TP-LINK Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
TP-LINK Chairman and President Jeffrey Chao
Jeffrey Chao

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free snacks which are slowly being taken away from employees free lunch on Fridays for employees that is pretty much it" (in 6 reviews)

• "Work/life balance, somewhat flexible scheduling" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Everyone in power positions are puppets, placed in position from China HQ because of their nationality, not talent" (in 4 reviews)

• "females will not be taken seriously and HQ employees will not listen" (in 4 reviews)

"TP-Link Research America rules"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at TP-LINK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People at TP-Link is great. I was in their Mobile team for over 3 years. I was welcomed and also saw them welcoming new members to the team like a family member. It's a right place if you are looking for interesting and challenging technical problems and also want to be working with nice and friendly people.

Cons

TP-Link Research America office should get separate glass door page so the ratings a more accurate. Current glassdoor reviews are for whole TP-Link and it doesn't reflect specifically the US engineering office.

Advice to Management

PM team should lead engineering team but I felt like it was opposite.

2. "Work Hard/Play Hard"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are great, really friendly and fun. We have free lunch every Friday and always have special events hosted by HR.

Cons

Not really a downside but the culture and environment is very focused during work time. You have to be the type of person that likes to stay focused and driven. But there is plenty of time for fun too.

"National Sales Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I worked at TP-LINK full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is located in a really nice part of brea. The building and office design is nice. They offer free lunch on Fridays and they had a snack pantry available for the employees. Not sure if they still have it available. HR is probably the best thing going for this company but even then they have there hands tide to the Chinese culture. HR is super sweet and kind.

Cons

I recommend staying away from this company because they are a revolving door. They are only interested promoting Chinese employees. The sales goals (KPI) are not realistic. They are designed not to pay you out commission as they grow sales. The culture is very Chinese driven and they don't care to promote or increase your salary at all. They are quick to fire you if you don't hit your sales goals QoQ. It's a very political company and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. They are very disconnect from the US culture. Everyone is scared of the Chinese management team. They got rid of some of the best talent in the industry including the original EVP who founded the company in the US. He was part of the reason why the company grew so fast. The management team has made some of the worst decisions I've seen any company do in the last 10 years. They had some of the best star players at one time but they lost them all.

Advice to Management

Don't get rid of US local experienced employees to hire Chinese employees who have no US experience or relationships with National or Regional Retail/ B2B accounts.

"Great Experience working with the San Jose Team!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay 100% medical, dental & vision
    401k matching
    Great staff

Note: there are two TP-link offices. One in Brea (SoCal) and San Jose. My comments apply to the San Jose office. I felt compelled to write a review after I read a couple added in the past few months that do not reflect my experience with this company.

I had an excellent interview experience. Very professional and thorough. I was looking for interesting work, good compensation and a manager who would truly listen and value my input. The manager’s “open to input” attitude came through loud and clear in the interviews and since joining this has been my experience. I am able to bring up opposing viewpoints, have a productive conversation and come to agreement. My viewpoint is valued and accepted. I trust my manager (who is Chinese), my team and co-workers. (Note: I am not Chinese.) I have found a great group of people who enjoy coming to work together, enjoy celebrating success and relaxing with each other, too.

This is a small company with a start up feel. I enjoy the challenge and learning of projects outside of my job description. This is actually something I like and look for. It’s one reason I prefer to work for small companies. I want to roll up my sleeves and dive into a problem outside of my normal role and learn. I enjoy the interactions this brings my way with staff outside of my normal interactions.

In the time I have been here we’ve been exploring new technologies, high velocity processes and I love working with such a tight team. My contributions and impact are seen immediately. I feel very appreciated and I like it here. I think the future is bright!

Cons

More modern office space with more conference rooms.
    Office location within walking distance to restaurants.

Advice to Management

You are on the right path. Continue listening to your employees and keep going!

"Warehouse slave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fontana, CA

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a few employees who make your time working at TP-Link worth while.

Cons

They have unqualified so called managers in place who all happen to be Chinese there is no direction what so ever. They dont know what anyone actually does, but they will micro manage you. They make you feel like a second class citizen because one you dont speak their language and two you will never meet their standards. Oh the HR people if you can really call them that. This place a fire pit true hell on earth

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees instead of ignoring them.

6. "support staff"

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time

Pros

Great benefits; the management is really trying to grow the business.

Cons

However, the company changes direction quite frequently and doesn't really care about employees when making changes.

"Though people might have their own opinions, I feel the company is running better, especially the operations functions."

Current Employee - Shipping Lead in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Shipping Lead in Fontana, CA

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Pay is fair.
    Great benefits! Much better than previous companies.
    Since new Operations Management came on board last year, the work environment has greatly improved.
    Over the 4 years I’ve worked for this company, I feel my hard work has been rewarded here.

Cons

A lot of changes, which can be challenging for some people to adapt.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I have been working at TP-LINK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full medical, dental, vision insurance plus 50% off dependents
    Free lunch Fridays and additional allowance to snack room
    Quarterly team bonding events
    Work/life balance, somewhat flexible scheduling
    Open door policy, supportive managers and HR

Cons

Cultural differences between US employees and China HQ are difficult for some to handle. As long as you communicate there are no issues.

Advice to Management

Comingle departments for some of the team bonding events. Getting to know each other apart from emails and conference rooms helps everyone get along and understand eachother's way of doing things and how to better communicate with them.

"Fake reviews are the 4 and 5 stars- it’s really bad here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I worked at TP-LINK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer Free lunch fridays

Cons

China rules. They bring kids out of college and make them in charge.

They had people from great companies that were told they could do something and was then told China people will manage it.

New marketing leadership is from China and does not understand local language, writing skills and thinks TPlink can “buy” press reviews like they do in China.

Advice to Management

Allow local managment to run the local division- curb the China managment as they are running the brand into the grown.

What works in China does not work in the America’s.

Make sure every one is legal on correct visas- I would not want a ICE raid to happen.

"Don't Leave Your Current Job!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brea, CA

I worked at TP-LINK full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quarterly team meetings
    Free Lunch Fridays, but the food quality has been dwindling.
    Spending money for snacks.

Cons

Cultural difference between US and China HQ employees. Turnover rate is high due to mistakes with management. Wished I heard about the reviews before I applied.

Advice to Management

No advice. It's either my way or the highway from my manager.