to speak to the managers because they ignore you. Part of the reason is that their english is poor.
    5.compensation lower than other places.

"Prepare to be underappreciated and overworked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They cover medical, dental, and vision.

Cons

This is strictly for the San Jose office.

You may think you're applying for one role but you'll end up doing the role of 5 people. They don't compensate well and if you bring it up it's seen as a negative attitude. The people that say they'll keep talks confidential will turn on you and leadership is non-existent. There's far too many people that believe they have the right answers and should have a hand in everything that happens. Company is more concerned about doing things the way they've always been done and not interested in growing. Products are mediocre at best but are seen as "great". Too many people just roll with the punches and never push back. And, again, those that do are dubbed trouble makers. Can't really trust anyone, that includes HR and your direct coworkers. If you plan on applying here, prepare for the worst or just run in the opposite direction.

Advice to Management

Bring in people who actually want to make things better, not a bunch of yes men that'll do whatever you tell them.

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I worked at TP-LINK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get so much psychological damage, you're prepared for the apocalypse.

Cons

I worked in a great team, but was continually displaced due to changes in management.

Before I left, I was placed under a manager who not only is not qualified, she has no interest in leading a team. The things she does best: look after herself as well as a particular team member who sucks up to her.

Together, this manager and her prodigy, scheme to validate their positions when in truth they do no work at all. The success of the department is on the shoulders of a few people who are constantly pushing projects forward while under immense pressure and expectations. The people at the bottom are constantly worked, expected to be in the office earlier than anyone and leave last. I was once told to stay up all night at the office to finish a project at the request of this manager and their last minute changes, while remaining off the clock and not compensated. It was not a rare occurrence, it happened all the time.

It's difficult as an employee, because if you bring up the fact that your manager is difficult to work with, or how she treats you is extremely unprofessional to human resources- she will somehow be notified and you end up in a room getting served a performance review and a warning notice for being a 'bad employee'.

This manager also gets employees, mainly her prodigy, to belittle others and bring them trouble for no reason at all. There's been four employees I've known who were either let go, or in trouble just because she did not like them. Not only did she make their work life miserable by treating them poorly and risking their projects, she got others in her circle to bully them as well.

There's been a few glass door reviews mentioning the same manager, you should go read them as well.

Advice to Management

Getting rid of good employees is not the issue, get rid of the horrible managers.

"HQ China controls it all"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks which are slowly being taken away from employees free lunch on Fridays for employees that is pretty much it

Cons

Controlled by HQ in China. Leadership roles given to people from China to control others. Systems always crashing for employees. Management lacks leadership skills...Idk about Other reviews that give them a “5 Star” they are not being honest... yes, it’s a start up but in order to make sure you create the best company for your clients and your employees, you should treat everyone the same and listen and give other innovative employees a chance to help with ideas to make the company succeed. If you feel you aren’t cared for by your employer, guess how your employees are going to feel about giving great service to your customers??? The company does not have any communication skills whatsoever or open to innovative ideas employees present to management. They put a ceiling over your head and it’s their way or the highway attitude. Instead of fixing issues they fire people that don’t meet the numbers, when in the first place it’s their fault employees can’t meet the false numbers. Company does not have a plan for structure does not have management skills from the country they do business in nor have any goal structure for employees. They don’t have a career path nor care for your career path in the company. Once they fire a bulk of employees, guess what happens to the workload on existing employees. When hired on I got lied to about the culture and benefits. If I were to know then what I know now, I wouldn’t have wasted my time here. I do not recommend anyone to this company. Unless you like the hierarchy culture and are a person that has no voice and only does what they are told no more no less. Steer clear of this place.

Advice to Management

Get leadership skills ... try to have empathy towards your employees. Actually care to create relationships.

"Not recommended! No direction, POOR management. DEAD END!"

I worked at TP-LINK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays (Diminishing perk)
    Free Coffee & Snacks (Don't see this lasting long either)

Cons

This company is terrible. Management is inexperienced, has no strategy. and possess terrible communication skills. Everyone in power positions are puppets, placed in position from China HQ because of their nationality, not talent. Most of them can't even communicate in English properly. American management has no real say but are given all the blame. Business ethics and morals are severally lacking. Do not plan to stay here long if you take a position. If you haven't seen it for the "Dumpster fire" it is, then you will after they lay you off for no reason. They let go of real talent without even knowing it, and replace them with people straight from China with no experience working in the US. There is no Standard Operating Procedure for any position or process. You will have to learn everything on the fly, they will toss you in the deep end and force you to fend for yourself. They will set you up for failure. Processes will change randomly at anytime without you knowing. Any mistakes or bumps in the road will be blamed on you. Your manager will not be able to back you up because they DO NOT listen to anyone that is not from China HQ. All recent negative reviews are 100% accurate, any others are FALSE. It's a DEAD END. TURN BACK and RUN!

Advice to Management

This is AMERICA! Your Chinese ways will NOT work here. We work hard and like to be compensated for our hard work. We do not appreciate being disrespected. Hire, listen and KEEP your talented American workers. Stop placing random Chinese employees from HQ in management positions. COMMUNICATE with your employees!

"Not for everyone.."

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at TP-Link for over a year and have had an overall positive experience. I will say that those who come from very corporate, long-established companies many not appreciate the “startup” environment TP-Link has to offer. Everyone’s experience is different, however TP-Link’s unconventional way of doing things is a perfect fit for someone like me who enjoys always being challenged and likes to think outside the box. Things change day-to-day and it keeps the work interesting. Yes - there have been some recent adjustments and re-organization to the business. Change is inevitable in a startup culture. Yes- being a CHINESE owned company there is obviously some influence from our Global HQ in China. This shouldn’t come as a surprise.

Cons

Startup mentality means you have to be able to adjust and adapt to change, otherwise you will not enjoy working here.

"If you’re not Chinese and born in china- run!"

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

30 dollars of snacks and beverages every two weeks

Free lunch Fridays

Free gym membership

Up to 50% Employee discounts

Cons

HQ China people are VERY Junior and are intimidated with people that have more experience that are local USA.

They don’t provide any info from HQ- if you are not from China, you will be in the dark on most stuff.

Advice to Management

Finally listen to your COO who is not from China.

Send HQ people/manager/directors who don’t understand pricing, product managment or marketing. They are costing the company money and blame everyone else for their mistakes.

10. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Web Developer
    Former Employee - Web Developer

I worked at TP-LINK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers in the research and tech team are incredibly nice.

Cons

Need to sign in when you arrive and leave