KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Engaged Employer

TSA (Transportation Security Administration)

Add a Review

TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Employee Reviews about "airport"

Updated Jan 11, 2021

Found 127 of over 1,699 reviews

3.2
TSA (Transportation Security Administration) Administrator  David P. Pekoske (no image)
David P. Pekoske
Pros
  • "good benefits because it's government job(in 131 reviews)

• "Good pay for no experience required(in 108 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Management sucks no matter what airport you work at(in 91 reviews)

• "Prepare to spend a year working part-time to get a full time gig(in 57 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of TSA (Transportation Security Administration) and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "airport"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great

Apr 3, 2020 - Tso in Richlands, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Worked part-time, the airport not open 24/7 and it was a very easy job

Cons

Slow pace environment but it's only because it's a very small airport.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee

It is what you make it

Jan 11, 2021 - Supervisory Transportation Security Officer in Boise, ID
      Business Outlook

Pros

Move anywhere in us where federal airport has an opening

Cons

Passengers are not always pleasant

3. 4.0

Good part time job

Nov 4, 2020 - Transportation Security Officer in Missoula, MT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is good for a part time especially in Montana where the minimum wage is still 8 an hour.

Cons

Took several months after applying to get an interview. It is also difficult to go from part time to full time in small airports because of a lack of full time positions available and also because it's based on senority

4. 4.0

Believe it or not, I’d go back 🙄

Feb 3, 2020 - Transportation Security Officer in Dallas, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

To me the best thing about working for TSA was the ability to live in different states/cities & know that I always had a job. I started in Los Angeles, moved to Houston, & ended my career in Dallas. No matter what airport I was at my coworkers quickly became my family ! Benefits are good & pay is decent .. I started working for TSA while I was in college & I had very little working experience so I felt like I had hit the jackpot working for TSA. To me, TSA was not where I wanted to work for the rest of my life, but it gave me a great start. There were plenty of opportunities for advancement & it made getting into other federal jobs much easier. Pretty flexible scheduling, PT & FT available, Shifts starting from 4am all the way to 3pm. Vacation & sick leave & you can always give your shifts away or pick up extra shifts, lots of opportunities for OT.

Cons

Alwayyys understaffed, passengers can be rude, officers deserve yearly raises.

5. 1.0

Hostile Work Environment

Oct 17, 2020 - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) in SeaTac, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The health insurance is phenomenal. The schedule is steady. You'll learn how to deal with the travelling public. I did meet my best friend in the world here. Not all the officers are bad people.

Cons

Management thinks your disposable. The staff is mostly ex-military and seems to treat you as if you're in the military. You'll get yelled at from passengers, your co-workers, your supervisor, and your management. Other departments think you're a joke. The police even get annoyed with you. Management can change your schedule on a whim, you don't get a say in the matter. Because TSA is connected to Congress, they dictate what you do and how much you get paid. Parking is a huge pain. Some officers have an hour or more commute, and TSA is not very accommodating. The port controls the airport, and while TSA has their main function for security, the port can decide to do something and that takes precedence over TSA. You can't depend on anything because they change rules all the time, sometimes for good reasons and sometimes for reasons that don't make sense. Coworker's constantly complain about the working conditions. The supervisors either agree with you to make you feel better and do nothing, or get frustrated and talk down to you. Most often, officers either complain about management, wish they were at a different job and talk about how they plan to leave "someday," or they're ex-military and think the job is a great job because they don't have to work very hard for a decent pay. However, I only have experience at the Seatac airport. I have heard stories from officers who've moves that other airports are run differently, and that the job is better all over the country. Texas is the most popular transfer location on Seatac officers "wish list." Transferring is difficult. And currently, part time employees are not allowed to go to full time if they need more hours. Overtime is not allowed either and approval is automatically refused. But TSA is still hiring new officers. I find this practice unethical. And it adds animosity and hostility into the workplace. More often, I feel like a chess piece in my managements game than an actual person with feelings. You will not be appreciated, respected, or cared for. You will receive a paycheck. Even then, when getting raises or bonuses, it can take months after the date you were supposed to receive it before you actually get it. And that's if you get it. It's an extremely unorganized workplace and important papers for you get lost or forgotten all the time. This is another extremely frustrating situation which just adds to the feeling that you can't depend on your supervisor or manager to help you out. The only time I see supervisors and managers do what they're supposed to do is when it's a legal issue. Because in that instance, they have to do their job. And they do it well. In all other instances, it feels like pulling teeth trying to get ahold of anyone if you need something. Your schedule is absolute, you cannot change it. They won't accommodate anything outside of work. Because your job is more important than anything in your own life. Even your children and family members. This is the attitude that upper management takes. And you can wish it were better and different and complain and ask for help, but no one will ever hear you. I would not recommend this job for a career. For the short term, however, it can be an interesting experience.

2 people found this review helpful
    6. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Great people, great benefits, bad management.

Aug 30, 2019 - Transportation Security Officer in Boston, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most officers and passengers are a pleasure to work with. Feeling of importance and accomplishment, opportunities to help others daily. Starting pay is high for an entry level position, and full benefit package (including life insurance and retirement) is offered even to part-timers. Offers overnight and Sunday differentials, Holiday pay, and very reasonable earned sick time and personal time (separate.) Lots of inter- and intra-agency mobility opportunities. No "homework" or surprise shifts.

Cons

Schedules are not flexible. Often discipline officers for using earned sick/personal time, sometimes up to 11 months after the fact. Management is rewarded with performance bonuses and promotions for discipline administered on the basis of, "How do we know you're good at managing problems if you don't write anyone up?" Repetitive motion injuries are very common, and higher risk in the bag-rooms. High turn-over. Training sometimes requires travel. Many passengers and some airport employees have little to no respect for officers, and are happy to make their lives miserable. Every pat-down or bag-search could result in sudden death or injury. Increased difficulty relating to anyone who doesn't work in law enforcement, government, or retail.

4 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work if your management team and supervisors listen to their employees

May 25, 2020 - Transportation Security Officer in Cleveland, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Yearly Bonus near Holiday time. Ok pay. Great foot in the door for you to venture to other federal agencies such as CBP or BP or other.

Cons

Other airports may have poor managers or supervisors that don't seem to be qualified to run the checkpoint. Pay can be low considering we are the front-lines of aviation security, especially during times of a pandemic. Not on the GS pay scale

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Decent job, but don’t get stuck here

Oct 11, 2020 - Transportation Security Officer in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, Transfer opportunities, advancement opportunities, free uniforms.

Cons

Every airport is different, beware of ORF, high turnover, discrimination at some airports, pay could be better, passengers

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good pay but can be monotonous work

Aug 28, 2020 - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) in Fort Myers, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay for people with no higher education, potential for advancement (depending on airport), meet people from around the world.

Cons

Typical government hierarchy, no need to have people skills to be in upper management or any kind of work ethic to get ahead.

10. 3.0

Not bad

Sep 28, 2020 - TSO (Transportation Security Officer) in Orlando, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay. Benefits for ft or PTO. Great training programs

Cons

Management sucks no matter what airport you work at

Viewing 1 - 10 of 127 Reviews