TRX Training Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Randy Hetrick

Pros
  • Free workouts (that are not that great (in 10 reviews)

• Its a start up culture that embraces loose infrastructure and independence within the work environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • All decisions (or as we like to call them: "delusions") are made by the Senior Leadership team and forced down (in 3 reviews)

• No direction and high turn around with staff so you never know who you are working with or reporting to from one day to the next (in 2 reviews)

"Perfect blend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TRX Training full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy making a difference, taking initiative, building ideas, developing solutions, driving success and working with some amazing 'get things done' people at all levels, TRX is a great, great fit. Have been here for almost 2 years. From day 1, I knew it was the perfect blend for me.

Cons

You will not be micro-managed, or told what to do every minute of every day. You will have to fully participate in creating a huge success. And you will be encouraged to workout every day.

Advice to Management

Steady, clear consistent communication will remain key to the realization of our potential! Let's keep getting after it!!!

"Company in a death spiral"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TRX Training full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consumers love the brand, mostly because they don't know what is happening inside the company.

Cons

CEO routinely insults staff, argues with his executive staff publicly, and generally seems to be doing his best to run the company into bankruptcy. The Leadership Team is mostly underqualified for their jobs and is very cliquey. The marketing team has a very high turn-over rate and the ecommerce team has all quit. There does not seem to be a clear direction. To stay afloat, the company is finding ways to cut corners. This includes the quality of the product and I'm very much afraid that someone will end up getting hurt.

Advice to Management

Fire Randy and treat the staff like human beings.

"Crashing and Burning"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TRX Training full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm interviewing elsewhere and no one seems to care - mostly as they are also interviewing elsewhere. I know of five other employees currently looking for new jobs.

Cons

The Founder and CEO is a loose cannon - he may have been good when we were a small company, but now he panics and makes bad decisions. He tries to run things like we're the Navy SEALs (insults may be fine for a basic training, but it's no way to motivate employees).

The entire ecommerce team has quit in the last six months, a result of the CEO putting a brick and mortar sales guy in charge of it. His view is that eCommerce cannibalizes his sales (and commissions) so made life hard for the team until they quit.

The sales team used to be a happy, well-organized group, but now that the Brick-and-Mortar guy is in charge, morale is at an all-time low - they've been tasked with making up the difference from the now-defunct eCommerce team, at a time when in-store sales are dropping.

Advice to Management

Convince the Board of Directors to fire the CEO or sell the company.

5. "Tough, but rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TRX Training full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Every day, you know that you've personally moved the needle. Employee-only workouts. Strong fitness/health culture. Strong team/community culture. Work hard, play hard attitude. Paul (the President) has a strong vision and is a great motivational leader.

Cons

Extremely lean organization. If you're not willing to dig in and own your work, you will likely fail. Limited engineering resources. Randy (the CEO) is a bit on the reactive side and tends to micromanage when he's unhappy.

Advice to Management

A lean organization is good as you know that your efforts are meaningful. At times, however, the org can feel a bit too lean... a bit of padding can prevent employee burnout.

"Great Product! Confused Management. Unhealthy Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Product is excellent. Both the straps and the fitness knowledge of the education team are A+.

Cons

Confused leadership is unclear about what the focus of the business is. Communication is top-down and delivered sporadically. There are no metrics for success except global revenue increases, in spite of the majority of employees having very little impact in this area. Successes are not celebrated. Unprofessional treatment of external vendors. Constant "fire drill" mentality. Unrealistic timelines, unrefined processes, and lots of "lane changes" on a whim. Soul-deadening meeting culture. "Leadership" qualities often measured by who is speaking loudest in said meetings. "Frat boy" environment, even at company meetings and with external stakeholders. Employees punished for the failures of the overall business via benefit/perks cutting.

Advice to Management

Stay focused, develop a bottom-up leadership structure. Eliminate "meeting culture" and focus on action items. Trust department heads and the other experts you have hired to do their jobs properly. Stay current within business, management, marketing, and technology best practices. For best performance, increase trust among your employees and increase their resources.

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TRX Training full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people and eh product is awesome.

Cons

They really don't value their employees. They will use you, and be ok with it, they also do not value many of their employees and are ok with a high turnover rate. They also pay very poorly. Management is pretty poor here, don't recommend it.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TRX Training full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very fun environment where getting fit is easy.

Cons

No direction and high turn around with staff so you never know who you are working with or reporting to from one day to the next.

"Sort of like high school, but with adults."

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TRX Training full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The two stars are for the commitment to employee health. The workouts are awesome and I was in the best shape of my life during my two years here. Great product, very well run education department, very knowledgable exercise physiologists, great leadership in the area of developing the modality and getting it out to the gyms.

Cons

Management protected certain employees who were more competitive even though they were dragging the company down with poor decision making, highly negative attitudes, and even abusive behaviors. There was a serious lack of collaboration which interfered with my own productivity and our ability to do great things in my area of purview. So aggressive and negative was the culture that there were days that I wanted to go into the bathroom and not come out.

Then there was my direct reports, the ones not hired by me, who were strongly opposed to considering other opinions other than their own and did not respond to direct management. When I looked into firing one of them, I discovered that she was protected by the CEO because she had slept with one of his buddies at her former company. Ack.

I started the company at one job (a new position), got there and found out that it was actually two jobs (with two different titles even), then two weeks later was told to come up with a new title (and job description). And it was all downhill from there.

Advice to Management

I seriously doubt they read this. Move the CEO to the board, get someone in who knows how to run a company (not a SEAL team, they're really quite different).

"DO NOT DO IT"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TRX Training full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free workouts (that are not that great. I gained 10lbs working here)

Cons

TRX is an awful place to work.

11. "TRX is the Greener Pasture"

Current Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TRX Training full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, our products, our Brand! From top to bottom we are passionate about our brand and are committed to driving the company's success. Despite what has been posted by some, our culture is AWESOME! From daily workouts, to fruit delivery, to dogs wandering the office, to happy hours and picnics, TRX is truly a fun, perk heavy place to work. More importantly, we are a non-corporate culture that encourages straight talk (if you have the courage). I am not aware of anyone being fired from TRX for expressing their opinions or challenging decisions.
    As a small company, many of us are given the opportunity to wear multiple hats and grow in our careers. We have a strong practice of promoting from within and our world class customer service department has been an awesome training ground for people to branch out in to other roles.
    Some have left for what they thought were “greener pastures” and have asked to return after finding that those pastures had their share of manure too.
    TRX is the greener pasture, and I am ALL IN, as we strive to position ourselves to be the leader in the functional training space.

Cons

At times there is an unhealthy level of entitlement and “nay saying,” from a few within the company that brings people down.
    Those who know about us LOVE US, but we still struggle to get the word out to the masses about who we are and what we do.
    We sell durable, high quality products that last and are prone to cheap knockoffs which impact our business.
    Even though the CEO communicated that he would be handing over day to day operations to the President and CFO so he can focus on promoting our brand, people want to see him around more.

Advice to Management

Execute, execute, execute and communicate, communicate, communicate! Continue to listen to your teams. Empower them to move the needle. Compress the number of iterations before making decisions.