TP Mechanical Contractors Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 21, 2017

2.5
Bill Riddle

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place to work if you have no other options"

Current Employee - Plumber in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Plumber in Dayton, OH

I have been working at TP Mechanical Contractors full-time

Pros

Not forced to work overtime, Can get time off when needed

Cons

Definitely not getting promoted or moving up if your not in the "it" group, lots of friends and families working together.

2. "Production Plumber"

I have been working at TP Mechanical Contractors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, continuous work, nice shop

Cons

Lots of changes. Never got 90 day review w/ promised raise, have not yet gotten yearly review.

3. "Apprenticeship programs are top notch"

Former Employee - Plumber in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Plumber in Columbus, OH

Pros

The apprenticeship program is very good , average to good pay for plumbers . Learning a very good trade. Benefits . Prevailing wage jobs are very nice if you can get on one . It's about $10 more per hour on avg for journeymen not to mention the money that goes into your retirement .

Cons

Favoritism is abundant . Lots of cliques ,it is good to be in them so be freinds with the in crowd if you want to work on the good projects . Some superintendents are impossible to work for . Layoffs UNLESS as I said before about getting in with the in crowd . you will know who they are .

Advice to Management

I would say spilt up the cliques but they are probably what keeps the doors open . Some need to retire .

4. "Summer laborer"

Current Employee - General Laborer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - General Laborer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at TP Mechanical Contractors full-time

Pros

I worked there the summer after my first year of college. Compared to the other jobs that my friends had, it paid pretty well. It also taught me a lot about the fabrication process of companies which I thought was pretty cool because I am going to be an engineer.

Cons

I don't really have any complaints about my time working here. Some people would not like the hours that we were required to work. They were pretty short on employees during my time there so we were working 10 hours a day (4 am - 2 pm). Other than that, it was all physical labor which didn't bother me, but it is definitely not for some people.

Advice to Management

Only thing I can think of is they should expand the size of the fab shop because it was getting very cramped with all of the material that they were bringing in.

5. "Don't do it, You will regret it"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at TP Mechanical Contractors full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

attempts to focus on training, decent benefits, Some good Field personel.O

Cons

Culture....Leadership is mostly made up of the "Good ole Boy network" mostly friends and family. Resistant to change, Attempting to be a large mechanical contractor but cannot get out of their own way. Individuals placed in positions that that have absolutley no business in, no skills to perform and manage through antiquated scare tactics. No one appears to enjoy working there. Turnover is the highest I have ever seen in this industry. That says a lot!!

Advice to Management

I have sen you hire a few Pros over the years but they typically do not last they are either pushed out by TP network, or they run away when they discover the behind he scenes truth about the Company. Hire outside, eliminate the Leaders that were given their roles because of their relationship status. The Company could have potential if you allow the new Leaders you find to "Do what they know" don't fight it. Look at your turnover across the board it says a lot about you.

6. "Gives impression of a professional large Company atmosphere. But lacks substance, Friends and family network only"

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at TP Mechanical Contractors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has commitment to training, decent benefits.,

Cons

Culture, driven by friends and family not qualifications. Extreme turnover for the Industry. They have brought in a few Pro's from other Industries but they don't last typically leave or are driven out by the Inept long term management Team. HR is a very inexperienced and really lack any qualifications. The the Little Cliques and family will drive this Firm's future,

Advice to Management

You have some potential, but your leadership cliques and lack of any long term vision are causing the turnover. When you bring in a Pro let them do their job and don't let your long term people run them off or convince Executive management they aren't right. They only fear they will be discredited by these people. Keep them on board ,Listen and get rid of some of these Regional Leaders in your core business, you know who they are

7. "Family owned business"

I worked at TP Mechanical Contractors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for plumbers to get experience

Cons

Very much a family business. The family members and friends of family are "taken care of" no matter how they perform

8. "Good people"

I worked at TP Mechanical Contractors full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really good people work there.

Cons

The leadership needs to lead. Move away from the negative behaviors of the past. High road.

Advice to Management

Address issues, resolve conflict to better the company. Don't promote people that don't serve it. Don't promote negativity.

9. "TPMC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

They are a solid company.

Cons

They do not treat poeple well and the CEO is a micromanager to highest degree.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.