TUNE Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 9, 2018

3.6
Peter Hamilton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Easily has the best Work/Life Balance in the city" (in 12 reviews)

• "More often than not, you’ll find great people team wise, learning, growing together" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains of a startup on the rise, but that's fairly common" (in 8 reviews)

• "Morale has tanked across the company and people leave every week" (in 4 reviews)

"Very good time"

Current Employee - Developer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at TUNE part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, good culture, good products

Cons

The schedule could have been better

Advice to Management

Keep it up

2. "Life at Tune"

I have been working at TUNE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Create place to work. U can lear lots of technologies

Cons

Hard to move up the latter

"Favoritism and lack of mature management"

Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at TUNE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Food, dogs, great people, fun perks while we had them.

Cons

Impossible to get promotion unless you are close with people in leadership. Lack of direction after exponential growth in the early years. Hard working individuals don’t get the recognition they deserve. Rounds of layoffs affected the work environment drastically.

Advice to Management

It’s a sinking ship. Changes should have been made ages ago when problems arose but whether it be lack of experience of arrogance, the problems were allowed to fester.

"Many good people, but uncertain future"

I worked at TUNE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very smart and awesome people.
    Free and tasty hot breakfast and lunch.
    Extremely dog friendly.
    Good efforts to hire and develop employees from non-traditional backgrounds.
    Opportunities to stretch and grow during a challenging time.

Cons

Between the partial sale to Branch, layoffs, and people leaving TUNE has nearly halved headcount in a little more than a year.
    Morale and trust in leadership have suffered.
    Also compensation is generally below market.

Advice to Management

Learn from your mistakes instead of repeating them.

5. "Amazing Company Culture"

I have been working at TUNE full-time

Pros

People are great. Very little politics or drama. Relaxed environment. Best benefits of ANY comparable company. Great pay.

Cons

Product vision is sometimes blurry. Soft management.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to fire people who underperform.

"Good people trying to figure it out"

I have been working at TUNE full-time

Pros

Love the people/culture/environment; good location in the city with free parking and free food. An exec team that cares about its people.

Cons

It's in a tough spot. Facebook ended TUNE's partnership a while ago, which was key for growth. It has still survived, even thrived, but needs to figure out its next step(s). This can make advancement hard.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on where to take this thing... it has great bones.

"Needs FOCUS on Product and Culture"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at TUNE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Learning opportunities: Ability to learn on the job, both through structured opportunities (Geeks in the Woods, lunch and learn classes) and unstructured growth (you can and often must wear many hats). I had the chance to design infrastructure and write code, work with product, talk to our customer facing teams, write documentation, contribute to operational excellence etc. The limit to your role as an engineer is largely defined by the individual, if you have an excellent manager (and I did on my team).
    - Benefits: lunch is amazing. Geeks in the Woods is tons of fun. Medical and dental coverage were reasonable enough for relatively healthy young people.

Cons

- Product organization: During my three years at TUNE, we pivoted focus and came up with new product prioritization strategies more times than I can remember. The strategies rarely stuck and, most frustratingly, success was never thoroughly measured.
    - Lack of trust in upper management: See the above point. The higher-ups would frequently leave on retreats, and come back with ideas for the New and Improved TUNE, which was often frighteningly disconnected from the actual work that needs to be done. As an engineer on an on-call rotation, we had a great idea of what infrastructure needed to be improved, but that work was often pushed aside to make room for New and Improved TUNE. This disconnect leads to a lack of trust and communication between engineers and managers.
    - Inappropriate behavior: Startups and parties go hand-in-hand frequently, but some level of professionalism is important, to ensure that employees (particularly leadership) doesn't behave badly. There were a few incidences of women at the company being made to feel uncomfortable.
    - Bullies get their way: Yelling in meetings, emotional responses, sarcastic and snide comments in code reviews, disparaging comments about former employees, and lectures on personal (even non-work related) choices were frequent on my team (and others, I hear). The main perpetrators were largely protected by the company, because they are high-level technical contributors. A complaint about such an individual was frequently met with a chuckle and a, "well, you know him!"

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineers, they know what is about to keel over. Make unconscious bias training mandatory, and keep an eye out for sketchy behavior. Don't be afraid to get rid of technically proficient people who are impossible to work with. Hire more Ops people.

The product is filling an important gap in the market, there is so much potential here to go far! Let the recently hired leadership professionals (CCO, CFO) do their job and help the company move forward.

"No Ethics, No Vision, No Money, No 401k"

Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I worked at TUNE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great in house catered lunches.

Cons

Management at an executive level. Google what happened to Intel's last CEO. This company has the same issue. Beyond that, the company has over spent on Events, Private Destination parties, and Executive Retreats. I worked there for over 5 years, and never did they present any kind of numbers of the ROI or measurement they got back from any of their spending.

Their flagship product has become a joke, the product is slow and unstable.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, the writing is on the wall, it will be the best decision.

"Sooner or later the ride is over... it’s Been over!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at TUNE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great kitchen/food and perks in Seattle. Great shwag! Some cool people

Cons

Unless you are in Seattle you get no kitchen, bad shwag and almost no perks. The place is run by kids who think they are the smartest people in the space. You need to be part of the Tune fraternity to have growth. Truth is almost no one does anything but pass blame on others. Bad management by kids and burning through $$ like it’s going out of style put you in the predicament you are in now. Too many good people let go or left out of frustration! Look in the mirror and realize you are the reason why people left. It’s only a matter of time before the fire sale begins. Competition and Facebook tracking issues buried you. While you were wasting money on boat trips, post back speakers that cost over $150k and rediculous trade show booths, your competitors were waiting behind you gobbling up the business at a 10th the cost of what you paid to be at those events. Look at your stagnant senior management who sits atop hi and mighty and reflect on the greatness you had many years ago. Maybe you should worry more about your business than who is sleeping with one another. Tune and the Sopranos have the same moniker....it’s over!!!

Advice to Management

Get rid of your senior execs. Just because they gave stuff away at reduculous rates when they were sales people many years ago doesn’t make them leaders. It’s makes them sales people. 95% of the problems you have are because of them. you had an opportunity to sell the company years ago for crazy $$$ and you didn’t. Absolutely stupid!! 10th place ribbons must feel great! Oh yeah, HR is a complete joke.

"Truly the Best Place I've Ever Worked!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at TUNE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a company that truly listens to employees and maintains a high level of transparency when it comes to making business decisions. The leadership has a consistent open-door policy and makes it easy to speak up about questions and concerns. I've never had so much freedom to take risks, question processes, create change and be creative in a tech environment. The culture of the company is unmatched to anything I've ever experienced in my career, and the amazing daily cooked meals are an added bonus.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is the lack of 401K matching but I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on it.

Advice to Management

Keep making your employees feel heard and valued, the recognition for the work we do here means a lot!