TSL Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 23, 2019

3.5
David English

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Company wants to provide a good work environment" (in 8 reviews)

• "You can work from home, Vanilla Soft was easy to use and install and they had decent health care rates" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "I guess that would explain why they have such a high turnover" (in 4 reviews)

• "There are no cons that I can presently think of" (in 4 reviews)

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at TSL Marketing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented, great culture, Friendly, The CEO as well as all management really cares about everyone and strives to help and do the best they can in order to help their employees succeed. I have been with TSL going on 7 years now, and I could not imagine myself with any other company. This company has been the best place to work. TSL is a family in itself.

Cons

The only downfall I can think of at this point is that the office is not as full as it used to be.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Personally, I look up to all management.

"If I had the option to go back in time and do something else I probably would."

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Strategist

I worked at TSL Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote work I suppose, but in this day and age this should be a given.

Learning about the bureaucracies of large companies.

Incompetence of mid-level management can sometimes be comedic.

Cons

A clear divide between "management" and "peons". Which breeds discontent. There are these employees that It seems like the general dynamic of this company consists of a handful of long standing employees (some working at the same place for over a decade) and a revolving door.

The "Client <-> Sales <-> Operation" sides are usually never in sync or overly complicated, causing a lot of confusion in projects, frustrated clients and pointless work.

Subsistence level pay for the DC area.

The marketing or "creative" side has it slightly better than the sales side.

Inconsistent messaging from management regarding performance metrics. They will tell you to put the client first but if you want to be successful here ALWAYS PUT YOUR BILLABLE HOURS FIRST. MAXIMIZE THEM! Problem is, all the peons already know this so you gonna have to fight amongst yourselves for them.

Childish reward system: They have this system where they would give you a "shoutout" or non-monetary rewards for good work/behavior. If you are someone that goes for that sort of vanity then this place might be for you.

Advice to Management

Some people in the company likes to talk to people they perceive to be "lower" than them with this demeanor of superiority. I'll give you an example: when you are talking to them they will do this thing where they sigh and talk at the same time? lol if you are tired and don't want to talk you can always write an email/chat. But no, I guess they want to seem important.

And Jeff, don't bother leaving your email out here, no one that reviews here are actually trying to reach out lol. If people wanted to do that they would since, we all got your email address. Besides, chances are we already reached out before we left the company. We want for the public/prospective job applicants that are researching the company to know our experience.

Apr 8, 2019 – Vice President, Customer Experience Group & Strategy

Your advice on my replying to these posts is appreciated. I agree that this a forum for people to share experiences but I will hold hope that with an open door some are willing to discuss further. I... More

3. "Promotes a Hamster Wheel work life"

Former Employee - Senior Lead Progression Specialist
    Former Employee - Senior Lead Progression Specialist

I worked at TSL Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work from home. Company has potential if they treated their employees better.

Cons

I worked here for over a year. They treat their employees like a number. I guess that would explain why they have such a high turnover. The commission structure is great except they show favoritism to certain employees and expect you to produce with horrible training and limited resources. Don't work here! Save yourself! They will find every excuse as to why they can't pay you for your hard work.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like real people. Put them before the client and your results will change over night.

Feb 7, 2019 – Vice President, Customer Experience Group & Strategy

Hello. It is too bad to hear that you had this experience. You have some clear points for improvement and I would be very happy to speak with you about them so that we can improve ourselves. Please... More

"Everyday were Hustling"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at TSL Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your Coworkers feel like family
    Everyone is friendly that works here
    David (Our President) is also a die hard DC fan (HAIL)
    We have fun company potlucks once a month bigger events like Kick Off Week and Summer BBQ throughout the year
    They utilize your skills and promote from within
    Relaxed/understanding when taking time off of work
    Understand work/life balance
    give you the option to work from home
    As long as you are doing what your suppose to be doing/getting things done no one is going to micromanage you
    We have a free gym in our building complex
    Location is in the heart of Columbia with easy access to all of the shopping centers nearby for lunch or errands
    Managers are available when needed
    Work hard play hard is our motto
    I could keep going but bottom line is TSL is a great place to work and start or continue your career in marketing

Cons

A lot of people work remote so when they come to visit its like the holidays when your family is in town lots of hugging and reminiscing and then your sad when they leave because the house (office) isn't as lively. That would be my only con that everyone isn't here more.

"Telemarketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at TSL Marketing full-time

Pros

Company wants to provide a good work environment
    Free Coffee
    Continued internal Education
    Cutting edge marketing and open communication
    Open to new ideas
    Career progression that rewards productivity
    Capability to make some money
    As far as telemarketing business development, this is one of the best in the industry by far

Cons

Cubicle life on the phone
    Must make a certain amount of dials a day
    Some campaigns are created for the client even though they are bound to fail
    Successful campaigns are viewed as easy not recognized for the work and talent that made them successful. Some upper management are in positions that they are not the right fit and bring the culture down
    More business than they can handle at times

Advice to Management

Relax! You are one of the best. Make more room for innovative non telemarketing ways of business development. Don't protect the managers that don't promote an innovative culture.
    Create success projects and promote them to the customers. Talk to your talent about a project and see if it is a fit. Taking on projects just for the money and know it isn't a fit is bad for business and morale.
    Remember the personality of the company comes from the top down

"If it's more than 1 star, it's probably a fake review"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at TSL Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you need a job. This is one.

Cons

Easily the worst company I have ever come across, let alone worked for. So bad I experienced emotional distress and was in need of therapy. I'm honestly amazed they're still even in business. Highest turnover I've ever seen. Lowest pay imaginable. Micromanagement at it's best. Zero trust. Zero autonomy. I literally cannot say one good thing about this company and it's unfortunate they turn to writing fake reviews instead of addressing the matters at hand.

Advice to Management

Would be best if you all found new jobs and shut down the company. David English has no business being in charge of anything but himself and the only people who appreciate what he does for them are incredibly naive.

Feb 7, 2019 – Vice President, Customer Experience Group & Strategy

I would not normally dignify a review written with such animosity, but I did want to state that never and I mean never in the truest sense has any review been fabricated on this platform or any other.

"Great company with a dynamic vision"

Former Employee - Director of Digital Marketing in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Director of Digital Marketing in Columbia, MD

I worked at TSL Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with global brands
    Strong senior leaders and committed, smart team members
    Great current business model and exciting vision for future growth
    Collaborative environment that fosters growth
    Opportunity to build/execute integrated marketing efforts that are both inbound and outbound
    Fast-paced agency lifestyle is exciting

Cons

Fast-paced agency lifestyle is demanding
    Working with remote team members requires time management and planning, which is difficult for young employees

Advice to Management

Keep it going!

Jun 4, 2018 – Vice President, Customer Experience Group & Strategy

Thanks for the note and feedback. Jeff

"Lead Progression Specialist"

Former Employee - Lead Progression Specialist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Lead Progression Specialist in Denver, CO

I worked at TSL Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome team collaboration and training. Very positive influence from employees and managers. Very fair and understanding of issues associated with natural disasters by taking care of their employees in time of need.

Cons

Employee benefit package should be evaluated to ascertain a less expensive more reasonable employee contribution.

Advice to Management

Promote a fair experience for everyone in terms of productivity and performance. When there are few that excel, it puts in question the integrity of the organization. Simply put, share the wealth by providing all the representatives an equal share of the most sought after leads. Those leads that are provided as part of a list of prospects that are ready to reschedule a facilitation and for which a representative was either no longer with the company or had been moved to another campaign. It's apparent those leads are farmed out to a few chosen individuals. It makes them look good, but it has a negative effect on the morale of some of your most gifted representatives.

Jun 4, 2018 – Vice President, Customer Experience Group & Strategy

Good insight - we can certainly learn from your ideas. Thanks - Jeff

"Pipeline Management Consultant"

I have been working at TSL Marketing full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for those who want to work hard!

Cons

There are no cons that I can presently think of.

10. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at TSL Marketing full-time

Pros

I really enjoy the job because it gives me the opportunity to work remotely from home.

Cons

I am very new to this so I have not had any issues.

Jul 31, 2017 – Vice President, Customer Experience Group & Strategy

Glad you are enjoying your TSL experience so far. Keep open dialogue with your peers to ensure that you get everything you require to be successful!