TPG Architecture Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Give a Try"

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice culture and Environment. Very Nice.

Cons

Big Office, and it is corporate office .

2. "Meh experience"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Big place, decent pay, benefits, and the type of stuff youd expect from being corporate, like project support and division of labor... they care about this which is great; the flipside is the core of most everyone here does not have much of an idea or experience for passion to the work other than management of client and "the service". The core business was more of an architectural services/ rollout type firm, so even principals and seniors are out of pace with the design world. Pros in summary: Enjoy your lunch out, wake up and do it over again.

Cons

There is a feeling in the air/ culture of corporate "count your blessings" type people. They are there but you can tell they really arent there. People just arent engaged in the work for reasons they choose/ not in their control. It also has alot of technical and nontechnical people who exclusively focus on architectural service. You see it in their backgrounds and despite being intelligent, the low risk conservative limiting "smart" approach really kills any spark of magic on the day to day. Its a good place for overseasoned people who tapped out alittle while ago or else may not have found their way in the first place. This all contributes to the quality of their portfolio which is still trying.

Advice to Management

Tune up. Less compartmentalization. Use less greasy salespeople and the same corporate products and be a designer. Leaders dont follow. Challenge yourself and your old ways.

3. "Mostly good"

I worked at TPG Architecture (Less than a year)

Pros

TPG has an increasingly interesting and high-profile project load; many designers there have a opportunities to work on "career-defining projects" (as one principal has put it). Naturally, the office itself is nice to look at, and a comfortable environment. The principals are approachable, and seem to recognize talent and drive in employees. Many great employees are TPG lifers, and several are "boomerangs." They also have one of the most robust mentorship programs i've ever seen.

When I was there we had (almost) monthly happy hours in the office and there was always enough beer. One standout party was their huge halloween bash, for which they really pull out the stops. There were a lot of fun/creative/quirky people on staff, and a few I really regret not being able to see each day.

Cons

Politics there can be tricky, and you really do just have to be a good fit for it to work out. Unfortunately, some of my colleagues expressed fear and frustration about their job security due to a lack of constructive feedback on their performance. I can't speak to whether that was justified, not knowing what was or wasn't communicated to them, but it's how they felt.

However, my experience was very different - I gained valuable professional experience and a significant raise from my previous job. My opinions and ideas were sought and respected by my teammates as well as management, and I really liked going to work each day. Several colleagues have similar experiences to mine. The contrast is stark though, so I guess I'm saying you'll either sink or swim and you might need a strong game face until you figure it out.

Advice to Management

You're a good firm with good values. If you can build an environment of trust with your employees, the sky is the limit.

"Good firm"

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time

Pros

Friendly environment, great resource, shared acountability

Cons

Can be stuck with one type of project

"TPG Works for ME!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A well established architectural firm with a solid market reputation that holds strong against its competition. Makes for an easy sell! Great place to work, beautiful office, wonderful staff. There is an abundance of staff that have been working there for 10 plus years and speak so highly of the firm. Which is wonderful for employees just starting out, I am going into my second year and that gives me hope for longevity alongside a great team!

Cons

It's not for everyone, the company has to fit your personality and you have to fit theirs. To quote the founder, "Not everybody is for everyone."
    Now to reference a few of the earlier, more negative, comments I will say that they go to extraordinary lengths to give employees second third and fourth chances to redeem themselves when underperforming. They are more than understanding if you communicate. They don't treat this like the large firm that it is, they treat it more like a family. If you feel you aren't being treated well, or you don't have a good work-life balance or your under compensated you need to look in the mirror because if you don't speak up or demand for yourself then others won't either.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! The open door policy is amazing. Keep up the communication. The firm is headed in such a great direction and we are doing so well! It is wonderful to be apart of such a great success story.

"Damage Control"

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time

Pros

Don't let the title of my review fool you - TPG does provide its team with some noteworthy benefits, such as a well designed office bettered by a convenient/accessible location. However, outside of a well thought out workplace, TPG does not offer much else. Salaried/contract compensation is adequate and comparable to some other firms in other nearby cities - see Boston, Philadelphia, however cost of living in NYC negates this adequacy.

Cons

TPG Architecture has done a rather obvious job at damage control here on Glassdoor in 2016. One look at their trend on the site tells me that they have recognized Glassdoor as an obstacle in their revolving door process - their management is manufacturing positive reviews in order to satisfy their ever growing personnel needs.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, TPG's management believes its position in the architecture field is representative of its working environment, when in reality the two are not linked. Providing a welcoming physical space does not translate into a welcoming space, emotionally and logically speaking. My advice would be to ditch the top down corporate structure and appreciate that you are only a valuable as your team. Learn to treat your people like counterparts, embrace and encourage them to bring forth quality ideas, and do not be afraid to admit mistakes when you make them.

I think that an employer must pass the "friend test". Would I recommend this work environment to one of my friends? Granted that I now view TPG as a low-mid tier employer in their respective field, I likely would not.

My final advice to management would be to hire an outside 3rd party consulting firm to complete an anonymous employee review of colleagues and superiors. Make it clear that this is an anonymous process and use the results to clear out inept management at the mid and top tier.

Again, I wouldn't expect TPG to use my advice - they are (disappointingly) too good for it.

"Worst place to work"

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time

Pros

Some people are nice, but that is all.

Cons

Horrible management. Everyone in my department is worried about getting fired. People come and go very often. Firm has over 50% turn over rate. Everyone "higher up" knows your business and they bring it into the workplace.

Advice to Management

Get your stuff together and realize you are a horrible company. You can turn it around if you try.

"Designer"

Pros

Great office, nice people to work with.

Cons

Overall pretty good. Nothing negative to say.

"perfect"

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to learn and grow. Great mentorship program, lunch and learn program and training

Cons

Not all staff are up to the firm and client needs

"Great place to get your foot in the door"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly in New York, NY

I worked at TPG Architecture (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a summer intern at TPG. Their internship program receives a great deal of support -- nobody in the firm views the interns as eyesores. There is typically at least one intern for each of the studios (Retail, corporate, etc) so be sure to vet your interest in specific areas of the firm's portfolio. The people who run their internship program are amazing, and really take extra steps to make you feel welcome. They hold weekly lunches/sessions -- we've had sessions with other designers, portfolio critiques with partners, and candid conversations with other management. The partners are also very invested in the internship program, and were very eager to meet with us interns and talk to us about our experience at the firm, which was great. I got to work with a variety of different projects and learn a lot about the management structure of a larger firm, which was an incredibly valuable experience for me. They are also placing a lot of importance on hiring more younger people, which is awesome. The office is really nice, and there are a ton of places for you to have your privacy and do your own work despite it being an open studio. And their coffee is strong.

Cons

Because TPG is a larger firm, the studios are pretty separate location-wise and there's not much mixing and matching -- although people do move in between studios. I would have loved to see more interaction between the different groups, but I also acknowledge that I was just a summer intern and more of that may go on during the remainder of the calendar year.