TWG Insurance "hard work" Reviews | Glassdoor

TWG Insurance Employee Reviews about "hard work"

Updated Sep 17, 2013

4.0
TWG Insurance CEO Mark E. Jones (no image)
Mark E. Jones
Pros
  • "Fun work environment, including extracurricular activities once or more each week(in 14 reviews)

• "Hard work is rewarded, no politics involved(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "The learning curve coupled with the small paycheck at the beginning plus long hours don't add up to be worth it for a lot of people(in 11 reviews)

• "You basically work in a glorified call center, so you are constantly getting phone calls(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "hard work"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Amazing Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

TWG is a relatively young company, since we've been around for only 10 years. This offers you the unique opportunity to grow your career with a company that is growing with you. Most managers have been promoted from within, so as the company grows that provides more opportunities to advance your position. The pay structure and compensation is excellent. First year agents have base plus commission and the next year are compensated solely off of commissions. The executive team is extremely knowledgeable and have the company growing in a smart, sustainable way. They also take input from employees and use that to improve processes or fix issues. I also like that depending on what you want out of your career, there is a defined career path that correlates with that.

Cons

The job can be hard work and you will put in a lot of hours your first year, but I don't think that is outside of the norm, since that will be the case just about anywhere you go.

TWG Insurance2013-09-17

"I will begin and end my career at TWG"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Houston, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Fun and energetic culture, of like-minded individuals! -The people I work are the people I would rather associate myself with because of their desire to be great! -Limitless growth potential. I sincerely mean this when I say "Limitless" -Constant Improvement. You're manager and team will always find ways to improve. I like this because I'm a firm believer in never accepting mediocrity. -Great Leadership, I can't stress that enough. Our leaders running the company care more about their employees than any other company I've come across. -Flexible schedule. After I worked a couple years in the company, I now have the freedom to work more hours scheduled the way I need it.

Cons

When you start out you will probably work longer hours and make less money compared to your friends. It's a sales job, and there will always be hard times. With hard work, determination and TIME you will be success at this job.

TWG Insurance2013-05-29

"TWG is a Workplace Second to None- It has been a great experience."

Current Employee - Finance Assistant in Irving, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great environment- For the most part, everyone seems happy while at work. TWG does a great job recruiting young employees to come to work hard and are very easy to get along with. I have not come across a single employee that I have had any major problems with. Although the sales environment may feel a little tense and stressful, everyone seems to enjoy themselves while working together to create a successful company. The different executive, service, sales and finance teams are all well-organized, and are led by managers and directors that do a great job in motivating the team members to work hard, and even reward employees for different achievements and goals that they hit. -Hours are great- For some, the hours may seem long, but I have personally enjoyed my schedule because I feel that when I am focused in on getting my work done, the time seems to fly by! My manager has actually helped work my schedule around some other obligations I have. I am very surprised by the amount of flexibility I have. -Employee rewards/ Quarterly Activities- Corporate does a great job in recognizing and making known the successes of the company as a whole, as well as productive individuals. The CEO, does a great job in reflecting on the company's progress monthly, and sends emails out to the entire company thanking everyone for their hard work. I feel that he does a great job in trying to stay down on the employees' level, and seems to act as a coach to a team rather than a just a CEO to a big company. He talks as if he is working together with everyone to reach a goal. He constantly glorifies those who hit both company and personal goals, and rewards those individuals with cash incentives. Also, corporate sponsors quarterly activities that are a great way to bring the company together for some team-building fun. For example, the company has started annual dodgeball and volleyball "deathmatches". In addition to these activities, the company also has a massive Christmas party to reward employees for working hard throughout the year. -Company success- TWG has boomed as other companies have fallen during this recession. Many companies have had to make massive lay-offs, but TWG has continued to expand, and has even been able to open up a franchise. Employees at TWG have the luxury of having a secure job where they don't have to worry about lay-offs, because the company has shown its strength as it has begun to become an economic powerhouse. -The company brings in breakfast (donuts and bagels) on Fridays !

Cons

-The sales environment may seem a little stressful, as any other sales job would. Some employees are put into a probationary period if they are unable to produce and benefit the company. -Expectations are high. If you are not willing to work hard and put time and effort into your job, TWG is not for you. Directors and managers expect that you will be able to work hard and produce results. -The majority of compensation for most is based on commission, meaning you will only make as much as you sell. If you cannot produce, you may be disappointed when your paycheck comes around. -Some people may be asked to work weekends if they are behind on their sales. Although this may extend their hours in the workweek, it can help boost their amount of commission coming in at the end of the month. -Personality is a fairly big part of this job. If you are a sales agent or a service associate and you cannot handle talking on the phone with people, or are unable to relate to clients, you may find that you have a hard time being productive.

TWG Insurance2012-07-12

"Great Sales Experience-This is a Career"

Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance

Pros

I had no idea what glassdoor was until some of my co-workers were discussing the site one day in the office. I asked one of my closest colleagues to describe exactly what the site’s purpose was and what was going on. Some of the top producers in the company had recently quit or had been let go…and the rumor mill was in full force. My friend informed me that the site contained multiple misleading reviews about the company, but some of the reviews were quite accurate. I worked at TWG for less than two years, and I saw everything. From close friends unexpectedly quitting, to top agents being fired for insubordination…you couldn’t predict what would happen when you walked in the door for work. Because the company is so young, the culture is constantly evolving. The pay structure, the hours, the incentives, the parties, the rules, the atmosphere, the morale, and the people are always subject to change. If you have a hard time adapting to change, TWG is not the place for you. The company is still in its infancy, and everyone from the new agent in the training room to the CEO is constantly learning and adapting. I joined TWG because I didn’t want to join a large company with a corp environment right after college. I wanted to be recognized for my hard work through promotions as quick as possible, and I wanted to learn sales. I don’t regret my decision for one minute. Clearly, if you read all of these reviews you will understand that this job isn’t for the lackadaisical. You must be cognizant of the fact that this job is quite difficult. You will be tested mentally, physically, and most of all emotionally. You will feel bored, annoyed, angry, and discouraged…welcome to sales. Every month you are expected to work your butt off. However, the harder you work the more you will get back. Everyone has a hard time making the transition from college to their first “real world” job. I feel as though TWG received a lot of negative press from the employees who couldn’t handle the pressure and time commitment expected of you here. This is sales people, this is a career…not a walk in the park. You can’t wake up and “take the day off” like you could in school. You are constantly on the grind, and every day you are busy. In college, I followed most of my classmates in the “work hard..play hard” mentality. At TWG you can definitely play hard, but you must work efficiently. It was hard for me to leave TWG in order to pursue a different career in my hometown. After working in financial services for almost three months, I actually missed the insurance business. I now work on the commercial side of the insurance arena, but I definitely owe TWG credit for giving me an invaluable sales experience. The least I could do was write an honest review on this site. Pros: -You can actually see your contribution in the overall success of the company. -I was never micromanaged; just do your job and you won’t be bothered. Work hard…perform well. You will be rewarded with flex-time, longer lunches etc. -The company is constantly growing, and doing extremely well. -Incredible office and location. Las Colinas is rapidly becoming a premier location for businesses. -The opportunities for advancement come at you quickly. Your overall performance can open doors. -Your manager actually cares about your success, their paycheck depends on it. -The people. Everyone is young and full of energy. The competition pushes you to strive for excellence. Everyone is working just as hard as you are, so everyone is ready to unwind after a long day. -Constant opportunities for happy hours, Rangers/Stars/Mavs games, volleyball, kickball, and weekend getaways. -Goal hit lunches and dinners, occasional cash incentives. -The relationships your build with your coworkers. All my friends looked at me like I was crazy when I told them I was going to hang out with my co-workers during the weekend. I find that to be a very unique quality. I consider many of my old colleagues as best friends and trustworthy advisors. -Hours. You can leave at 6pm if you want, they will never force you to stay. However, if you aren’t working a little more than the official office hours at your first job, you will not succeed. The day flies by if you are working efficiently. -You do not have to come in on Saturday, if you want to you can. The previous posts are BS. -The CEO values honesty, integrity, and hard work. The company’s successes and failures ride on his shoulders. He is clearly leading this company in the right direction. He truly cares about all of his employees. -You have the potential to earn commission your first year. The agents in my start group who could sell and who worked hard saw bonuses and commission. -Call center in Manilla does all the “cold calling”. These leads are handed to you on a silver platter. -The Risk Management Dept does a fantastic job, they are there to protect the company and the agents.

Cons

-Selling is a roller coaster ride, you feel on top of the world one day...but the next you feel helpless. -No ownership of your book. Once you leave TWG, your book of clients goes to the corporate account. -Commission percentages could be adjusted. -High pressure. "call center" atmosphere -Benefits could be better.

TWG Insurance2012-03-27

"Great learning experience in building a business"

Director in Colleyville, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance

Pros

There is great potential to move up and build the business. Getting involved from the ground up in a start-up company is rare, and I value the time I worked at TWG. The atmosphere is young, vibrant and energetic. This too is a rare find, and unlike many large companies where you only know the people in your department, TWG is much more inclusive and team-oriented. They are great with team-building activities and you do feel closer to your coworkers. Hard work is expected and if you apply yourself, management will recognize your accomplishments. The compensation structure for entry level salaried employees is competitive. TWG focuses on hiring very smart and future-focused employees, so it is a great atmosphere to voice your opinion on better ways to do the job.

Cons

Senior management during my tenure was for the most part young, so nearly all of the mentorship came from the CEO. In my experience I found it difficult to balance work and my personal life as there was always much more work than I could complete during work hours. We always looked for ways to re-engineer and re-organize methods, but with each efficiency realized came a larger workload. Coming in early, working late, working on weekends and on vacation was typical for me. Taking time off was difficult because of the amount of work that piled up while you were gone.

TWG Insurance2011-08-09

"Phenomenal Structure Compared to Previous Sales/Consulting Positions I've had; but Definitely Not for Everyone."

Account Executive in Irving, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance

Pros

If you have the fortitude and desire to work hard, smart and ethically to earn a great long-term living with reasonable job security and a positive working environment, this is an excellent place for you: The most important word in the previous sentence is the word "If." A ton of the posts on this site highlight a romanticized view of the perfect job for everyone, and others are clearly posted by disgruntle employees upset about their lack of success in the workplace or the fact that they were caught doing things they shouldn't. One of the things I respect most about this company is that no one employee is view by the upper management as 'above the law' so to speak. I have worked in various corporate environments and learned that unfortunately incompetence and laziness are simply a matter of life with many of America's top companies (name banks, hospital, government agency or restaurant to your self and observe their employees if you doubt this). At TWG I have a daily goal which is reasonably realistic (admittedly aggressive, as any progressive sales company should be), and a weekly and monthly goal based on this number that I am expected to achieve; and rewarded when I do so. I fully acknowledge that the company's checks and balance system will become aware if I engage in any destructive practices. This means that I have absolutely zero incentive to try to lie, cheat or steal my way to the top. I have to rely solely on my principles, sales skills, and hard work to achieve success. The income structure clearly supports employees who have a long-term commitment to the company, and justifiably so. Realistically, why would any relatively young company reward fair-weather employees? I, personally, want to work for a company that I know is providing a service to its clients, and will benefit me long-term for helping to provide that service. Quite honestly, I don't care much about the first year's income; with the economy as it is I'm thankful that I haven't had to miss a paycheck since I started work after College. I'm more concerned that I will be able to support my family when they need me years down the road, that I'll be able to retire comfortably and enjoy a long-lasting career without the stress of job hopping every few years. The innovative nature of the company is also quite impressive. Having bought and sold several houses prior to employment here, and helping dozens of others to do the same, I have never seen many of the features utilized by TWG in this industry. It is very refreshing to be able to correctly state to my friends that no other insurance company that I know of does business the way that we do, and that I can confidently state that for a very large majority of our prospective customers, we are poised to provide them the best service available. (Hats off to our service team for this, especially) The lower level management system currently in place is proving to be pretty effective as well. I have regular meetings behind closed doors with my immediate supervisor so that I can discuss any issues or concerns that I have with my performance, with my co-workers, etc. I have yet to have an concern that wasn't answered swiftly and to my satisfaction. While no management style is perfect for everyone, the "How Can We Help You Be Successful" attitude is immensely appreciated. Even when I have been behind my projected goal (and have been a few times), meetings focus on the necessary changes required to return my production numbers back into the black. It's never a question of "Why are you under performing" but has so far always been "I know you can perform better; how can I help you reach your potential?"

Cons

If you want a 9-5 job that will let you get by with minimum effort and no real commitment and dedication, please don't waste your time or our corporate resources. Is this the easiest job ever? No Will you work long hours? Yes Will you earn more than the Salary the first year? No (in fact, the CEO informed me prior to my accepting the offer letter that I should anticipate earning at or around the salary the first year) Will there be pressure to work overtime? Not if you work hard during the regular 44 hour work week! Do I work more than the required 44 hours? Yes, solely because of my poor (but improving) time management skills, and has only included one Saturday due to a ton of missed production days that I needed to catch up from. If you plan on working for a year or two, then moving on to something else, please don't even apply for this position. Since the model is based for long-term employee benefit and retention your first year will require a lot more work than other sales jobs. If you want to make 100K your first year out of college, then go sell mortgages and accept the risk of no residual income if your sales falter. If you can accept a modest income while you build a book of business worthy of being rewarded year after year, then the model works for you. The job is office based. You will likely be at a desk for a year doing nothing but selling insurance. If you join with the intentions of moving on to bigger and better things within the company, make sure that you can accept paying your dues becoming proficient at phone-based sales before you expect anyone to give you a shot at any more prestigious positions or sales models. If you can't handle rejection, don't like pressure, or are easily frustrated with customers doing illogical things this probably not a good fit for you. Since we service a very broad market we see a lot of people make poor choices and it can be very frustrating when people tell you "no" for the sole reason that they are willingly doing the wrong thing because it takes less effort or feels better. Again I stress the largest con: This job requires a lot of work. At times it feels futile (as any sales agent will tell you on a bad day) to try to keep up with all of the activities and follow ups with customers that require attention. Sometimes I feel so limited by my time management that I have no clue how more senior agents produce so well and maintain their work-life balance. Any new hires should remember to focus long term, and always practice principles that hold true regardless of scale. I'm working on this greatly, and have improved some, but am still not as efficient as I would like to be, and will likely take a good bit longer to satisfy myself. Also, if you're the type of sales person prone to manipulate, fabricate, mislead, or otherwise misrepresent material information just to get the sale or earn the revenue, don't even bother with TWG. The checks and balance system will catch you, and is ever-improving. While honest mistakes happen, it is very evident that malicious behavior of this nature is not tolerated, regardless of how much revenue you're bringing in.

TWG Insurance2011-06-17

"TWG Insurance is the right place for ambitious and dedicated people."

in Irving, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance

Pros

Hard work is rewarded, no politics involved. The work you put in is recognized by management. Management does a great job helping you develop your strengths and strengthen your weaknesses. Promotions and compensation are fair and merit based. Fun work environment and plenty of events/parties that allow for socializing outside of the office.

Cons

Just like every other company, some coworkers who don't want to put in the hard work necessary to develop their own skills and to further the productivity of the company as a whole can create negativity in the office.

TWG Insurance2011-05-23

"Positive learning experience"

in Irving, TX

I worked at TWG Insurance

Pros

1) you get to learn from the best 2) you don't have to wait 15 years to get a promotion 3) fun work environment, great people 4) commission on new sales + commission on renewals

Cons

1) not everyone can sell 2) people who are allergic to hard work can bring down office morale

TWG Insurance2011-06-01

"TWG, a great place to begin a career"

Client Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance

Pros

TWG is going to teach you a lot about business, sales, and work life balance. Many jobs out of college don't offer a fraction of the experience that TWG offers. At TWG, what you put in is what you get out, and they provide the tools, leadership, and knowledge to make your goals a reality.

Cons

This job is not for everyone. You need to be hard-working, determined, great at sales, and have great time management. I wouldn't say that the pay is bad, but it is not a "get rich quick" job by any means. The money is there to make, but it will take time and hard work to get where you want to be. The hours are a bit demanding, as well as the stress to succeed, but any job with this much to offer should be honestly.

TWG Insurance2010-08-12

"Not For Everyone"

Client Associate in Colleyville, TX

I have been working at TWG Insurance

Pros

TWG is a great place to work - For those who are reading this because you are searching for your first job out of college, this really is a great opportunity! But as the headline states, it's simply not for everyone. As long as you understand that you are WORKING toward a better future for yourself, by building your own book of business that you will continue to make money off of for as long as you are with the company - in addition to a salary and bonus opportunities, then you will do just fine. This job definitely demands hard work, and Sales is a mental game - so sometimes you are completely discouraged, while other times you are on top of the world and sell every person you speak with - Keep a long term vision and remember that in the end, you will make more money at this job over-time than at most other jobs. One of the best things about TWG is the people. We're a pretty great group - your leaders will support and encourage you to do better, your teamates will make you laugh and keep the atmosphere light and fun, and your CEO will ALWAYS have your best interests at heart. Because the company is new, you will have more opportunities to be given leadership roles. The chance of becoming a manager quickly is much more likely here than at a lot of other jobs. As soon as 6 months at this job you can be asked to help with recruiting and be given other responsibilities that will help build your resume. In the event that you start here and realize that this job isn't right for you, you will at least walk away as a Licensed Profressional, that alone will help your resume stand out amongst the rest. Likewise, your Client Associate position at TWG will push you to build a network of business professionals - if you put in the effort, this network will help you to be very successful and also make your day-to-day job more enjoyable. Whether you become a TWG-Lifer or decide to part-ways, your network is YOUR network and they will certainly help you continue to be successful - it's good to know people.

Cons

No doubt about it, the hours can be rough. Having to come in on Saturdays to make sure you goal-hit can be exhausting! However, while it is implied that you should come in on a Saturday if you are behind, coming in on the weekend is not a requirement - most people do it because we are a hard-working group of individuals and we know we have to do everything we can to reach our goals, otherwise we didn't really try. The salary is small. 35K aint nothin to write home about, but it's the long-term profit potential that we're after - so if that's not your game, then this job may not be right for you. And that's ok, no harm done - just know what you're getting into and try to find a job that's a good fit for you. No job will be easy, no job worth-having anyway.

TWG Insurance2010-05-28

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 17 reviews