TSYS|Total System Services Senior Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

TSYS|Total System Services CEO Troy Woods
Troy Woods
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • good work life balance in this one (in 60 reviews)

• Overall good company with good benefits (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Company culture is definitely small town Georgia, good-ole boy environment (in 11 reviews)

• Work life balance is very challenging in senior leadership positions (in 10 reviews)

"Work was good, until I was threatened; then the company retaliated"

Former Employee - Senior Internet Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Internet Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at TSYS|Total System Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Progressive technologies
    - fast advancement
    - "work-life" balance
    - lots of technologies (old and new) to explore and grow for professional gain

Cons

- work-remote opportunities are sparse and inflexible
    - management is stiff about office presence instead of finding suitable work-arounds for people with challenging situations
    - turnover is excessively high: in the last 12 months, 8 people hired in my department and only 2 remain, not including me.
    - infosec is not trusting of development, so research and hotfix resources are limited
    - on-call procedures are not well-defined, so 2am problems are more problematic due to everyone on the phone with their hair on fire and no idea what to do

Advice to Management

1) Find ways to hold middle-management accountable for when things go wrong.

I made a claim in good-faith that a manager threatened my job, she belittled and intimidated me, turning TSYS into a hostile work environment.

The company proceeded to retaliate against me by severing me from the project, denying me a raise, and writing me up on petty performance issues shortly after my report. I NEVER received a write-up on performance until after my report to HR...

The company made it clear that these kinds of behaviours are not only acceptable, but HR will protect managers, especially when they belittle and intimidate their employees. This manager who threatened me wasn't even MY manager, mind you!

This is not an institution I would recommend without severe scrutiny against middle-management and their tactics to take responsibility for claims made in good-faith. I don't see the integrity behind the statement "We have a strict no-retaliation policy" when HR did just that.

2) Find ways to allow for more employee growth
    A big complaint I heard was that TSYS is relatively flat.
    I was skeptical until I saw that there are basically 3 bars or levels of rank: worker, manager and leadership.
    Advancement is nearly impossible without establishing long-term relationships with upper-rank members and becoming "apart of the family". You have to know somebody to be something at this company. There should be places where employees who really stand out among the others can advance at least a little on paper and feel better about themselves.

3) Invite more work-remote opportunities
    TSYS has support for work-remote resources and is sorely missing the use of them. Managers are excessively routine about ensuring employees make an every-day face-to-face experience. Alternate solutions are available to provide workarounds for the sake of the business. Instead, the company feels it important to spend those resources ensuring all get to the office each day. Allow more flexibility, and you might find an increase in productivity!

"Dont join this company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pune (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pune (India)

I worked at TSYS|Total System Services (Less than a year)

Pros

- Salary offered is good
    But that's it.

Cons

- No professionalism
    - Politics played at each and every level
    - Voice is heard if you are an old employee (no one listens to new employee)
    - Taunting ( you feel like you are still in school)
    - HR never clearly talked about policies in HR Induction (for ex - if you have policy of cutting salary of sat/sun when employee is on leave for fri and monday for that week , you should clearly inform this in HR induction. at least you are suppose to)
    - Profile offered at the time of interview different than you actually work upon
    - Rude people
    - employees laugh sarcastically on new employees in meeting rooms also (though never understood the reason behind it )
    - When i asked HR about the director for pune office. I wanted to give feedback to him as they can do some changes, i was told I can fill the form and feedback will be given to him. This never works, all knows.

Advice to Management

Be open to employees. Be transparent. Encourage new employees so that they wont leave you. Otherwise please don't hire new one.