TPG Architecture Reviews

Updated Sep 5, 2020

3.3
TPG Architecture Founder JAMES G. PHILLIPS, AIA (no image)
JAMES G. PHILLIPS, AIA
Pros
Cons
  • "Easy to feel like just a number in such a large firm(in 3 reviews)

• "Not much architecture being done(in 3 reviews)

1. "Good place to start"

5.0
    Former Employee - Intern in Melville, NY

I worked at TPG Architecture part-time for less than a year

Pros

They will teach you everything from the start. Good working environment and friendly colleagues who are willing to teach you things you might not be familiar with.

Cons

Long Island office is small so they had to let us interns go to keep the work load filled for the full time employees

2. "Pay very low"

1.0
    Current Employee - Project Professional in New York, NY

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay very low. Not many pros.

Cons

Pay very low. No transparency.

Continue reading

"Not terrible for beginners"

Former Employee - Project Professional in New York, NY

I worked at TPG Architecture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most of the people are great to work with if you're lucky enough to work with them. Also if you're lucky, you'll get to experience cool projects.

Cons

Upper management. Most, if not all studio directors and directors are not licensed architects--some don't even have degrees. Yet they walk around talking and acting like they do. End of the year bonuses, if you get one, are not performance based and it's a sad giftcard. No paid overtime yet they expect you to work. They then tell you any hours you put in overtime will come back in your bonus, which is a lie. Your salary is not performance based either. Extremely political, and upper management is out for themselves. No motivation to progress with technology--Revit on a project is rare. There is no reward or benefit for the hard work we put in. The only people that see anything are the "directors" who really don't do anything. They chime in here and there on emails or site visits, just to show face. On paper, it looks like they're the ones making the firm all the money. They've recently gone through massive lay-offs and furloughs due to mismanagement while hiring for a specific project that fell through. No matter what, in the end you're just a number if you're not a principal or director.

4. "Competitive, Professional, Challenging"

Current Employee - Senior Design Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Room for growth and opportunity within the company structure

Cons

long work hours with unreasonable expectations, limited resources for assistance with the company

5. "Great but can Improve"

Current Employee - Interior Designer

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Room to grow if you take the initiative

Cons

Not flexible with changes and slow to adapt new technology

"This is WHAT YOU THOUGHT IT WAS"

Former Employee - Senior Designer in New York, NY

I worked at TPG Architecture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is very competitive for most of the people working here (they don't have great backgrounds but they are good and are motivated bc basically these people come from almost trade schools). This is the type of place where you will either do well on the short term, go long if you come from nothing and are ok the slow grind and the dinosaur management that will needlessly rein you in on a conservative level. Its actually great for dinosaurs, bc its all about client management here and fulfilling their expectations. So great for managers and those uncreative types who are just trying to milk whatever. Its all very tanglible and thus....

Cons

It is a mistake to think this place is a formative experience. You can talk shop and hone your speaking if you're allowed to speak to clients or contractors in the first place, but really, you won't be allowed. Its a playground for rather dull types of people that think they know everything and will outsmart you. They work here because they believe they have 'made it' without making it. Their career aspirations are to be a talking head and not have to work through creative problems or explore (in the manner that is REALLY design experience and creation. They are not impressive in the least and their personal goals are really to manage people and their design thoughts into the clients intended product. Thus, you are just another body to be wasted searching p-interest or the trendy encyclopedia of design that is todays p-interest grab bag to resolve the clients need for Millenial and Gen Z friendly venue/workplace market demand. You will realize this ultimately and the fact that they are faking to be some kind of design guru or have that kind of requisite experience. You'll realize that everyone is just desperate to please the client for whatever career aspiration they have left in them and you'll wonder what the hell happened to you. What will eventually make you leave is these in-your-face politicking of the 'open office' and 'design firm', which are manipulations which ultimately serve No One. But the Client. The net result of your efforts will be being terribly unexcited, or loving it and being the ultimate boring person. This is the circle jk of pleasing the client in their quest for market share.

7. "Mostly interior with some exterior"

Current Employee - Project Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything great except below cons

Cons

Still using 2D CAD, library dated, blocks takes forever to edit.

"Does not care? Are you awake?"

5.0
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

To the prior post about 'does not care for employees', I certainly don't see or share that opinion. The family core values of the group, top down, are visible daily. All are active and involved, retention rate is high, those that have left often return as Employees or Clients. I challenge you to find a better balance of creativity, technical ability, mentor-ship, and opportunity. The benefits come with options, some cost more, some cost less, you get what you pay for. None require the employee to pay out of pocket 100%, you should check your facts as I recently changed from single to family and the coverage is great. The office ‘pantry’ party is fully catered, white glove service, and is nothing less than ideal for a party. Don’t make this sound like a back office alley kitchen when you clearly know it isn’t. For everyone’s benefit 250 people comfortable fit, TV’s, music, multiple islands for service, double sets of large commercial appliances,… is it Cipriani’s? No… do we want that?? NO! We are proud of our office and you should be too!

Cons

I'm frustrated and upset that one of my colleagues feels as strongly as they do so post their opinions the way they have. They clearly are not part of the firm as most are, and should speak up and not hide behind emails and posts.

"Meh"

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, vacation FYI, upon leaving they blatantly ask you to leave a positive review, so take any with a grain of salt.

Cons

Not much architecture being done. Primarily run as architectural services company where you will be a CAD monkey. Even if you enjoy the technical side of things, projects are very repetitive. People do the same thing over and over for years. The firm refuses to innovate, we have been told for years that a transition to Revit will happen but it never materializes, making you less employable elsewhere the longer you work there. IT dept. is generally abysmal and totally unmotivated to improve anything, CAD detail and block libraries woefully unorganized and hard to navigate. They can’t even get the seating chart to load properly. Little room to grow, mid-level management consist of people who have been there for 10+ years, working here feels like a dead-end. Certain principles feel more like used car salesmen than architects. They are constantly hemorrhaging talent, very high turnover. Hard to get experience on site, actually interface with clients, or have any design input (mind you I always had very positive annual reviews and asked for these things). Just a generally very slow rate of personal growth and not a challenging environment. Plus, the office they designed for themselves feels like a hospital. …and does EVERY holiday party have to be in the office?

Continue reading
  10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Project Professional

I have been working at TPG Architecture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment and interesting projects

Cons

Promotions are hard to come by.

Found 53 reviews